thinking of getting a vn750, few questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

thinking of getting a vn750, few questions

There is a 89 750 for sale by me. i have not looked at the bike yet but have a few questions for you guys. im not new to motorcycles. have had 3 harleys and a dozen dirtbikes. Still have 1 harley and a dirt bike but looking for a fun weekened cruiser. I was told in a email this bike needs a ignition module switch. Is this a big deal? Also how would this bike be for 2 up riding? Im 5'11 190 and the wife is maybe 120. He wants $1200 for this bike? sound fair? I might try to get him down to 1k. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Not sure what an "ignition module switch". There is an ignition switch, where the key goes, and there is an igniter module. The igniter is super expensive, I believe around $400. Not sure on the ignition switch. Does the bike currently run? I personally would not buy a bike, other than for parts, at a very low price, that did not run, because you never know what might be wrong with it. You could spend a lot of money replacing parts, only to find it has other serious problems.

The Vulcan 750 is a great solo bike, but is not so good for 2 up riding. The rear part of the seat is narrow and uncomfortable, though I love the riders section of the seat. I think it has the most comfortable seat of any motorcycle I've ever owned. Another problem with 2 up riding is the rear suspension is pretty mushy, even when the preload is turned all the way up. It makes for a comfortable ride for a single rider, but bottoms out easily with a passenger.

Look in the Vulcan Verses for all the known issues with this bike. It is for the most part very reliable, but has a few fairly serious issues. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum.

I'm 6', 180lbs and the wife is around 130. We find two up riding to be pretty uncomfortable for anything over ten minutes. Many other forum members report problems in riding two up on extended rides.

You can usually find quite a few used parts for these bikes on ebay. Quite often, when the ignition switch develops problems, it is corrosion related. May just need a good cleaning. If you can agree on a price, try shooting some WD-40 in the switch and working the key back and forth several times.

This bike has a lot more get up and go than just about any cruiser you are apt to find. It's a real kick in the pants, fairly light, and fun to ride.

I got my '89 (see signature below) for $1,000. Looked like it had just come off the showroom floor. Not sure what the book value was. This was shortly after the PO had the dealer do $1,300 of work on it and it developed a throttle issue. He'd just got fed up with the bike. Turned out the throttle cables weren't properly adjusted. Does the bike have any add ons? If it has the extended backrest, luggage rack, etc., and not too many miles, I would think the price would be ball park.

Good luck.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys. The bike has 18k miles. Im going to call the guy later to get more info on it. Overall it looks pretty clean in the pictures.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness rynb15. I agree with Jerry for the most part, but find the seat not all it could be. I can ride for 30-40 minutes then need to get off and walk off the numb bum for a few minutes. I`m thinking about getting something like a Butt Buffer or Airhawk pad for this season to ease the "monkey butt".

I`m about your height but packing an extra #100 around my middle. I was comfortable enough carrying my grandkids 2 up, as the biggest one was 10 years old and under #100 the last time I rode. I think you and your wife can get a pretty good idea if the bike seat is big/long enough for the two of you by sitting on it, even if you can`t take it for a test ride. If she doesn`t push you ahead on the seat when riding, it might be OK for short and mid length weekend rides, with frequent breaks. If you feel at all cramped while just sitting on it, I would look for a bike with a longer frame and seat.

Here is a link to the Vulcan Verses table of contents. https://www.vn750.com/forum/verses.php

You will find some useful reading there to guide you if you go to look at the bike you found.

Just out of curiosity, is your Harley a full dress "Geezer Glide", and you just want a lighter bike for day trips?

You may find a few things in the link below in my sig too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Adventuregeek

I'm 6.0" 195 pounds, my wife is 5'3" 130 pounds. We're pretty comfortable 2-up on the Vulcan, but she's Asian and has a relatively small backside. She rides her own Ninja mostly, so we don't do loooong trips 2-up.

She's also the perfect backrest, but I have to make sure I don't throttle up too fast and leave her. The Vulcan will really jump if you goose it. It's a beast.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Coastered, R&R relocation, MCCT's, Koso mirrors, Memphis Shades windshield, Mutazu GA hard bags, big monkey in the saddle. ATGATT: Olympia AST hi-viz jacket, Recon 2 (convertible) pants
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys, olhoss my harley is a 1974 ironhead hardtail. So this would be my touring bike I talked to the guy tonight and he told me its the ignition switch. He said it will sometimes start if you wiggle the key around, and he talked to a guy at a local shop and it can be fixed for $40. Also claims the bike is really clean and runs great. Im going to go check it out maybe tomorrow or sunday.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynb15 View Post
thanks for the replies guys, olhoss my harley is a 1974 ironhead hardtail. So this would be my touring bike I talked to the guy tonight and he told me its the ignition switch. He said it will sometimes start if you wiggle the key around, and he talked to a guy at a local shop and it can be fixed for $40. Also claims the bike is really clean and runs great. Im going to go check it out maybe tomorrow or sunday.
You can take it apart and clean the contacts and be as good as new, you will be surprised with how much power it has. You can keep up with a 1450 EVO.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

thanks, just by searching this board it looks like its a common problem. Is there a way to bypass the switch altogether? I had a softail once that the switch broke and i just had a toggle switch under the tank.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynb15 View Post
thanks, just by searching this board it looks like its a common problem. Is there a way to bypass the switch altogether? I had a softail once that the switch broke and i just had a toggle switch under the tank.
I`m sure there is a way to bypass the ignition switch, but it isn`t all that difficult to remove and repair it. There are a couple of good threads and some good pics in the gallery of the contacts and what to do.

Here is a link to the gallery and pics of ignition switch #`s 1 thru 4. https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=505

This is on the bottom of the "key pin lock assembly". I think our search goddess Diana posted a link with directions for removing and reinstalling it, but I can`t find it right now.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement