Freeways drive me crazy, how about you? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Straight roads are evil

Freeways drive me crazy, how about you?

Something about freeways gets me crazy. Twisty roads? I'll ride them all day, hundreds of miles of twisty bliss. 30 minutes on the freeway? AARGH!

Today's ride had about 100 total freeway miles connecting 150 miles of incredible twistiness. There was one section, 55 miles long, flat straight and fast. At the end I wanted to scream in annoyance and frustration. But then I was on the good roads again, so everything was OK.

Does anyone here like straight roads? They drive me crazy.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQPlayer View Post
Something about freeways gets me crazy. Twisty roads? I'll ride them all day, hundreds of miles of twisty bliss. 30 minutes on the freeway? AARGH!

Today's ride had about 100 total freeway miles connecting 150 miles of incredible twistiness. There was one section, 55 miles long, flat straight and fast. At the end I wanted to scream in annoyance and frustration. But then I was on the good roads again, so everything was OK.

i do everything in my power to avoid roads that stay interstate but unfortunatly they are the fasted way between 2to points without turning or seeing a damn thing ...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I ride my motorcycle as a hobby, fun and enjoyment, weekends and free time during the week (when available). It is not my commuter or main vehicle. So, my opinion will be vastly different from a hard core rider/commuter.

Anyway, I also dislike the Interstates or major highways, mostly because of the boredom they create while riding on a motorcycle. What's the point of riding if you have to focus on the taillights in front of you? I will use Interstates/Highways to get out of town quickly or back home fast (cause I'm tired). Otherwise, I ride to be engaged and connected with the experience of riding; SLRP, throttle control, counter steer, scenery, etc. That means secondary roads here in Oregon/Washington and there are lots of great ones to ride.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Freeways dont bother me, I ride them everyday to and from work. Gets me to where I need to go, faster. Then again the wife is the only one with a cage so being my bikes are my only source of transpo I'll take the faster way.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Columbus, Ohio

I prefer the twisties, of course, but I use the interstate to commute. I often take the back roads to get home, though.
But when it is dark, it is super-slab all the way. Twisties scare the hell out of me in the dark, with lane drifters, deer crossing, unlit curves in the road. It's not fun when it's scarey.
My vulcan is my first cruiser...my other two bikes were standards, where the posture is a lot like a sport bike. They were quite a bit more responsive so I rode them differently.
Cruisers gotta cruise. Mostly.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I read on someone`s sig line on some mc forum, "The only thing straight roads are good for is to get you to the next turn." Sounds like it could be your motto too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Straight roads are why they invvented headphones and MP3 players.

If I have alot of miles to eat up...straight roads/interstates rock cause I can go fast and soak up miles quickly.

But they are usually pretty boring, so having some tunes to groove on helps a whole freaking lot.

A passenger with an intercom so you can talk works well too....(my wife made me write that)

I like twistys as much as the next guy...but nothing gets you there faster than a nice open straight road where you can push the speed limit and not spend 8 hours being "on" concentrating on lean angles, braking, and such.

Just remember any time riding is always better than driving, no matter what the road does.

KM

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

I ride for pleasure and like the blacktoped backroads and stay away from the interstates as much as I can... I remember working and caging on some long interstate rides I would get off a spell and ride other roads to break the bore out...lol...
I find I also like to move too good on intestate roads, donated to the state of Alabama last fall about $175, hope they appreciated it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Ron

I don't know, I used to commute from LAX to Pasadena during morning rush hour 5 days a week. White lining it in all that trafic will definitley get the blood pumping.
Ron
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I also ride 99% for recreation. I like both twisties and interstate highways, for different reasons. Twisty roads take a lot more effort, but are very fun and entertaining. One of the reasons I love the Vulcan 750 is it is a comfortable cruiser type bike that handles curvy roads really good.

But, I also like long straight stretches of interstate highway, where you can just kick back, relax, and cruise. This is especially true if it is a highway you are not familiar with. I have ridden over a thousand miles at a time on interstate highways many times, and have ridden cross country many times, over several days, and, a few times, over a couple of weeks. I love the "Easy Rider" style of riding, going to new places and seeing new things. What many riders call "touring". Most of my 400,000 plus miles have been on interstate highways. This is also something the Vulcan 750 does very well.

A Ninja would be better for the twisties, and a Goldwing would be better for long cross country trips, but the Vulcan 750 is more than acceptable at either. Jerry

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement