Better quality turn signal housings? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Better quality turn signal housings?

The "chrome" stock turn signal housings look pretty bad on my '04. Are any higher quality aftermarket ones available? I'm going for the stock look, not interested in shaving them or going with some fancy looking ones.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
go to your nearest MC accessory dealer and take a look on their shelves to find something that would work... some slight mods might be needed...My front turnsignal housings came from an old Yamaha or Suzuki... not sure witch...wish I knew cause i want new ones.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
go to your nearest MC accessory dealer and take a look on their shelves to find something that would work... some slight mods might be needed...My front turnsignal housings came from an old Yamaha or Suzuki... not sure witch...wish I knew cause i want new ones.
Post some close-up pics of the lights slim. Someone here is bound to know what they came from.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The stock turn signal housing/lenses are usually about the best quality available, just like stock mirrors. I'm surprised that you have problems with the turn signal housings on your '04, the ones on my '02 are in new condition. Be careful about replacing turn signals with some that are not DOT legal. I ran into that situation with my Rebel 250, which I am slowly customizing (that's what I bought it for). I absolutely hated the look of the stock turn signals, though they were still in new condition. They were way to big for the bike, and definitely not the look I was after. I was going to replace them with some of those tiny little one, very close together, like a lot of sportbike riders do, but they are not DOT legal, and probably not very safe, if cagers don't see the stock ones, they sure wouldn't see those little tiny ones. The other thing is, my state doesn't require turn signals at all, but if you have them, they must work, and be legal. So, theoretically, I could get a ticket for not giving a signal, if my signals were not legal. With the Rebel, so far, I have just gone without signals, and use arm signals, which actually seem to get more attention from cagers than the lights. But I'm keeping the stock signals on my Vulcan.

I have been riding around on my '94 Yamaha XT225 dual sport without turn signals for years with no issues. But I don't recommend arm signals to new or inexperienced riders. Keep both hands on the bars. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

The lenses themselves look great, but the "chrome" has little small pits on the surface. Wonder if the humidity down here has caused that...

My dad has a Rebel too. Those turn signals sure are big for that small bike!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
The stock turn signal housing/lenses are usually about the best quality available, just like stock mirrors..

The problem usualy found with the stock signals is that the rubber stalks start to droop and in some cases rot away. You can not buy replacement rubber for them far as I know, so most folks replace them with units from other bikes or ones that are in better shape off Ebay.

If you chrome is pitting is is likely caused by not paying attention to your chrome by keeping it clean and giving it a coat of wax periodicaly.

If the bike was dropped and the housing is scratched, it will rust even faster.

And yes, if you live in a very humid enviroment you need to polish and wax your chrome more often.

And not to disagree with Jerry here, but the chroming on many stock parts is not as good as some custom pieces...but is fine as long as you take care to maintain them. Many parts are chromed aluminum, which can still pit...just as chromed plastic can, as it has a layer of copper underneath....which oxidizes easier than steel.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 PM

The chrome on the Vulcan turn signals is plastic. Mine still look like new, because the bike is always kept inside when not being ridden. The black plastic part will dry out and turn kind of a whitish color if the bike is exposed to the elements to much, but a spritz of Armor All or Son of a Gun will usually bring them back. When washing and detailing mine, I usually spray a little Son of a Gun on a soft toothbrush, shake off the excess, and apply it to parts like that, brings the black back, and gets down into the grooves. The lenses can also be cleaned with a soft toothbrush. I don't even have any build up around the molded in letters and numbers on mine. The main problem with bikes around here are bugs. One long ride, and you can barely see the bike for the bugs. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Don't know if you get as much salt spray down there as they do farther up the coast. When I lived in Cocoa Beach, keeping the windows on the ocean side of the house clean was a never ending job. Could be that's whats eating your chrome.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Na I live about 15 miles from the ocean and the bike has only been near it about a dozen times in the past 5 years. Its probably just due to my lack of proper maintenance on the plastic chrome - I've never waxed them, just got them all shiny them with some chrome cleaner I have. Interestingly enough, the metal parts with real chrome are in much better shape than the plastic parts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 05:46 AM

Does your chrome cleaner say it's safe for plastic? Some are slightly abrasive and shouldn't be used on chrome. I just wash mine, but in the future will wax too.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement