How fast am I going? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

How fast am I going?

Just got a 2002 VN and I love it.
The PO was not a very good wrench and broke the speedo drive!! Anybody got one??
Can somebody tell me how fast in top gear is 3500 rpm. (in MPH)
How bout 4000? (in MPH)
Until I find a speedo drive and cable this would help me a lot.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Now what

I can't remember off hand and it'll be a while before I can take the bike out again (dang rain). But anyone who can help will need to know if you have the stock 100 size tire or the 110 size tire on the front.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

With the 110 tire on, my bike is doing 57 mph at 4,000 rpm. If no one else responds, I'll report speed at 3,500 rpm later.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Ba dum dum, ching...

Flight is right. At 3,500 I'm doing about the same (55). But a cable ain't that expensive ($13.79 at Babbits online). Better 13 bucks for a cable than 35 for a speeding ticket.

R

Yes, it's my mid-life crisis.

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I can't remember off hand and it'll be a while before I can take the bike out again (dang rain). But anyone who can help will need to know if you have the stock 100 size tire or the 110 size tire on the front.
That has got to be the funniest thing I have read today. The size of your front tire has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you are going at a given RPM. Shame on you...

I believe at 3500 rpm you are going just under 40mph, and at 4000 rpms you are around 50...but it has been too long for me to remember exactly....and I never looked at my speed that much anyway.

Yes...the front tire size can effect the reading on the speedometer...but you have to remember that the speedometer was off and not accurate, and the OP wants to know what actual speed he is going...NOT what his speedometer would read if it were workiing. LOL

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
That has got to be the funniest thing I have read today. The size of your front tire has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you are going at a given RPM. Shame on you...

I believe at 3500 rpm you are going just under 40mph, and at 4000 rpms you are around 50...but it has been too long for me to remember exactly....and I never looked at my speed that much anyway.

Yes...the front tire size can effect the reading on the speedometer...but you have to remember that the speedometer was off and not accurate, and the OP wants to know what actual speed he is going...NOT what his speedometer would read if it were workiing. LOL

KM
Oops, I wrote before I had my caffeine jolt-I meant to say we need to know what color his bike is. Silly me.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Hey knife, I am thinking that he was thinking of the rear tire and how the larger tire DOES effect the RPM's of the bike. Shrugs

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
Hey knife, I am thinking that he was thinking of the rear tire and how the larger tire DOES effect the RPM's of the bike.
Well he did say "100 size tire or the 110 size tire on the front"... and admited to the brain freeze due to lack of morning coffee...and effect I had already vanquished with 1-1/2 cups.

But yes, a different size rear would effect speed/rpm , but not by alot from what I have read here of owner with larger rears...(tires that is)

I had thought we had a "speed to RPM" chart in the Verses, but it must have been a different forum I was thinking of because I could not find one.

It is possible , if you know the size of the tires circumfrence and the various gear ratios to compute the given speed for a particular rpm. I did it once for my race bike, but for the vulcan you would need to not only know the gear ratios in the transmission, but the gear ratios of the shaft drive.. at the bevel gear , the spline and the final drive....

I have not had enough coffee to attempt that bit of math.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
When my speedo cable was broke... i just went with the flow of traffic... That way if i was speeding, so was every one else, If I was going too slow...so was every one else... as I was driving through town in 25 and 30 MPH zones, I noted the RPMs and gear i was running in while fallowing someone, and then did the same thing for 45 MPH, 55 MPH, and 75 MPH (75 freeway in Texas)... that way when there was no traffic to fallow, I would be close...

As for a speedo gear and cable, I posted a link to one on eBay... very cheap...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

When i lived in the PI (centuries ago) there weren't many roads you could do 4k in high gear. most would have been riding in 3/4th gear and downshifting to pass. Roads must have improved immensly since the 70's but then again most of my time was in the provinces rather than the major cities.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards