Speedo Inaccuracy - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Expert Advice Giver

Speedo Inaccuracy

Its like stuffing a tube sock in your speedo. I rode today for the first time with my GPS attached. My speedo is off @ 5%, as previously reported here. While I thought I was going 50 mph (acccording to the speedo), I was only going 56 or 57. I ran 80 mph for 1 minute, and sure enough, the GPS said 76; at 90 the GPS registered 85. I used to be satisfied at running up to 100 every now and then; I guess I'll have to run up to 105 now. I guess the inaccuracy can be a function of the front tire size, but I only have time to ride, not worry about that crap.

Now I have to explain to the wife, the tube sock in the speedo reasoning.

1994 VN750
32K+
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Avon Venom Front & Rear Tire
Mustang Seat
Fire and Steel Luggage Rack
Fire and Steel Engine Guard
Fire and Steel Sissy Bar
KawaVulcan Saddlebags
eBay Genuine Imitation Chrome Mirrors
Kury Chrome Levers
Battery Tendered
Taillight LED'd
Splines Lubed
Wheelies Popped

2009 Triumph Rocket III
1974 Suzuki TS250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Don't understand the sock thing, but yes the Vulcan 750 is highly optimistic. I don't have an issue with it now that I know about it. The fact is, I have never seen ANY vehicle that didn't have an optimistic speedometer. I have had cars and trucks that I put oversized rear tires on (speedometer was driven off the transmission) which corrected the speedometer error. I just make it a point to ride 5 mph faster than the speed limit, or in some cases, on interstate highways, as much as 15 mph above the posted speed limit. That's what it takes to keep up with left lane traffic around here. I have had my Vulcan up to 110 mph by GPS, it won't seem to go any faster, though I've heard of people getting 120+ out of them. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 AM

I have had the same issue in the past. The matter partially corrected itself when I put new tires on the bike. Still didn't make the speedo dead-on-balls accurate, but it dropped the difference by several miles per hour. You wouldn't think that the tire wear alone could cause such a difference in the 'size' of the tire, but the new tires cut the difference by a bit more than half.

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips
Mutazu LN Hard bags with wired LED Brake Lights
Kawasaki Rear Luggage Rack
Memphis Shades 21' Gradient Black Windshield

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Love My Baby

After I installed Pirelli tires with the upsized 110 up front I noticed my RPMs went up when the speedo indicated 60 mph, meaning my speedo was probably indicating higher than actual speeds before the tire change, and was more accurate now. According to my knowledge of where my baby's RPMs are at particular speeds, the difference was just under 5 MPH. Don't have a GPS to verify, but I always pay close attention to my speed & RPMs, along with the general feel of the bike at all speeds, just to know if anything needs adjustment.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Don't understand the sock thing, but yes the Vulcan 750 is highly optimistic. I don't have an issue with it now that I know about it. The fact is, I have never seen ANY vehicle that didn't have an optimistic speedometer. I have had cars and trucks that I put oversized rear tires on (speedometer was driven off the transmission) which corrected the speedometer error. I just make it a point to ride 5 mph faster than the speed limit, or in some cases, on interstate highways, as much as 15 mph above the posted speed limit. That's what it takes to keep up with left lane traffic around here. I have had my Vulcan up to 110 mph by GPS, it won't seem to go any faster, though I've heard of people getting 120+ out of them. Jerry.

I am a big guy at ~#300 and have a full size windshield on my 750, and have had it up to 150 km/hr on the speedo, which I now know was probably more like 140km/hr, (87 mph). I had more throttle, but ran out of nerve.

I just did some calculations last week, which I posted on a thread here, which indicate that the gearing on the Canandian and American bikes will yield ~14.5 mph in 5th gear, per 1,000 rpm.

So at 7K rpm, your speed is ~101.5 mph.

7,600 rpm yields ~ 110 mph. I think speeds higher than this with a large windshield or a rider much bigger than a jockey, are not going to be easy to acheive. You are past the torque and horse power curve peaks, and that last 900 rpm is going to be hard won.

Our redline is 8,500 rpm, which would theoretically yield 123.25 mph.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement