I'm too tall for the bike - any ideas? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

I'm too tall for the bike - any ideas?

OK so I'm not a giant by any means, but at 6'1" I feel a bit balled up and find myself wishing I fit my '99 a bit better. I wish I were either back a bit further on the seat of my legs streched a bit more to reach the pegs...

Any ideas? You guys are amazing with the stuff you recommend. Any other "Lanky" folks found a solution?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanian View Post
OK so I'm not a giant by any means, but at 6'1" I feel a bit balled up and find myself wishing I fit my '99 a bit better. I wish I were either back a bit further on the seat of my legs streched a bit more to reach the pegs...

Any ideas? You guys are amazing with the stuff you recommend. Any other "Lanky" folks found a solution?

Thanks!
I am 6ft and i feel slightly balled up but the one thing that annoys me is that the clutch pedal seems too high and i have to lift my left knee to shift reliably. I think i can adjust the clutch pedal though...I am having a custom seat made with new memory foam and gel inserts....vulcan emblem tooled and sharkskin all around. I anticipate it being slightly higher due to the better material and more comfortable as well. I will post pics when its done...will be several weeks.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jebusbud
a few companies make forward controls, if you are willing to pay the price (over $700 for the jardine set) or if you have any fab skills, you can make your own pretty easy. I am
5'11 and have just gotten used to the bike, shaved my seat, slammed the bike, and am currently working on a bobber build with it. this bike has really grown on me and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Mods so far:
6" wide flat fender
Hardtail struts
Side mount license plate w/ Model A Ford tail light
KZ650 Headlight
Sprung solo seat
Relocated speedo
Relocated electronics
T/S removed
Tach removed
Dash removed
Suicide shift
Jardine exhaust
Relocated highbeam and oil indicators
Relocated ignition, horn, and highbeam switches

Coming Soon:
Chain sissybar
Chain shifter

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I built a custom seat... look at my sig pic... now that it is covered looks a lot better... it dropped me a lot closer to the ground, but pushed me back about 3 inches... then I also am making a set of Forward Controls that will stretch my feet about 3 inches further... I will be post a full build process b4 the end of Feb...

side note on my custom seat... It doesn't have the weird looking passenger pillion and sissy bar any more... I have since gone to a Kawasaki Fire and Steel Extended Backrest, Pulled off the padding, and am now in the process of of making a passenger pillion and Drivers Backrest... waiting on my second coat of glass to dry as wee speak... alsohere is a thread on my Solo Seat build.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 AM
The Professor

There were several folks here that were gung ho on making about five sets of Jardine "look a like" forward controls. They were persuaded to do this by another member that has since moved on, they bought a set of Jardines and threw in several hundred more each to make copies. As far as I know several months and several hundred dollars each later no one has the forward controls.

Buy the "Original Jardine forward controls" and you will be one happy camper.

$616.25 may seem expensive, but how much is your comfort worth? It's "PRICELESS"

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...m_content=4284

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM

I'm 6'2" and I have the Jardine Forward controls that I was lucky to get off of e-bay for $300.00 about five years ago. They do add comfort but many of us wish they just weren't up so high. I also bought a Saddleman seat that I had an upholsterer shave down and back that you could do with the stock seat as well, and finally you might want to try some higher bars, I have 16 inch apes but if you go 12" you will feel the difference. A cheaper solution would be to add some highway pegs.........
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM

The guy who had my project bike was 6' 3". He put higway pegs on the engine guard and rolled the stock bars forward.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM

What you'd spend on forward controls combined with how much you could get for your '99, you could most likely get a bigger more comfortable bike with small and few monthly payments...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 AM

If you don't have a lot of cash, consider a seat mod.

1) the foot controls are pretty much fixed unless you go with the Jardines.
2) you can rotate the handlebars some forward/back, but the more you move them the more the height will change as well. You can also (if this is a problem) replace the bars relatively cheaply (<$50 for 3/4 inch aftermarket bars on Ebay.
3) given these two factors, the easiest thing to do may be to move where your sitbones hit the bike. If you move that point backward and upward, you should be more comfortable. You could try moving the seat to get your legs comfortable first, then rotate/replace your handlebars to make your back straight and arms relaxed.

There are a lot of custom seat threads. But in a nutshell, you can always remove your seat cover, buy $20 of marine vinyl, repad the seat accordingly (I got some old couch cushions at a thrift store for the foam), and staple the vinyl in place as a new, buttonless cover. While your at it you can widen the back seat pad an inch or two to be more comfortable for a passenger. As an aside, with just the widening of the seat for her, my GF and I are now very comfortable two up, but she and I combined don't weigh more than 260.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMMERLING View Post
I am 6ft and i feel slightly balled up but the one thing that annoys me is that the clutch pedal seems too high and i have to lift my left knee to shift reliably. I think i can adjust the clutch pedal though...I am having a custom seat made with new memory foam and gel inserts....vulcan emblem tooled and sharkskin all around. I anticipate it being slightly higher due to the better material and more comfortable as well. I will post pics when its done...will be several weeks.
Do you have a picture of the clutch pedal???

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement