Problems with long term storage - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Problems with long term storage

My '02 Vulcan 750 currently has over 44,000 miles on it, and it obviously won't last forever. Due to the economy, there have been quite a few late model low mileage Vulcan 750s turn up on Craigslist at pretty reasonable prices. I am considering buying one, and just storing it until my current one wears out, or has a catastrophic engine failure, like a broken cam chain. I am concerned what several years of storage would do to the engine. It would be stored in a weatherproof shed. I know about the balancer damper thing, and obviously it would need a new battery and tires. Is it feasible to store a bike long term? I don't know whether I would just switch my accessories over to it and start riding it at some point, or just use it as a parts bike, including the engine. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Jerry Jerry Jerry... you know just as well as the rest of us that the VN750 is not a bike that can be stored for long periods of time... Take my VN750 for example... I parked it for a little under 18 months... I am having to go through everything just to make it run again... Rebuilt the cabs, breaks, replaced the battery, now I am going through the engine replacing all the Gaskets and seals that started to leak during my absence. when I parked my bike it was in perfect running order...I just had an issue with the ignition switch (the internals were worn and loose)... Since I knew it was going to be stored for a long period of time, I changed the oil, drained the Tank and ran Seafoam through the system, and then refilled the tank putting the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer in it. I did every thing that the verses suggested plus some, and I am still having troubles bring her out of retirement. (I also anticipated this so I am not to concerned.) But the amount of storage you are talking about is INSANE. I would recommend fixing the bike when the time comes for major repairs... by a second bike for a parts bike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Problem is, by the time it needs major repairs, there won't be any decent parts bikes left. Certain things obviously won't survive long term storage, like the battery, but It would be stored completely out of the sun, rain, dust, etc. I would completely drain the carbs, remove the gas tank and pour a quart of oil in it, and shake it around real good to coat the entire inside, probably fill the crankcase all the way full of oil, right up to the top, pull the plugs and fill the cylinders full of oil, soak all the plastic and rubber parts in Son of a Gun (my favorite protectant), and all the metal parts in WD40. I am confident all the external parts would survive, and the carbs could even be removed and stored in a box in the house. The final drive should be ok, there might be some deterioration in the front brake master cylinder and caliper seals, but those are cheap parts. The fork seals should also be ok, especially if you filled the forks all the way full. Again, the main concern would be internal engine parts. The only external seals I know of on the engine are the shift shaft and the output shaft on the front bevel gear case. Anyway, just thinking. I see all those really nice VN750s out there, and know they won't be there when I want one. Most of them will be worn out or trashed. And even if parts are still available, I don't consider it to be economically feasible to rebuild a worn out engine with all new oem Kawasaki parts. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I did all that you plan on doing... still, I think you would better serve your time getting a good parts bike... the VN750 will last a long long time as long as you ride it... it doesn't handle sitting very well. And if a parts bike is not an option for you... i would suggest you go look for a Honda Shadow... less maintenance, still being made, very reliable, and parts can be had a lot easier. ohh wait...its too new and has too much electronic "Crap" (to use your term)... but hey its either that or you need to get an old school HD and just forget about riding and spend more time wrenching
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Love My Baby

Why not consider getting a great deal on a low mileage 750 and instead of just storing it, ride it a few miles each month to keep it going. Or split the riding between it and your current 750 so that both of them last twice as long. When I bought my baby I decided I would use it to suppliment my Toyota Tacoma. Whenever the weather is nice, and I don't need to haul anything, and I'm by myself, I take my Vulcan. Keeps the mileage on my truck down a bit, keeps my Vulcan lasting longer, and my overall costs are down because of it.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack