02 Vulcan 750 has intermittent "chug" problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Question 02 Vulcan 750 has intermittent "chug" problem

I just bought my first motorcycle - an 02 Vulcan - and I love it. The ride is great, and I have tried to be on it as much as possible.

It has started to give me some trouble. Being a new rider, I need some ideas on where to start.

The bike starts and idles fine. On a couple of rides, the bike did what I call a chug - it bucked, the tachometer jumped wildly, and lost power, but didn't stall. I was able to ride through it, and the bike performed fine after. More recently, I was not so lucky. Once the chug started, I had to hobble home at 30 MPH in 5th gear at 2000 RPM's. Any attempt to perform other than a very very gradual accelleration caused the bike to chug. Going above 2000 RPM's caused the bike to chug. Very frustrating.

I have added some carb cleaner to the gas and have run through about 1/2 a tank of gas but no improvement. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If the tach jumped around, it may be a wiring issue. Tach is fed from the front coil so it may be a loose connection. Could also be your ignition needing cleaning. Was the bike parked outside a lot?

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM

So you couldn't downshift? Doing 30 mph in 5th gear sounds like you were lugging the engine.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

FERGY - The bike was never parked outside until I bought it. For the past three weeks, it has been stored in a carport with a cover. It was very well kept and garage-parked prior to my purchasing the bike.

Last edited by kwbales; 04-05-2010 at 10:23 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

FLITECONTROL - I could downshift. What I was trying to say (and likely not doing too good a job) was that the best I could do was keep it under 2000 RPM's. In fifth gear, 2000 RPM's is about 30 mph. Basically, as long as I seriously babied it, it wouldn't buck and I made it home ok, albeit very slowly!

Last edited by kwbales; 04-05-2010 at 10:23 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Havin some fun.........

Have you checked that the vacuum hoses are connected to the carbs properly? could be a fuel problem, if not electrical. Try running it on reserve.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

STRANGE PAUL - Thanks for replying. I will check vacuum lines - what would running it on reserve do? I'm not questioning you, just trying to understand since I'm new at this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Havin some fun.........

Running on reserve can give the carbs fuel without the vacuum for a short while and certainly can refuel your carbs if there's a vacuum problem, it's abit like having a prime switch. I can't honestly say that it will work with every bike, but I noticed that it can often make things like balancing your carbs etc work as well without having to break into the lines with a t peice. it just sounds like fuel starvation, as at low revs your bike is running off the pilot jets and when you open it up the main jets kick in, I had a simlar problem with a z1000 and that was down to the person before me putting on fuel filters that were just too small to let enough fuel through at high revs, damn thing would get to about 75 then just die if pushed harder. Have you gor fuel filters cause make sure they are clean, as this could also be a cause of your problem.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 PM

Strange Paul is referring to filters installed in the fuel lines between the petcock and carbs. They aren't stock ewuipment, but some folks (myself included) install them to ensure no bits of rust or other material get to the carbs. If the filter screen on the petcock disentegrates, crud can easily get to the carbs.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Check the right side spark plug cap. Make sure that it is not shorting out to the throtle cables. Best way to check this , is by starting the bike in the dark and look for jumping sparks.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement