Cranker tank speaker bag - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Cranker tank speaker bag

Just a quick question for anyone's opinion. For the holidays I received a pretty cool gift. A tank bag speaker system for my bike ( one 3" speaker). It's sold by Kuryakyn on there website. Not bad sound at all. I go on several long rides each season and since I would be uncomfortable using earphones (not to metion they are illeagal in PA) for my MP3 player I think this would be an awsome way to listen to some tunes. The system comes with a unit that has a power cord to attach to the battery just like a trickle charger for power. It also runs on 4 AA batteries. The power unit made by "Sportech" reads: DC Input 12V, Battery Input AA1.5V X 4, OutputPower 2 X 15W, Fuse 5A. My question is this... Is this unit safe to hook up to my battery without putting to much of a drain on the battery while riding or, should I just use the AA battery power option? I don't want to end up on the side of the road with a dead battery. Since I am somewhat illiterate in this area, any help would be appreciated. I know our electrical systems are quite sensitive and I don't want to overload. If anyone has this or something like it, or if you just want to throw in your two cents, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Love My Baby

The unit uses a small 5A fuse, so I really doubt it's going to cause a significant drain on your electrical system. But I wouldn't have it powered directly off the battery or else it might be drawing power even when not in use with the bike off and the key out. (Unless there's a quick connect/disconnect in-line with the unit - like the trickle charger you mentioned. Then you could just disconnect when not in use and connect the unit only when you want to use it).

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

The unit DOES have a quick connect/disconnect like a trickle charger. If I went that route I would disconnect when not in use. I just wasn't sure about WHILE I was riding.

Jay

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I don't see any issues with hooking it up to the bikes battery, but there are safety issues with listening to anything like that while riding. I have never listened to music while riding, the ride is enjoyment enough, moreso without music. But that aside, I seriously doubt you would be able to hear such a small speaker at speed, wearing a full face helmet. Actually it would probably be even worse without the full face helmet, due to wind noise.

I rode a Goldwing once (a '93 1500) with a built in factory stereo and speakers, and all you could hear above 35 mph or so was just noise. And the Goldwing has a very effective fairing/windshield, and the speakers were mounted in the fairing facing the rider.

Kinda makes me wonder about all those guys riding Harley dressers with factory stereo systems, and open pipes. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 AM

I have been wondering about speakers on my bike...but have avoided it because of the noise factor. have to give a report as to how well you can hear it...or if there is anybody else who can fill us in on how well speakers work at speed....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 AM

Same as Jerry, my dads '01 GW has a 6 disc CD changer and 18 preset AM/FM and a CB. I havent drove it on the high way but I'v been on the back, and at 70 + mph the music is more of a noise. It rocks in town but thats all its good for. Full face helmet used.

As far as the tankbag speaker on our bike, definatly give it a shot. I'd like to hear the report on it too.

The battery hook up should work fine as explaind by Rubyrick, that is how I ran a GPS off my battery for 2 1/2 years with no problems.

I know you said it was illegal and I dont think its a good idea myself but my brother rides his croch rocket with ear buds. Of cours that works very well but its a personal choice.

CLARK47

2005 VN750
1,200 MILES WHEN NEW TO ME
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
bluetooth headset comes to mind... and they are 50 states legal..
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
I rode a Goldwing once (a '93 1500) with a built in factory stereo and speakers, and all you could hear above 35 mph or so was just noise. And the Goldwing has a very effective fairing/windshield, and the speakers were mounted in the fairing facing the rider.

Kinda makes me wonder about all those guys riding Harley dressers with factory stereo systems, and open pipes. Jerry.
I ride a Yamaha Venture and listen to the ipod at all speeds. I can cruise at 80 and hear it just fine.

In fact, most passengers think I have speakers in the helmet as the speakers are directed at you front and rear. Believe me, they work well.

I suspect a single speaker on the tank would also work well. No different than driving a car and listening to music....unless you count the real long shots and if it gets to that point....why take the risk of riding?

Not trying to be rude...just my observations.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I ride using noise cancelling earphones that plug into my GPS, which has an
MP3 player and satalite radio. I have no problems being able to listen to music and ride the bike, but can understand that there are those that might be distracted by this.

I think this is a safer way to go than exterior speakers..unless your bike has a fairly silent bubble behind a large windscreen/fairing.

Helmet speakers only add to the noise you encounter on a bike, but I do know of many that use them along with earplugs.

If your bike is quiet at speed do to a large windscreen, you can hear exterior speakers...but the sound quality will not be as good as well made in ear speakers.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I like to use helmet speakers with a mp3 player. no real problem with not being able to hear the tunes. have tried earphones (which are also illegal in Ohio) and didn't like it as much. one reason being that it is illegal, the other, it was a bit distracting and couldn't hear anything but the tunes.

Last edited by ruger; 12-26-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement