First Ride! First Problems! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

First Ride! First Problems!

After about three hours of waiting, I was finally able to take my test(s) for my license. (They did surprise me with a "you hafta take two tests - the Class M and the Class C," those bastids...) I passed!

So today I polish my "new" 1986 VN750 and worked up my nerve to take that first ride. The only other bike I had ridden was a Suzuki 250, at the motorcycle safety class, and the jump to 7-fricken-50 was intimidating. But I got my nerve, decided on a place to practice, and split.

Yowser! It felt great! I was cruisin' like Steve McQueen until I reached my practice area. I was working on a tight manuever, when it died. I think I flooded it, because it wouldn't start up again. I had my M.O.M., with me, and read the bit about the flooding. But I killed the battery trying to get it to start. Then it only went "click." Then I read the bit about overheating the starter.

Anyway, thanks to a friendly Metro Patroller who was taking a break near the area, he told me I could push the bike and start in gear to get it cooking again. (I knew that...) After watching me chug along unsuccessfully, trying to get that bike to speed, he helped me push start it. The engine caught and I was good to go, with a new buddy to boot.

I cruised around a bit, trying to get the battery charged. But it wasn't enough. I choked at a light -- a block from my apartment, no less -- and couldn't get it to start again. This time, it wouldn't even click. I found a side-street to push start it up again and made it home both happy that I made it home and disappointed that I may not get to ride tomorrow.

I'm off to get a battery tender. It supposedly a new battery, less than a month old. Hopefully a good charge'll get her going.

But is it possible I fried something else?

Oddboggle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Make sure it is a maintenance free battery. Another possibility (hopefully not) is something is wrong with the charging system.

I would do a quick check of the charging system with a multi meter. Hook it up to the bike (carefull not to short the battery), start the bike, and slowly rev it up to 5000 rmp and watch the voltage. If it doesn't go over 12.5 volts there is something wrong with the charging system.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

It was the battery.
I charged it overnight, and the next day it worked just fine.

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll learn a lot here.

Oddboggle

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 PM

Oddboggle,
I had the same problem with my 04. It would start fine when cold, but when I would stop for gas after riding a while, it didn't want to start. The battery would run down trying to start it. Took the forum advice and bought a Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS battery. It has not failed to start yet. I starts almost instantly. Seems like the other battery was not turning the motor near as fast as the new Yuasa one.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:47 AM
750fatboy

Send a message via Yahoo to falteas
same here with my '97. but i think mine is a fuel issue, takes awhile to fill the carbs. not sure, but the meter reads go over the 12.5...
as for the test/ i had to pass the written test from dmv, then goto the safty class, when i passed the safty class i just went down to the dmv and got my licsens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement