What's the malfunction? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
What's the malfunction?

Hello again!

Been loving the weather here lately- I've spent more time on the bike than anywhere else which is good until you ask my wife, my kids, or my clients

However, I've encountered an issue. I'd dismissed it lately thinking it was the "phantom out of gas" syndrome these things seem to suffer from. As I'm cruising along, the engine will sputter like she's thirsty (until today this only happened 95 miles into a tank of gas but today it happened at 65), then she pots along and it almost sounds like the rear cylinder stops altogether... but a little rev of the engine and given a few seconds (15-30) she cleans her act up and we go on down the road like nothing ever happened!

Anyone have any insight as to what this might be? I've bought some Sea Foam to add to the next tank in hopes that helps, but any other input will be appreciated as always!

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Calif Rider

Take a look at your fuel lines from the petcock. Looking at your petcock if the right fuel line goes up an over to the front carb and the left one goes to the rear one try changing this. I did and have not had a out fuel problem since. Route the right one to the rear carb and the left to the front carb. Route them so they do not go over the heads and down, you will be able to make both shorter and with less arching to get to the carbs. I think the original way, the fuel is trying to go up hill to much, it is only gravity feed. With less of an arch the fuel can flow easier to the carbs. The carbs just litterally run dry.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Maybe it is the time of year, because the same thing just happened to me on Sunday, and I've seen other "phantom out of gas" threads recently. In my case I was out for a long ride after installing iridium plugs and K&N air filters. Ran great! Lots of power! Then, half a mile from home, the engine just stopped, like it was out of gas. Opened the fuel cap, sat for a while. Nothing, engine just would not start. Sat some more and then, it started like nothing happened. Ran great the rest of the way home.

Spring fever maybe?

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Love My Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
Maybe it is the time of year, because the same thing just happened to me on Sunday, and I've seen other "phantom out of gas" threads recently. In my case I was out for a long ride after installing iridium plugs and K&N air filters. Ran great! Lots of power! Then, half a mile from home, the engine just stopped, like it was out of gas. Opened the fuel cap, sat for a while. Nothing, engine just would not start. Sat some more and then, it started like nothing happened. Ran great the rest of the way home.

Spring fever maybe?
That's EXACTLY what happened to me on the way to work last week. It was a cold day in Ft. Lauderdale! Could the cold temp bring on the POOGS?

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 AM

Possibly carb icing. This needs cold air and high humidity and pre 2k Quackers are particlularly prone to it. If it is still happening after temperatures get into the high 30's it is something else.

Mine is a Red one.
Colour matched Bungee straps
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 AM

I have experienced this problem and found that over time moisture collects into water in the tank. When I get down to the point I have to turn on the reserve is when it is the most pronounced. Run as much of the fuel out of the tank as possible without stranding yourself on an empty tank. Then when you fill up put in the Seafoam. The Seafoam will help remove any left over moisture.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post

Spring fever maybe?
Happened to me again, twice, during a group ride. Standard 'phantom out of gas'; power loss and stall at 1/2 tank of gas, open gas cap, wait, restart. So, today I took apart the gas cap to check the vent. The gas cap vent hole was plugged with a fine black soot and I could see soot in the vent line. I cleaned the gas cap vent, flushed the vent line and don't think I'll have any more issues.

It doesn't take long to check/clean the gas cap vent, so I am going to make it a regular maintenance event. Beats the embarrassment of holding up a group ride or stalling on the highway.

This issue seems common to the VN750, based on the number of threads. How about adding a 'Phantom Out of Gas Syndrome' Solutions article to the Vulcan Verses?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

While switching the fuel lines is a good idea because the engine heat can cause vapor lock in the lines, it still seems like there is vent problem. As the gas is flowing out and the air is not venting in there will be a suction or vacuum created in the tank that will fight the gas from flowing out. As you stand there stranded for a minute air leaks back in and suddenly you have gas delivery again and it's like nothing happened.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
While switching the fuel lines is a good idea because the engine heat can cause vapor lock in the lines, it still seems like there is vent problem. ...
In my case there was no question, the vent was plugged. Mine is an '06 with only 9K miles on it and the vent line was full of soot. Not a lot of miles of time, in my opinion. I'll bet that flushing the vent line once a year would all but eliminate this issue.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM

I just wanted to suggest checking the vaccuum hose from the carb to the petcock. I'm convinced that if the hose is old it gets hard and doesn't make a leak-free connection even if it doesn't have cracks. After many tries, replacing the hose with a new one is the one thing that appears to have fixed my "phantom out-of-gas syndrome" problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement