Crash bar and shifter conflict - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Crash bar and shifter conflict

I purchased a crash bar and put it on my VN750 this winter. It was 55 deg. today so I took my first ride of the new year. When I did I found out that my shifter hit the crash bar and I could not shift into 2nd gear. I went back to my garage and pivoted the shifter the next notch on the splines on the shifter shaft. After I did this the clearance between the floor board and shifter barely allowed me to get my boot under the shifter. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
what crash bar are you using and what brand of floor boards are you running?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM

I have experienced this and with the factory crash bars. My fix was to take the shifter off and bend it out just enough to clear the crash bars. Careful not to over stress the shifter if you decide to do my fix. It can break.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

The crash bar was purchased on E-bay and was supposed to be genuine Kawasaki equipment. The floor boards were purchased by a guy named Chad who fabricates them and sells them via one of the Vulcan user sites. I believe it is a design that was developed by a guy who goes by Knifemaker who quit making them.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Hey there GYMPYRDR! Thanks for the suggestion. I considered this but I wasn't sure how much risk I was taking by bending the shifter.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Yes we all know of Chads Boards... they are a spin off of Knifemakers Boards. I have heard that other people have had the same problems as you are having, there are a few ways around this problem.. one is to make the crash bar mounting brackets adjustable by making the mounting holes on the top bracket larger. or mount the boards back about 1/4"-1/2" further back (not sure if this one is possible.)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Ba dum dum, ching...

I have the factory crash bar and have never had a problem.

R

Yes, it's my mid-life crisis.

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_G View Post
I have the factory crash bar and have never had a problem.

R
do you have custom boards?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Rick, I have the OEM bars and the original Knifemaker boards. The boards came with 2 mounting holes and I put them on as directed and never had that problem. When I first bought the bike it took me some getting used to fitting my boot between the brake pedal and the crash bar but the shifter was always ok. Is it possible that you can find a happy medium spot on the spline shaft that will allow you to work the shifter? Be very careful if you go the bending route as that bar can snap real easy. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1873.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2547  

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389

Last edited by Gemguy; 02-21-2010 at 11:51 AM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Gemguy - I have tried to find a medium spot on the splines and although they seem to be be fine splines (close together) I have to rotate the shifter further than you would think to get them to line up to get the shifter to go back on the shaft. I may buy a used shifter on E-bay and try bending it that way if it breaks I have my original as a backup. I have also thought of flatening the bottom of the crash bar in that area just a bit to give just a bit more room for the shifter to rise. It doesn't lack much in being able to shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement