I just can't win... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ravdaveed Send a message via Skype™ to ravdaveed
I just can't win...

So, I just can't seem to win... My bike is running great, the freshly cleaned carbs are doing great... But, I now have two new and annoying problems...

Now I have some sort of fuel leak coming from either my tank or my petcock, I haven't been able to figure out which though...

And I have some sort of coolant leak dripping down onto the left side pipe, which means when I start up the bike I have a good bit of smoke coming off that pipe because of the residue on the hot pipe...

I don't know what to do... tempted to just drop the stupid bike off at the Kawi mechanic and tell him to find and fix the problem, but that costs money... SO ANNOYED!!!! And my wife is about ready to force me to sell the bike and get something newer...

1990 VN750
Got it on 9/10/09
7683 original miles when I got it
7870 current (constantly adding more)
Mods already on bike:
Kuryakyn Iso Grips with throttle boss
Kuryakyn Iso pegs with heel rests
Windshield (not sure what brand or style, just look at my pic)
Leather Saddle bags
Leather t-bag
Mods since I got it:
Wet Battery
Many more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
The fuel leak is more than likely the petcock or the float gasket. as for the coolant leak... I have no clue... but it is probably something simple like some tubing going to the rear cylinder.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:43 PM
'85 Bobber

The tube going to the rear cylinder is an easy fix. Just unbolt, pull out, and replace o-ring. Mine had the same issue.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

First check to make sure your hose clamps to the water neck is tight then if that doesnt solve your coolant leak, replace the o-ring on the water neck that goes into the rear cylinder head. The bolt that holds it in is a pita to get to if you havent done an ear shave, 8mm open end will get you there.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
hose clamps to the water neck is tight
I was thinking this too untill i read further down where it said it is leaking on the left pipe... the left pipe leaves the engine at the rear cylinder, so I would have to agree with Droedo on this being the O-ring.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Hoser

And the o-ring is super easy to replace. The factory petcock on my bike sucks. It always weeps fuel somewhere and I rebuilt it with new parts twice. I may change it to a pingle with dual outlets if I can't solve it pretty soon. The Vulcan is one of my all-time favorites so for me the threshold for pain is very high.

1986 VN750A(2) 12224 miles.

Last edited by junkyardroad; 02-24-2010 at 10:38 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Keep the Bike ,get rid of the woman, the bike won't find something else to complain about,just saying.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM

The coolant leak is almost certainly where the metal coolant pipe goes into the head, and like has been said, is an easy fix. Just remove it and replace the o-ring. I put just a tiny bit of grease on the new o-ring to keep from tearing it when you slip the pipe back into place. This is a very common issue with the Vulcan 750. I have had mine leak just a tiny bit from bumping into it while working on the bike with the tank off, but it always stops. It's not the greatest connection in the world.

As for the fuel leak, it is not likely to be the fuel gauge sending unit. it has a pretty solid connection. If the gasket has deteriorated over the years, a new one will fix the problem permanently. I've also rebuilt my petcock a couple of times. It has two major problems. The vacuum diaghram, and the long o-ring type seal between it and the tank. That is not the best way to seal between the petcock and the tank. It either needs a much thicker gasket, like the fuel gauge sending unit, or a threaded connection. I would love to replace mine with something else, but am unaware of anything else that will fit the Vulcan tank. It would not need to have two fuel line connections, you could simply put a T in the fuel line to split it into two lines. In any case, a leaking petcock or a leak between the petcock and the tank is not a big deal. Certainly not big enough to warrant getting rid of the bike for.

If you feel your bike does have to many problems, and you like it, consider getting a newer Vulcan 750. There are several really nice late model Vulcan 750s on my local Craigslist for reasonable prices, and I would love to get one and keep it until mine wears out, but that will likely be several years, and the Vulcan 750 is, for some unknown reason, not a bike that stores well, even when properly prepped and stored indoors. Besides, by the time mine wears out, I may need something else. At the rate I am going, I figure it will last into my late 50s with minimal repairs.

As for your wife, I do understand that. My first wife, and the mother of my 2 grown daughters, simply was not a good match for me, and didn't like anything I did. We wound up divorced in less than 3 years. My current wife is far more understanding, she knew what she was getting into, and while she is not into riding, either on her own bike, or with me, she understands that it is something I am always going to do as long as I am physically able. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ravdaveed Send a message via Skype™ to ravdaveed
Decided to go ahead and drop the bike off at the Kawi dealership here and have them fix the problems for me... Dropped it off this morning, waiting to hear back from them, don't know if that will be today or tomorrow though. I ended up losing basically a whole tank of gas from this leak though... Joy, joy... and just as the gas price hiked... It's all good though, hopefully it will be all good when I get her back, if not... Well, don't know the misses would be to happy...

1990 VN750
Got it on 9/10/09
7683 original miles when I got it
7870 current (constantly adding more)
Mods already on bike:
Kuryakyn Iso Grips with throttle boss
Kuryakyn Iso pegs with heel rests
Windshield (not sure what brand or style, just look at my pic)
Leather Saddle bags
Leather t-bag
Mods since I got it:
Wet Battery
Many more to come...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 PM

Best of luck with the dealer, you will need it. I avoid dealers completely, other than to buy a new bike, and I've probably bought my last one of those. Next one will be used. Even if I weren't a mechanic, and were not able to work on my own bike, I would hunt down a decent independent shop. We have a couple here in my area with good reputations, and hundreds with bad reputations. ALL the dealers, of any brand, have bad reputations. Again, hope things work out for you. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement