Trying seafoam for the first time - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Trying seafoam for the first time

Sorry to say not on the bike,yet. BTW I don't know if it's regional but seafoam was on sale for 6 something a can at advanced auto today in binghamton ny.

My gas mileage on my truck has decreased between 4-5 mpg and that's a lot for a 454!! (It's a pickup and I am a conservative driver so it's not my foot) I added two cans to a full tank, would anyone have added more? It's got a 32g tank, instructions say "treats 8 - 25g" so I am within that range. I have already got a bit of extra smoke at the tail pipe and I can smell it.

I will follow up with improvements or lack there of, but I hope it helps.

The bike is a hole different story... That has been sitting for upwards of year with stale gas in it, it's at 13,xxx miles so I want to get the spline lube done as well before venturing out. It starts PO started it and I could not help starting at least once to show my family. But it takes a bit of cranking to get it going with full choke, and it takes a couple of minutes to get the choke all the way off without it stalling out. I am going to change the stale gas and do the seafoam thing. But is there something else I will need to do to clear this up? I could just start doing this and that but all you guys are great and I love this site. Besides I remember someone saying "try not to just lurk around" in the newbies forum a couple of times.

Not to mention I still need to get my license and have never been on a bike.
Well except a yamaha yz250 that threw my arse on the ground with the flick of my wrist. That was the first time on a dirt bike and I touched the power band. The bike did a wheelie and I ended up with a bruised tail bone. I kept stalling it so I was giving it a little more but went too far... live and learn

K&N filters
MF-AGM Battery
93' VN750 / 13,600mi
Vestal, New York
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Your Vulcan probably won't pull a wheelie on you, but it definitely has the power to get away from you real quick! Recommend you take the MSF basic rider's course. You'll get more useful information and learn potentially life saving techniques you'll use for the rest of your riding.

Try soaking the carbs in Sea Foam and adding it to the first few tanks of gas if you get it running. Otherwise, you may be looking at a carb cleaning. When you drain the old gas, look inside the tank to see if there is rust.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 04-02-2010 at 09:23 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Your Vulcan probably won't pull a wheelie on you, but it definitely has the power to get away from you real quick! Recommend you take the MSF basic rider's course. You'll get more useful information and learn potentially life saving techniques you'll use for the rest of your riding.
The plan is to take a course as soon as I can, the weather is getting nice.

K&N filters
MF-AGM Battery
93' VN750 / 13,600mi
Vestal, New York

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Good plan.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Even though it's kind of a PITA on the Vulcan, I recommend you go ahead and remove, disassemble, and clean the carbs to begin with. They are probably filthy inside. That should be a one time thing, use of Seafoam in the future should keep them clean. Sounds like your Vulcan my need quite a bit of maintenance. Definitely do the spline lube before riding it, and hopefully it is not already too late.

A drop in gas mileage of 4-5 mpg on a 454 means serious trouble. It's either leaking somewhere, or running really rich. I have a Ford pickup with a 390 four barrel, and it averages around 10 mpg in town, but I am NOT a conservative driver, my main hobby besides motorcycles is drag racing. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Even though it's kind of a PITA on the Vulcan, I recommend you go ahead and remove, disassemble, and clean the carbs to begin with. They are probably filthy inside. That should be a one time thing, use of Seafoam in the future should keep them clean. Sounds like your Vulcan my need quite a bit of maintenance. Definitely do the spline lube before riding it, and hopefully it is not already too late.

A drop in gas mileage of 4-5 mpg on a 454 means serious trouble. It's either leaking somewhere, or running really rich. I have a Ford pickup with a 390 four barrel, and it averages around 10 mpg in town, but I am NOT a conservative driver, my main hobby besides motorcycles is drag racing. Jerry.
No leaks for sure, last summer/fall I was getting almost 12mpg sometimes but usually 10 -11mpg. worst is been about 7.5 but this includes warm up still cold here sometimes. But I finally got the winter weight out of it 2wd about 400 - 500 lbs I also don't need to warm it up every day now. I thought I would see a little improvement with the last tank of gas, but didn't.

So anyway I will see if it improves...

BTW PO usually rode 2up... I don't know that changes abuse factor at all, riding less aggressively?
I guess I will find out when I get to it. Buying a house so my finances have been tied up and I have a lot of stuff to move so it is on the back burner. I will have a garage soon so at least I will have the bike, it's in my parents garage so it's not easy to get to and no room to work anyway.

K&N filters
MF-AGM Battery
93' VN750 / 13,600mi
Vestal, New York
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

not to worry. we are all here to help! now or later! we will get you up and running!
also be very carefull on the vn750 it has a lot of power! a lot of people say that it's a good starter bike, I think not, but to each there own. just take is slow and get you self into the MSC!

also Seafoam kicks ass!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
[Not to mention I still need to get my license and have never been on a bike.
Well except a yamaha yz250 that threw my arse on the ground with the flick of my wrist. That was the first time on a dirt bike and I touched the power band. The bike did a wheelie and I ended up with a bruised tail bone. I kept stalling it so I was giving it a little more but went too far... live and learn[/QUOTE]

I was there man. I had ridden a ktm500 once for 15min in someones backyard..that thing had freaking power! That was my only mc experience prior to the MSF course...i finished 2nd in my class with people who had been riding for years! I am not saying its easy..i am saying that with the right attitude and mindset(being part of this forum) you can do great things in your skill set. You must have "No Mind" my son.
Also, I bruised my tailbone trying to impress some girls while I was drunk riding an electric bull once...I told the cowboy with the controls to "Take it off the girl setting" and he let me have it with the bull.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:17 PM

I have a '79 YZ250 that I bought new in '79. I used to race MX back then, and got hurt several times. I finally had to give it up, or loose my job. The bike has been sitting for several years, I seized up the top end on it, and never got around to fixing it. It made a lousy trail bike anyway. I replaced it with an '02 XR400. I've been thinking about looking for parts to fix it, and maybe get into vintage MX (where nobody rides hard or fast enough to get hurt), but for now it is just sitting there. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

No leaks for sure, last summer/fall I was getting almost 12mpg sometimes but usually 10 -11mpg. worst is been about 7.5 but this includes warm up still cold here sometimes. But I finally got the winter weight out of it 2wd about 400 - 500 lbs I also don't need to warm it up every day now. I thought I would see a little improvement with the last tank of gas, but didn't.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the truck old enough to have a carb, not fuel injection? My cousin bought a 1973 GMC pick-up with a 454 ci engine and a turbo 400, 3 speed automatic tranny, brand new way back when, and was getting about 8-10 mpg with the stock Quadrajet carb on it. He changed it out for a Carter 625cfm carb, and his fuel economy increased to about 16 mpg.

He tried the same carb on his `65 Chevy Impala with a 327 ci engine and 2 speed Hydromatic tranny, and it cut the fuel economy in half, from about 16 down to 8 or 9 mpg. Just over carbureated the 327 I guess.

He still uses it for a field truck now and drove an early `90`s GMC with a stock fuel injected 350 for many years, averaging 19- 21 mpg. depending on weather and how hard he pushed it. Then from one tank to the next it dropped about 4-5 mpg, the same as yours. It took a while to figure out why, but I believe it eventually turned out to be a faulty O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe.

Maybe something mentioned here will help you identify why the crappy fuel economy on the truck. BTW I am using Imperial gallons, which are 1.2 US gallons, so multiply my mpg estimates by 5/6 to get it right for US gallons.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement