Evap - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Evap

Fist let me say hi, just got me a vulcan 750 on the 14th. I am new to the scene but have been reading quite a bit about the bike. I have read I should first upgrade the battery which I am doing. I will be making a custom box for it but I am wondering what is the thing that is bolted to the front of the stock battery box ? If it is the evap, is it possible to remove it? Another thing are what are the two black electrical boxes on the stock battery box. One is on the back side facing the rear, the other is on the left side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Vintage bike addict

Front of the battery box should be a coil. Left side is the junction box. Rear if memory serves is the ignitor box. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Not looking at the bike now, but I believe you are right. The easiest way to tell if your bike has evap emissions crap on it (and most do, or did) is to look at the rear of the gas tank, right under the front of the seat. If it has 2 fittings on it with 2 hoses connected to it, it has the dreaded evap system. The main components of this system are attached to the frame right in front of the swingarm. If you remove the right sidecover, you can see them clearly. It is nothing but trouble, and needs to go. Remove everything, there is a hole in the airbox that needs to be plugged. One of the 2 fittings on the gas tank needs to be plugged, they other one needs a long hose on it that will go down somewhere underneath the bike, and is vented to the atmosphere. I can't remember right now which is which, but can check when I get home. This system serves no purpose, other than making your bike hard to start and run poorly if you should fill the tank all the way full.

I also recommend removing the complete air injection system, it causes the exhaust to run hot, and backfiring on deceleration. Removing it requires several things to be plugged. I'm sure there are instructions for doing this somewhere on here.

Aside from causing ridability issues, both these systems really clutter the bike up, and make it much more difficult to work on. Plus it looks so much better without them. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok I am going to need pics of these things to make sure I am pulling the right things off. I removed the evap on my car but I bet it looks different. How do you block these lines off? Does the gas tank need to be removed to remove the evap or can it all be done with the seat off?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
get the manual from HERE be warned it is a huge file.

The electrical box on the back side of the battery box is the Reserve Lighting Unit, the electrical box on the left side of the battery box is the Junction Box, and the electrical box on the right side of the battery box is the igniter box. All of them are needed unless you plan to hack the wiring harness and make your own...

as for the evap stuff, search Coastering and Marbeling and ear shave. it will give you lots of information on how to get rid of the evap crap. If you are trying to pull all the evap stuff off, your best bet is Coastering it... there are a set of coasters on eBay right now, and Lance also sells a set for a decent price.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan Madness. What year is your Vulcan? I am curious why you are building a custom battery box? Old one rusted out or acid corrosion? One guy here built a box for a bigger battery out of a sheet of stainless steel. There are pictures somewhere.

If you have been lurking about, you have probably already seen the link below. Good luck with the conversions and mods you are making. Enjoy the cruise.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Well I thought that with getting a sealed battery, that it was bigger then the stock battery which means it will not fit in the stock holder.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2043 View Post
Well I thought that with getting a sealed battery, that it was bigger then the stock battery which means it will not fit in the stock holder.
Nope, same size. Just be sure the + and - posts are on the correct sides so the cables reach.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

This shows other wise???

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/9135871...92054/name/n_a

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Is this the yussa battery everyone recommends?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...yword=14AHL-BS

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement