And so it begins... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

And so it begins...

I was rather hoping not to have to start taking my bike to bits until it needed a service but what with bikes being bikes and a shocking shortage of virgins to sacrifice around these parts this is obviously not going to happen.

For the past 2 weeks or so it has become increasingly reluctant to start from cold and in the last three days reluctant from hot too. Today it is just not having it at all.

All the indications point to flooding. So, after flattening the battery and drawing unwanted attention from the Police Armed Response Unit with the backfires I decided the problem was not going to go away all on it's own and it was time to pull the plugs and have a look.

The back cylinder is fine, nice, dry, brown coloured plugs that could have easily been the model for The Correct One in the manual. The front is a little different, as black as it gets and soaking wet. I think I have found a clue. I have certainly found a symptom, now all I need to do is chase down and fix the cause

Unfortunately I cannot do much about it today as the battery is in desperate need of a charge and dusk is only an hour or so away. Tomorrow though I dive in. I just hope I do not end up having to take the carbs off. I really don't want to do this yet. Really I don't.

Boy am I glad I have my SR250 in the back garden as an emergency reserve to go shopping. I cannot imagine what life would be like if I ran out of beer as well.

Hey Ho, the joys of motorcycle ownership, who would be without it?

Mine is a Red one.
Colour matched Bungee straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I am no expert, but it sounds like the front carb fuel bowl valve may have some trash holding it open and allowing fuel to run into the cylinder.

You can open the drain screw for the front carb and drain gas into clear bottle, then check for anything that should not be there. Take both plugs out of the front cylinder to let it dry out. Try spraying some aerosol carb cleaner or fuel injector cleaner into the drain to fill the carb and bowl. Leave it sit overnight, then drain again. This may clean out any small debris you have in there. Try starting the bike now. If it still won`t start, repeat the procedure another time or two. If it won`t start then, it is probably time for pulling the carbs and giving them a good cleaning. 8( Good luck to you mate.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I am no expert, but it sounds like the front carb fuel bowl valve may have some trash holding it open and allowing fuel to run into the cylinder.

You are almost certainly right. This is exactly what I am expecting it to be but not having instant access to Seafoam or similar then realistcally there is only one way to be sure and that is to take it apart and see.

I shall not be doing any more to it today though. I am just having a cup of tea while charging the battery[1] on the SR so I can go out and buy me some dinner and then it will be an early night so I can make the best of the good weather forcast for the next few days and have at it properly.

I have also got a minor issue with the turn signals intermittently not working so taking it apart is something I should really be doing and the sooner it is done the sooner I can get back to enjoying my rides.

[1] Note to self: Now might be a good time to finish building that solar trickle charger I have been promising I will get round to for years.

Mine is a Red one.

Last edited by essexboi; 04-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Is it possible that this may not be a fuel problem on the front cyclinder but rather an ignition issue. Are both plugs black? Is the coil supplying high voltage and (I don't remember) is one coil per cylinder? I don't think the bike has 4 coils but I do remember that there are 2. It's real easy to check the high voltage, just pull the wire off the plug and hold it close to ground (frame or plug) and hit the starter to see if it sparks.

Good luck.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

A very good point. Because of the symptoms I am fairly confident it is carb related and so did not actually check both plugs but will do so first thing tomorrow, this may save me a carb strip. Thanks for reminding me.

Mine is a Red one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Life, as it sometimes does, intervened and it was not utill today that I was able to set to and start taking it all apart.

What muppet designed this thing? It is an absolute nightmare. Still it has made my mind up, there is no way I am going htrough all the messing about that will be involved putting it all back together again so it can stay in bits until until the parts arrive for me to do an Ear Shave.

Just as well I have a spare bike.

Mine is a Red one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement