Need info. ASAP - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Need info. ASAP

I'll try this again. I am looking at a 1996 vn750. Is this year as good as later ones? Any problems with this specific year? I have looked at vn750 for years and did not need one. Now I need a quality bike around 500 lbs. The 750 seems to be the only one on the market with hydro valve adjusters. Any thoughts would be appreciated especially since I need a bike asap. I mean NEED. Thanks, Al K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
First off, the valves are non adjustable. secondly all VN750's from 1986-2006 are pretty much the same... You need to check the charging system real well. read through the verses... every thing you need to know, or might want to know is listed there.
Thirdly, you say this is your second post... but your status shows that this is in fact your first post. And lastly, You can't go wrong with a VN750... there are way to many resources at your finger tips
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness Al K.

Check the link below for an idea of what several owner/riders of the vn750 consider important things to check and service first. Then go to the Vulcan verses.

This forum is like no other that I have found so far. The know how and willingness to help makes owning a vn750 worth twice as much.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great info. I posted on the Newbie but it never showed up, i.e. it was my first post. The info. about all vn750 being about the same was helpful. The 10 things ++ was interesting. For me, the Beginners Bikers Course is #1 (did 25 years ago), Gear #2, Throughly checked out bike before each ride and AFTER is #3, the links and directions, etc. were most thoughtful.
I am both a Jr. and a Senior. Does that make me a Jr.Senior or a Senior Junior. Since I am always learning about the equipment I ride I guess I will always be a junior. :-) YEA!!!
We are going bike buying tomorrow. The main problem with the VN750 is not it's problem but ours. Over the years we stretched the available seat area but the seats did not stretch.
Your are correct, the forum you all have is great. 30 years ago I belonged to one bike "group". It/they were helpful and thoughtful. They do not seem that way today and today their bikes just do not fit us any more. So thank you all again. Hopefully the 1996 750 will work for us. We'll just have to re-do the seat someway since diet has not worked.
Al K
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
there are several options for the seat, try to find a mustang, or corbin, if those can't be found, you can mod the stock seat, or mod another seat to fit the bike... or do like I did/am doing and build a seat... By making my custom seat it has pushed the rider back about 6" or so, dropped me about 5" closer to the ground, and for the passenger... well I don't have specifics yet, but I am thinking I pushed her back a good 8" and I hoped to drop her about an 1"... the drop might b more... I haven't had a chance to start adding foam to the rear pillion yet, so I am not 100% sure on the amount of drop I am getting.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I will be interested to see your new seat slim. If you are 5" closer to the ground, there must not be much padding for the rider. Moving back 6 " sounds interesting though.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Ah, more seat complaints. I just had to drop this one in. I have put 125,000+ miles on stock Vulcan 750 seats, and have absolutely no complaints. The bikes comfort, not only the seat, but the riding position, seat, bar, peg relationship is absolutely perfect for me. Despite my issues with it's mechanical complexity, comfort on loooong trips is one reason I am so attached to the Vulcan. I can understand some people not liking the stock seat, no seat fits everybody, but it seems almost everybody hates it. I never have figured out why. Out of 44 motorcycles (though only about 20 were cruisers), the Vulcan 750 is definitely the most comfortable of them all. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I will be interested to see your new seat slim. If you are 5" closer to the ground, there must not be much padding for the rider. Moving back 6 " sounds interesting though.
it is 2" thick, I used a higher (more firm) density foam than most, but since it is so firm, it gives a lot better support than the stock foam... Another thing that helped get the seat lower is that the seat pan hugs the frame a lot closer,

here is a pick of the solo seat pan with out padding:

and here is the seat with padding, before getting the final shape and covering on it

I don't have any updated pics yet... I have a roll of film that i need to drop off at Wal-Mart that shows the final solo seat, and some pics of the passenger pillion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement