Poll: engine pull - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

View Poll Results: Haver you ever completely removed the engine from your bike?
Yup, I pulled it 17 68.00%
Lordy no, perish the thought! 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Poll: engine pull

As I begin the adventure of removing the engine from my poor afflicted Pegleg, I'm wondering how many here have ever completely removed the engine from their bike..

Edit : yeah, I know I made a typo in the poll question...

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
2003 VN750 "Prozac" (now hers)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

So, why is a raven like a writing desk?

Last edited by Rook; 02-08-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Giggity!

Garage
With the proper tools & even a friends help, it's really not too bad. Just take your time & don't loose any parts along the way. 8)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Never done it... but I am not scared to give it a try when the time comes

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM

I'm in the middle of my second pull right now. (The first was on another vn750).

For the backyard mechanic, I found an easy way to pull the engine by myself. If you carefully measure your engine-to-ground distance with the bike on the center stand, you can use a cinderblock and some shims to come up with a match that's *just* a hair higher than where it's sitting. If you jack up the front with a scissor jack applied to the front of the engine, you can slide the block under the engine. Let the bike back down on the block, then when you remove all the bits and the subframe you can use the front wheel to kind of gently lever the bike backwards and away from the engine. It's more like pulling the bike off the engine than the engine off the bike. I also removed the rear wheel/final drive so I could pull the drive shaft of the engine down into the swingarm. Makes the frame that much lighter as far as moving the frame off the engine.

Since I'm doing this without another pair of hands, it's a useful technique. Putting the engine back in is easy if you use the scissor jack to "tilt" the engine up and down slightly. Then you just slide the mount bolts in, lift it up a bit, and kick the block/shims out from under the engine.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Good description skalding. They say that necessity is the mother of invention. Your method seems to prove it.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

X2. I just copied your post to my collection of tidbits on the Vulcan. Probably gonna get into the project bike when it warms up.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did an earshave awhile ago, so I don't have to fiddle with the airbox. I'm not sure if this will work with a standard setup bike or not.

The main difficulty in "wiggling" the bike frame backwards off and over the engine is the shifter shaft (bottom left) and the two lowest rear engine mounts. I had plenty of room but had to inch and turn the handlebars, inch and turn the handlebars. The top part of the engine wasn't an issue at all.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM

I have never pulled a Vulcan 750 engine, but I have pulled the engines out of many other bikes that were a lot harder. I have looked the Vulcan over very carefully, and as long as you take your time, disconnect everything and get it out of the way, it should be a piece of cake. I would completely remove the carb to airbox ducts, and tie the airbox up out of the way, so it doesn't try to fall down on the engine while you are trying to remove it. There are a lot of things that you don't absolutely have to remove to get the engine out, but I would remove them anyway, put them in plastic bags, and label them with a felt pen. I am very methodical about the way I do things when I'm working on my own stuff. What makes it so easy to actually get the engine out is the removable right frame section. Once you have everything out or the way, I would use a hydraulic floor jack on wheels, with a piece of wood between the bottom of the engine and the jack to support the engine, and slowly move it around and wiggle it out of the frame. At that point, because the engine is so heavy, I would attach it to my hydraulic engine crane with large nylon straps to lift it, and then roll it around where you wanted it. This would be a great way to get it up on a workbench. If you just want to move it over into a corner, you could use a well padded appliance dolly to move it with, just make sure there is no metal to metal contact.

One more thing, that probably applies only to me. While I had the engine out, I would take the opportunity to give both the bike and the engine a really good cleaning. The Vulcan 750 is a difficult bike to clean, because it is so densely packed together, and because of all the hard to get to nooks and crannies. With the engine out, you could get to places you can't get to with the engine in. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 02-08-2010 at 06:54 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Pulling the motor completely out of the frame is not something I would look forward to doing and I likely would try to find an alternative to avoid it, but if it was the only viable solution to me , I'd be happy about it but feel qualified to tackle the job.

I think if the motor needed to be completely re-built, I would just try to obtain another one, so would have no problems swapping motors.

But then again, if the engine seized up on me I might be tempted to make sure the insurance is paid up and just dump the bike in the quarry....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
As I begin the adventure of removing the engine from my poor afflicted Pegleg, I'm wondering how many here have ever completely removed the engine from their bike..

Edit : yeah, I know I made a typo in the poll question...
I answered yes but just not on this bike ,having always been on the not so rich side of things ,my labor was always free saved more mone for better parts and more of them and working on my bikes and vehicles lead to me getting into heavy equipment mechanic professionally and then went to work at a fork truck and Bobcat dealership for several years and got a lot of valuable factory training , in various fields, hydraulics,various fuel delivery systems, engines,so I would not hesitate to pull a vn engine.kinda od for a guy who went to an industrial electricity class in trade school,anything for a living,I guess.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement