Why'd you buy her? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Ba dum dum, ching...

Why'd you buy her?

So I've been here a while and have seen quite a few really fine craftspeople and mechanics tuning, fixing, and customizing their bikes. I've also come to understand that our little babys have a few quirks inherent in their design that can be troublesome. And I've seen that a number of you can and do own more than one bike. So this question is for those of you like Lance, Cindy and others that could switch but have chosen not to. Why the 750? Why did you buy it in the first place? Why do you keep it? What is it about her that engenders such loyality?

Don't get me wrong. I love my bike, but in truth until 2 years ago i hadn't been on one in 35 years. So I don't have a lot experience. But I see loyality to this bike that I've seen in few others. And I'm just curious.

Thanks,
R

Yes, it's my mid-life crisis.

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:17 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_G View Post
So I've been here a while and have seen quite a few really fine craftspeople and mechanics tuning, fixing, and customizing their bikes. I've also come to understand that our little babys have a few quirks inherent in their design that can be troublesome. And I've seen that a number of you can and do own more than one bike. So this question is for those of you like Lance, Cindy and others that could switch but have chosen not to. Why the 750? Why did you buy it in the first place? Why do you keep it? What is it about her that engenders such loyality?

Don't get me wrong. I love my bike, but in truth until 2 years ago i hadn't been on one in 35 years. So I don't have a lot experience. But I see loyality to this bike that I've seen in few others. And I'm just curious.

Thanks,
R
To put it as simple as possible, it's a kick ass bike. Yes!! It does have some flaws but so do other bikes. With some modifications and alterations it can be a dependable performance cruiser.

Case in point: VN750_Dawgs fan "Jason" just left here after doing a rejet, ear shave and pick-up coil modification and he now has an ear to ear grin that is non removeable!!! I must add he was one of them that said he would never do an earshave!!! But I baited him and let him take Vulcan89's bike for it's first test ride, his attitude changed very fast!!

He already added, MF AGM Battery, New wires and Caps, Iridium plugs, Vance & Hines exhaust, voltmeter, DE-Creamed fuel tank, in-line fuel filters, Plexistar 2 windshield, MY custom Lowers, My old Custom seat, and TOC replcement ACCT springs. He still needs to get TOC MCCT's, Pro-Tac backrest, Highway pegs and floorboards.

His bike had been doing O.K. for the past year, but with the mods I just did he has now seen the light!!! His reply after a test run was what I had expected. This is a quote!!! OH my God!!! Oh my frikin God!!! When you add 25-30% of off the line and top end performance there is nothing else to say.

I am sure he will chime in tomorrow.

A buddy of mine has a 1550cc Screamin Eagle Road King and with the mods I have done I keep up with him with no problem.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 03-20-2010 at 11:56 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
For me I had been looking for a Japanese cruiser for right around a grand... I wanted something that was unique, had good lines, and most importantly ran. I was looking at the Honda 750 Shadow, and some older Yamaha cruisers when the VN kinda fell into my lap. When I paid for the bike, I knew it wasn't going to stay stock. My plan has always been to by a cheap cruiser and build it into a wild custom... After buying the VN I was kind of shocked at the lack of accessories, but the more I thought (and think) about things I want, the more I am glad there isn't much of an aftermarket fallowing... It makes my creative side really shine.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:33 AM

I have a 29" inseam.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I hadn't had a bike in over 20 years so I wasn't sure I would stay with it. I was also looking for a project, so, I found my 93' locally that needed work. Paid $ 1200 for it with 19K miles on it. Since I bought it I have replaced, polished, or painted about everything on the bike. I also bought my Meanstreak about 2 years after the vn750 as I was sure I was going to keep riding.

The 750 was perfect as I got my "bike legs" back on what I think is a perfect first owner or someone going back to riding after some time off. I knew if I stayed into riding that this bike would ultimately be to small for me. I do a lot of highway commuting on my bike and the 750 revs to high for me at 75 - 85 mph. That's where the Meanstreak excels.

I am in the final stages of putting the 750 back together after replacing all the gaskets and seals in the motor that time took it's toll on. Painting fenders, tank and side covers, and the frame.

Someone will get a really nice 750 when I seel her in a month or so.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I got my 06 simply because I liked the lines of the bike. The tank tilt appeals to me, plus it didn't cost me an arm and a leg off the showroom floor. It has the basic instruments that too many other bikes fail to include. It'll go a lot faster than I'll ever let it and it's great for the in-town riding that is mostly what I do. But it also can sit on 5K RPMs on the freeway and stay there all day long without a complaint. If there is any shortcoming that detracts from the normal excellence, I'd have to say it's the short range. While I like the tilt to the tank, I wish it had another gallon in it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Seems like there already was a thread about "why you picked the Vulcan"...

But I'm to lazy today to find it to see what I said then...........so I'll just say at the time, May of 2002, it looked like the right bike at the time.

I bought it new from a dealer, and had already looked at the gamit of new bikes on the market.

Oddly the choice got narrowed down to two bikes...The Vulcan 750 and the Yamaha R6. obviously a difference in styles.

I basicly ended up picking the Vulcan cause it looked more comfortable for picking up chicks.

The R6 had a tiny pad for the passenger to sit on and even smaller oddly positioned footpegs. My hopes of scoring a second date might well depend on how a woman liked riding on the bike...so , even though many do find the passenger area cramped on the bike, it was pretty much my sole reason for picking it.

It had of course made it to the final two because of things like shaft drive, duel disc brakes, full instrumentation and alloy wheels...but it was chosen in the end simply for female comfort over the faster and nimbler Yamaha.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
When I got mine the price was right I liked the looks and it fit me great.
The previous owner need the money and I had cash so the deal was done.
I rode the bike for 3 years and just found a Nomad, same thing owner needed the cash, so I jumped on it.
Having 2 biked is not for me so I did get rid og the 750, I do miss the bike and wish my Nomad had the features but I do like the way the Nomad handles better for me.
I do wish I had a Tack, Temp gauge, hazards, but I do like my hard bags and the bigger bike with FI.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM

I like everyone else on here just liked the looks of the bike....I purchased it in May 2008 with 13k miles on it ...I hadn't been on a bike in 20+ years so I wanted to feel comfortable..Don't get me wrong it took me 3 times to pass the state dmv skills test on it but it was done ...as of this past weekend it has 19863 miles .....I am looking for something with a little more leg room and more comfort for long rides...I am 5'9" with a 34" inseam yea I am cramped....My hubby has an 07HD Electra Glide and I have no problem racing him off the lites my 750 will keep up far faster than I care to go at times...

2000 vn750 purchased in May 2008 13658 miles on her
degoated Cobra pipes added
metzler 880 on the rear in May 2009
Street Shield EX...(no more bugs)

NEEDED MODS
relocate rear turn signals
wanting to add a highway bar

But hey shes all mine and I love riding every chance I get!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 PM

The VN750 takes me quickly and comfortably where I want to go and I can put both feet down when I get there.

Mine is a Red one.
Colour matched Bungee straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement