Might pickup an 2005 Vulcan 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Might pickup an 2005 Vulcan 750

Hello everyone,

I might be picking up a 2005 Vulcan 750. I have been reading the forums just to familiarize myself with this model bike. I see that the dampers and cam chain can be an issue and a possible chatter from the clutch. The bike has 2800 miles on it so I hope thiese are not an issue. Anything else you can suggest I look at? I have only seen pic's so far, and this Saturday I plan on seeing it in person.

I'm looking to use this as a commuter to and from work.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Nailz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
the charging system can be an issue, not much room for elec access. also if you buy do a spline lube as some models were not done well at the factory but its a quick and easy job. other than that its a great all around bike!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The balance dampers are mostly an issue on the early models, especially if the bike sat a lot. A 2005 should be fine for many years. With as few miles as the bike has, you shouldn't hear any cam chain noise. When the ACCT springs eventually fail, go to MCCTs and you're set for the life of the bike. The tires are probably original, but are five years old. That's getting up there in age and for safety you should consider replacing them, no matter how good they look. You will want to replace the wet cell battery ASAP because they can leak and damage the frame and electronics attached to the battery box. MF, AGM batteries don't have this problem, last longer, and have more cranking amps. Read the Vulcan Verses section of the forum if you haven't already.

You didn't say if you are a new rider or not. If you are, google buying a used motorcycle for tips on what to look for.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I will check what you have suggested for sure. I am not new to motorcycles, I've been riding for quite a few years. I am looking at this bike as a commuter to and from work (50 mile round trip). I work in downtown Atlanta, GA and I have to park in "not so well secured" areas. I had a VN1500 about 10 years ago and I really enjoyed it. I have a chance to pick up the 750 at a good deal if the seller and I can work it all out.

Here's a pic of my current ride, and I hope it gets some garage time with the Vulcan 750.

Some past one's also... I miss these bikes!
I built this one to be a really nice HP/TQ monster.

My Road King loaded up and ready to ride to Bike Week in Daytona.

My first Wide Glide

I hope to add the Vulcan to the list and put some miles on her!

Thanks!
Nailz
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You have a DWG and are looking at a Vulcan 750? I really like my Vulcan 750, but the Wide Glide is my favorite Harley. I am currently looking for a non EFI EVO powered Electra Glide. Want something simple and easy to work on, with plenty of parts availability, and comfortable enough for long trips. I'm 51, and have severe arthritis. I' also an auto mechanic, and I want to be able to work on and rebuild anything on the bike.

As for the Vulcan 750, unless it has been crashed or seriously abused, you won't have anything to worry about on a bike that new with that few miles. Just do the spline lube right away (they didn't do it right at the factory) and you will be fine for a long time. Just routine service, and the Vulcan 750 doesn't require much of that. I put 80,000+ miles on a '93, and currently have 45,000 on an '02. Next bike WILL be a Harley. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Lebanon, NJ

Mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Just do the spline lube right away (they didn't do it right at the factory) and you will be fine for a long time.
My 2000 VN750 (splines) was done correctly at the factory.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
You have a DWG and are looking at a Vulcan 750? I really like my Vulcan 750, but the Wide Glide is my favorite Harley. I am currently looking for a non EFI EVO powered Electra Glide. Want something simple and easy to work on, with plenty of parts availability, and comfortable enough for long trips.

Thanks for the reply Jerry. I would rather not park my DWG where I have to park in Atlanta if you know what I mean. As for the EVO, it is a really nice motor. Two of my buddies have them and one went 110K miles before rebuild (bike was still running ok, he just wanted to have a rebuild done over the winter) and the other is at 86 to 90K with the original motor and it runs fine and uses no oil. And parts are very easy to find as you mentioned.

I get to see the Vulcan tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed. I am really hoping it all works out and I end up with a nice commuter!

Thanks,
Nailz
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:06 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Hello everyone,

I might be picking up a 2005 Vulcan 750. I have been reading the forums just to familiarize myself with this model bike. I see that the dampers and cam chain can be an issue and a possible chatter from the clutch. The bike has 2800 miles on it so I hope thiese are not an issue. Anything else you can suggest I look at? I have only seen pic's so far, and this Saturday I plan on seeing it in person.

I'm looking to use this as a commuter to and from work.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Nailz
Where are you in GA?

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

South Metro Atlanta
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Drive less, ride more...

I picked up my '05 VN750 off of Ebay back in '06, and it's been a good bike, for the most part.

Check for battery "vomit" underneath the bike's battery box. The bike's regulator/rectifier sits there, and its wiring (or the frame, and/or paint) may have been attacked by a battery spill.

The ACCT's on my bike went out at just over 9k miles. If you replace them with the available MCCT's, this will solve this problem.

The rear spline lube had been done at the factory, but the redo certainly didn't hurt. I would strongly recommend you look into this and have it done very soon, if you buy the bike.

The clutch "chatter" only occurs when the bike is cold, and goes away when the powertrain gets hot; otherwise, it is really harmless.

It's interesting to me that you are obviously a "Harley" guy but you find the VN750 inviting. These bikes are worlds apart in terms of design and personality. With the Vulcan, the engine really doesn't hit its main stride until about 4-5k on the tach (and pulls hard thereafter), where most other cruisers are running out of breath. These motors truly have a high-rpm design to them, so keep that in mind as you consider it.

A maintenance-free battery is truly a godsend to bikes like these, for multiple reasons. I (also) recommend that you replace the bike's battery with one, if it doesn't have it already. When replacement time comes, consider using iridium-tipped spark plugs to make starting easier, and plug replacement a thing of the past.

Unlike most Harleys and bullet bikes, these Vulcans are not on the radar of most bike thieves, so you should have a positive experience there with this bike.

NOTE: The aftermarket world has basically all but forgotten that this bike exists, so if you want to later add accessories you'll have to think "outside the box" most of the time and use some real creativity. Fortunately, a lot of that has already been done on this forum.

Also: if you park the bike out of the weather (i.e., where humidity is controlled or eliminated), and keep it waxed and/or polished, it will stay good-looking for a long time. Otherwise, these bikes rust fairly quickly--especially in certain places.

If you buy the bike, relocate the regulator/rectifier as described elsewhere on this forum--especially if you use the bike consistently as a commuter.

Do a search for "phantom gas syndrome" on this forum, and know what to do if/when it happens. It's a relatively easy problem to solve.

Lots of really good info and people on this forum. Stick around....

Atlanta commutes can be really nasty, even on 4 wheels. BE CARE-FUL!!!!....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement