Hayabusa vs. VN750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Straight roads are evil

Hayabusa vs. VN750

A friend is on vacation, so I'm storing his Hayabusa until he gets back.

Which is which? One of these bikes is designed for maximum performance on ultratwisty roads. The other one is a sportsbike.

I've ridden it a little, not too much. The two bikes are universes apart, about the only thing they have in common is two wheels and a motor.

The Vulcan, as we all know, is comfortable for all-day rides, especially with an aftermarket seat. The Hayabusa is cramped, although not as bad as a CBR. The biggest difference, from the little saddle time I've had, is the absolute requirement of throttle control.

Imagine: You are riding along, 70 on the freeway. You twist the throttle to max for two seconds. The bike is now going 75-80 mph. On the Busa, that same two-second twist would have you well over 100. The entire feel is different. On residential streets, it feels like riding a caged beast; the bike is under control, but given the chance will attack without mercy. The feeling of raw power, untapped, waiting, is always there.

Did a test. 10 mph, second gear, full throttle. 5 seconds later, the Vulcan was doing 50. The Busa did not make the five seconds; had to chop the throttle at 90. The Vulcan comfortably cruises at 75-80 all day long. The Busa doesn't wake up until 100. My Vulcan's top speed, 104. People have gotten Busas to 180+ on racetracks.

But enough about speed. Of course the Busa is faster, it's a street legal race bike. The Vulcan is a cruiser (debatable). What's it like to ride? What's the feeling?

Cons: Can't see much out of the mirrors, arms block the view. Uncomfortable position. Weight on arms becomes fatiguing after a while. Poor throttle control gets very dangerous very quickly. Dropping it = big $$$ to fix the fairings. Insurance rates are very high. Theft magnet.

Pros: Always have power. Designed for maximum performance, so it'll lean even further than the Vulcan (which, for a cruiser model, can lean pretty far). It's a beautiful bike.

All told, they really aren't directly comparable. Each has a different purpose. Within their range, each is the best. Got enough money? Buy both!

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!

Last edited by EQPlayer; 12-27-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Yes, kinda like comparing a Lambroghini to a old VW bug.

Not sure what the point of the thread was, but thanks anyway...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I don't consider the VN750 an old VW bug, but I don't have anything against old VW bugs either. I have owned 3, and used to race one, back in the early 90s. Properly built, they are a lot faster than you would probably think.

I have never ridden a Hayabusa, but I have ridden other large displacement sportbikes, most recently a ZX11. The ergonomics (comfort) on both these bikes is better than most pure supersport bikes, like an R1, or a CBR600RR, but they are plenty fast. They are at their best out on the open road, where the wind will take some of the weight off your arms. To me, they are miserable in town, the handling is very twitchy at low speed, half your weight is on your arms, you have to bend your neck up as far as it will go to see where you are going, and your legs are bent as far as they will go, making it difficult to put your feet on the pegs and back on the ground again over and over, which is required in stop and go traffic. Add to that constant shifting, clutching, braking, and use of the throttle, and you feel like you are doing pushups, while on a cruiser, you can kick back and relax.

Sportbikes are fun, in their element, on a long curvy mountain road, but having owned a few, they make terrible everyday transportation. Even sportbike fanatics admit that, and just live with it. I'm too old to live with it anymore. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yes, kinda like comparing a Lambroghini to a old VW bug. Not sure what the point of the thread was, but thanks anyway...
KM
Me too, but still thought it was a good read and picture...
BTW-Sport bikes not being my cup of tea, that new Kaw. (XR-14???) is supposed to be as fast or maybe faster than the Hayabusa, isn't it...??? My 1st and last VW bug, a new 61 @ $1,595 + a radio...lol...
Have a good one, and Happy New Year...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 AM

I think you mean the ZX14. Yeah, it's fast, about the same as the 'Busa, could go either way from what I understand. The real shame is they used it as the basis for the new Concours, and it is much more sportbike like than the old one. I've never ridden either one, but most people don't compare the new one favorably to the old one. Looks like the only decent touring bike Kawasaki has left is the Vulcan Voyager 1700, basically a Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic clone. Jerry.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
that busa is a sweet bike... i love the comparison cause i two have compared the old vulcan to a big crotchrocket...

i just wanted to add that even in the extreme position in the rocket carring your weight in the shoulders will always be a killer in the back and nervouse system ... throw a pillow on the tank and just lay there... then gently grab the throttle... its another world when relaxed in a highspeed tunnle... after many thousands of miles in a tucked position... one can find peace till they attempt to get gas or stand up ...

now with that said i will live to see another day if i just stay on my cruiser...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Many years ago, I took a trip from Phoenix to San Francisco and back on a Yamaha YZF1000. Haven't been the same since. I think it caused permanent damage. That was by far the worst trip I've ever been on. Crotch rockets are only good for 100 miles or less, on the right roads. In a sense, they are like dirt bikes. If you don't live near the right roads, it's better to haul them there, ride them, then haul them back. They are not practical transportation or touring bikes. Cruisers are good at both. Jerry.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Regardless....50,000+ miles of California riding on a VN750 still rocks....keep up the good times and ride reports/pix, EQ....!...

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Not sure what the point of the thread was, but thanks anyway...
....still scratching my head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement