The Vulcan 900 classic vs Vulcan 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

The Vulcan 900 classic vs Vulcan 750

Does any one have experience with the 900 Classic?
I love my 750 but was looking at the 900 and wondered if it would really represent a step up. I ride primarily on back country roads where the 750 shines, but highway riding for any length of time has left me wanting a slightly bigger, heavier bike. Hate to admit it, but I have also considered the Yamaha 950 or the Harley (heaven forbid) Dyna Low rider or super glide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Old Truck Junkie

The dyna low ride is a really nice looking bike. A co-worker has one.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
The dyna low ride is a really nice looking bike. A co-worker has one.
Yes it is, but I saw one on CL after I wrecked my vn750 (Clyde) at a real bargain... I drove 90 mi. to look at it and as soon as I sat on it I got off and came home... It was really a sharp bike only 6K on the odometer, and well worth the money, but everything felt like someone else's not me... The owner tried to get me to ride it but I didn't even want to ride it, felt that bad to me...
However if you are a big road long Dist. rider and a bigger bike person it might suit you to a tee...Which probably the 900 Kaw. would also...
I did go with a 1200 Sportster against everyones advice and am happy, but thats just how and where I ride...
BTW-I still miss my vn750 (Clyde)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

900 Classic

Thanks for responding. Still looking for people who have known the wonders of our 750 Vulcan and can give a candid opinion of other bikes that are just a little bit bigger.
Metric or Harley....
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:11 PM

I dated a girl in the Air Force for about a year who had the 900. I let her ride the 750 and she let me ride the 900. She wouldn't get on the meanie, she said it was too heavy.

Alas, here's my review:

Looks
The 750 is dated. It looks like it came out in '86 cause it did. The colors are dated as well. The 900 is cleaner, way more modern including colors, and alot sleeker. Its lower and longer too which adds to the modern look.

Weight
The 750 is a quick, light, torquey little thing that's relatively easy to handle. If you're turning around or backing up over grass you don't feel like you're wrestling with it. Conversely, you also have to be careful going over bridges on windy days. The 750 lightness is good in most circumstances but not all. The 900 is no where near as touquey. It has plenty of get-up-and-go in middle range rpms and you're not using the clutch as much since you have 150 more cc's. I wouldn't say you're wrestling with her over grass or while moving her around but she's considerably heavier than the 750. On that note, there's absolutely no worries going over a bridge on windy days.

Shape
I feel like I'm kinda sitting in the 750 but feel like I'm sitting on the 900. The 750 has lots of stuff in front of you - the gauges, the bars. The 900 doesn't have that much stuff in front of you. The 900 is longer and lower and considerably more comfy. The stock seat ain't bad either. You do lean slightly more forward on the 900 though. There's more of a stretch to reach the bars - not considerable but noticable.

Handling
The 750 is quicker and more responsive cause its lighter and has WAY more touque. If I were going to do some serious twisties I'd take the 750. The 900 took some getting used to. It felt, at first, like I could only lean so far. Once I got used to her I loved the handling. Its lower so when you lean it really feels like you're over further than you are. Once you get used to that, the added power of the extra 150 cc's is really handy. She's still relatively light in the twisties but you have to have more skill and focus to keep speed with the 750 cause she's longer and heavier.

Overall the 900 is more modern so its easier to work on, a little better looking (IMO), and has more aftermarket goodies available. Its not a bear to manage but its more 'wrestling' than you've ever done with the 750. Its still a Kawi too so its reliable. If you're looking for something more modern in every way, lower, longer, more comfy, with a little more power - the 900's your bike.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 12-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
The 750 is my second bike... and I really do like it even though it's a bit smaller than a giant like me should ride for long hauls (IMO).

My first bike was a Vulcan 800 Classic. It was a beautiful bike and it fit me much better than the 750. I spent a lot of time on that sled and took some serious long rides on it- as far as Florida! Great styling and very comfortable. I could imagine the 900 being in that class when it comes to comfort. I haven't ridden a 900 myself, but the pix I've found look really nice and considering my experience with the 800, I'm sure it's big enough to be more comfortable.

Although I haven't owned one, a good friend of mine has a Harley Dyna Wide Glide. This is actually the bike I'm eying now since my 750 is in pieces in my garage. I'm trying to justify the expense and to find enough cash to buy one while the weather is cold. It's big, longer than the 750, and quite comfortable for long rides. I wish I could get the bike without paying for the harley name though..

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I haven`t ridden a 900, but a friend`s son has a 2008 Custom that I have sat on last summer. I too like the styling of the bike. Over on the Kawi Vulcan Forum, I believe I read that there is an alternate, intermediate drive belt pulley that has a couple of more teeth so you can drop your cruising RPMs, if you do a lot of highway riding.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I'll toss in my vote for the Yamaha (Star) 950. Review here:

http://tinyurl.com/ykwls8k

Rode one at the dealer a few months back , liked it. If you are a bit on the short side , like having a inseam of 30 or less, this bike is would be perfect, I think it has a 26" seat height.
(But still a nice bike if your taller)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 PM

For the tall and fat guys like myself, I like the feel of the Boulevard M50. Its got a wide body and feels comfortable. The 800cc and the 1500cc are the same bike, just different engines. I like the ride of the VN750 but sometimes I feel like grape ape on a kids bike lol

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
scooterboy

Hi All Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I bought a Victory Vegas the end of November and I enjoy the hell out of riding it. My 750 was a 2006 that I bought new. I put 12K on it and it looks better than when I brought it home from the dealer. I followed the recommendations from this forum and from the Yahoo group. The Vulcan is an absolute gem not one bit of trouble, thoroughly enjoyable riding,handling and performance. I can only hope that the Vegas is as good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement