Drilling the end baffles? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Drilling the end baffles?

I noticed the question was asked a few weeks back and noone responded so I thought I'd ask again, has anyone drilled a few holes in the stock mufflers to get a bit more sound? I took one off to see if there were any screens that could be removed and no such luck. I ran it w/o the muffler and it wasn't that loud either, but I didn't rev it much. I saw Bevis drilled out his and I think he put a cross-pipe in but I'm not looking for that much sound.

Thanks for any response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

I had thought of drilling out the internal plate (disk with small holes in it) that is prior to the muffler but once that has been modified you can't go back. If the exterior was drilled you could always weld it shut.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:46 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I drilled out the screen and drilled holes in the end of the mufler, Hav a frend who owns a Harley ask how I got it to sound so good. Made me smile, no to loud just nice. I only put 3 holes in the rear of the mufler but the screen and degote relly brought it to life.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Hello VN750Rider,
I drilled out the screen style baffles in my mufflers several years ago. I used a drill and methodically drilled around the edge until it was completely open. Then I filed it to smooth it out. It is very thick and not as easy to drill and file as I expected. It does sound better (I think). Not too loud but better than it sounded before. I also richened the idle mixture which I believe cut down on the deacceleration popping that seems to be inherent in the V-Twin design of the Vulcan and the lean mixture.
Good Luck,
Sam612
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:56 AM

03 750 Vulcan exhaust

I have Jadine exhaust system and rejet cab. on my 03 750 Vulcan. the sound really good I like it, but my nighboor not happy with it when i drive home at night. I want to put stock exhaust back to the bike and drilling some small hole. Can I do that? please give me an idea about this
Thanks,
Brian
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner
I drilled out the screen and drilled holes in the end of the mufler, Hav a frend who owns a Harley ask how I got it to sound so good. Made me smile, no to loud just nice. I only put 3 holes in the rear of the mufler but the screen and degote relly brought it to life.
Hi Ccspinner,
Those are good looking saddlebags on that VN750. They look like they are the throwover kind and not permanent, true? Can you tell me the size of them, where you got them, are they quick removal types with snaps or something like that, etc. (you know, all the details so that I can get a set like them). What I like about them is the seem to fit well plus you did not have to modify the turn signals. Did you have to add any brackets?
Thanks,
Sam
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:09 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Which set of bags are you looking at, I have had 3 sets on, tho ones I have right now are Willie & MAx large slants. You have to move the turnsignals for them. If you are looking at the set where they are not moved those are a old set I found. No name and no quick removal, Ithe Willie & max are zip on and off. The hard bags were a trial and not going to happen.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement