Rusty riders - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Exclamation Rusty riders

For those of us who don't live where it is warm enough to ride all year,I noticed on another thread,something I felt should be brought up in its own post,I have got to ride for a few weeks now but some may just be getting out.
We all know to check our bikes out after a long winters nap,but we should also check out our own skills and sharpen them up a bit along with watching the roadway a bit more than normal for potholes and other winter damage.
You veteran riders already know this I am sure,but we have quite a few newbies that may have never had to start over after extended winter down time, so be extra careful on the first few rides ,so you can get on here and tell all of us what a good ride you had .And one more thing watch out for cage drivers they have forgotten about us since last fall,if they even knew we were there to begin with.Now get out and enjoy yourself and b.e safe,If any body needs to add something I missed jump in ,I know how bashful everyone is here(sarcasm)haha.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 04-10-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Great reminder! I'm definitely new and will be spending a lot of time and effort just developing some first time skills.

But, for those more experienced, is there anything special you do at the beginning of the riding season to "sharpen up" (i.e., riding drills) or is it more of a mindset; an attitude of being extra cautious 'til you get back in the groove??

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Yeppers, very good advise especially for us young riders...lol...
No joke, really it is good advise, we all need to freshen up the bike and our skills a bit, I really noticed it the first 2 or 3 times I rode this year, I feel like I got older too, not smarter, just older and fatter. ...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
new owner

new, old owner here, its been about 10 years sicne i had my last bike (cb750 with full vetter setup). Getting on a 750 vulcan with a small windshield and forward controls, and my "rust". It was pretty sad. First my 42 year old short legs even had a tough time gettin over the low seat (man this bike is so perfectly set up for me, me feet are flat on ground at all times when sitting). start to understand how tight the old muscles get when not used. The last bike i road (for about 5 minutes) was a duel sport 250, this bike makes you "turn" it, its got heavy stearing (compares to the little 250). Then the forweard controls, wow! whole new ballgame for me, very un-natural right now, lots of practice in safe low used areas for me (good thing its a fun kind of practice) maybe a parkinglot. Right now i must say new handlebars (buttons are all vaugly the same spots, but is still new) and forward controls.. I need some "refresh" time for sure. But as I said, its all fun no matter, so...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
We all know to check our bikes out after a long winters nap,but we should also check out our own skills and sharpen them up a bit along with watching the roadway a bit more than normal for potholes and other winter damage.
Good advice.

This weekend is the first bit of decent weather we have had in the UK since last summer and the dry miles only bikers are out in large numbers all over the place. Judging from the way they ride, from what I have seen today for many of them it is a very scary experience.

Mine is a Red one.
Colour matched Bungee straps
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post

But, for those more experienced, is there anything special you do at the beginning of the riding season to "sharpen up" (i.e., riding drills) or is it more of a mindset; an attitude of being extra cautious 'til you get back in the groove??
Part is mindset, this is something that was touched on in a different thread, and everyone has their own way of dealing with this..but to be breif...make sure you are paying attention to everything around you.

The rusty part I would suggest just taking everything slow and deliberate...like you have a carton of eggs balanced on the seat behind you that you do not want to lose. Practice being smooth. Then, go to a parking lot and practice being rough...stopping hard, turning quick, and taking off fast...so you have a feel again for the limits the bike has....and what it can do when an emergency occours.

The key is baby steps...take the bike out around the block a few times and get a feel for all the controls again. Gradualy work your way up, as opposed to going full tilt boogy the first day out.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
Great reminder! I'm definitely new and will be spending a lot of time and effort just developing some first time skills.

Great thread to start denny. If anyone needs some sharpening up after a two year forced hiatus from riding, it is me. The parking lot where the local riding course is taught, is unused until 7 pm on all weekdays, and on some evenings too. I will headed over there to practice slow riding figure eights, U-turns etc. as well as some maximum threshold stops, starts and quick turns.

The front brake and I do not have as intimate relationship as we should. It is likely a result of when I did a sommersault off of a 175 Kawi Can-Am dirt bike back in 1975, when I grabbed a handful of front brake on a dirt road with a little gravel. It made me a bit shy of the right hand lever even 33 years later when I got my Vulcan. It is time to get over it now.

In answer to johnm's question, I suggest going over to the the safety forum and scanning down the table of contents for some likely looking topics, and read a few of them. I found at least 3 or 4 topics on the first page that I am going back to review, when I finish this post. Here is a link to the safety forum table of contents for you all to take a quick look to see what you may need to brush up on.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Here is another excellent link to 258 MC safety tips:
www.msgroup.org

David Hough's book "Proficient Motorcycling", is an excellent book and IMHO should be considered required reading for all MC riders, and re-read at the begining of each season. One thing he preaches is a 12 second awareness or safety bubble in front and 2 or 3 seconds to the rear and side of the bike. 12 seconds in commonly travelled 40 MPH city traffic translates to about 700 feet or 2 city blocks. That may seem a lot to watch, but he descibes how to do it, to stay safely out of harms way.

After reading, and some new season practice on a parking lot or little used roads, I think your word "mindset", describes perfectly what we need to get right before throwing a leg over the saddle. While letting the bike warm up and doing the pre-ride inspection, gearing up etc., start thinking about the ride and push the problems of the day to the side.

I recall one rider telling how he decided if he was ready to ride on a particular day. He had a stop sign about 2 blocks from home. When got to it, he would try to remember what he had seen in the past two blocks. If he could recall, for example, that there were 3 kids playing with a ball in the yard of the blue house on the right side of the road half a block from home, four cars parked on the right side with one running and the front wheels pointed out, and a car waiting to back off a driveway on the left side just half a block back, he considered that he was "in the groove" and ready to ride. If he couldn't recall what he had seen, he concluded that he was preoccupied with too many other things and probably shouldn't ride that day.

I suppose we all have to come up with some method to self monitor our ability and emotional state to ride at any given time. If you are riding with friends, you can watch out for each other, and call for a break or end the ride early if someone is just not quite in their game.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Columbus, Ohio

I usually fall down once or twice to remind me to be careful. I need to remember that there is a lot of sand on the road at the end of winter, that wet leaves are slippery, and that riding with partial choke is asking for either of these things to dump your ass. I don't have a lot of years riding, but I have a lot of miles. My biggest problem is getting my head out of that dark, warm place and into the sunshine.
I believe that drivers are more aware of bikes in the spring time than any other time of year, although that may not translate into safer driving. They see all the bikes that were gone all winter, and sometimes they see me falling down.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkonst View Post
I usually fall down once or twice to remind me to be careful. I need to remember that there is a lot of sand on the road at the end of winter, that wet leaves are slippery, and that riding with partial choke is asking for either of these things to dump your ass. I don't have a lot of years riding, but I have a lot of miles. My biggest problem is getting my head out of that dark, warm place and into the sunshine.
I believe that drivers are more aware of bikes in the spring time than any other time of year, although that may not translate into safer driving. They see all the bikes that were gone all winter, and sometimes they see me falling down.
Been there done that,and was hoping some one might benefit less painfully ,from my experience's and obviously yours too ,hah!On a serious note there are some very helpful suggestions that have been posted in this thread and thanks every one for reminding us all to be more attentive .Ultimately our own safety is our own responsibility and most accidents can be traced back to an operator error,not all ,but I would hazard a guess that it applies to most incidents that occur that we are possibly partially at fault even if it is just not recognizing how squirrelly the guy next to us is acting or what is going on on down the road from us,or how we try to position ourselves in traffic so when can be seen whether waiting at a light or under way,Denny

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
bumping once for safety sake

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement