Winter Storage - To start, or not to start? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Winter Storage - To start, or not to start?

Looking for advice/opinions/suggestions on starting/warming up the bike every few weeks during winter storage to keep oil on the internals, or leaving the bike sitting until spring and starting only after changing the oil to keep the 'dry' starts to a minimum. I have seen arguments for both in the forums:

From the Verses https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1192
Quote:
26.10.9. Put the key in a safe place and leave the damn thing alone! Don't start the engine now and then, as tempting as it is in February to hear that roar all your doing is momentarily grinding the metal parts together that don't have oil hanging on them anymore. Better to let this happen once in the spring instead of three or four times in the winter. Besides all running the engine does is gets the condensation running wild in the pipes, engine,
etc. If youve done all the above, your bike is good for the winter. Every once in a while sit on the bike and go, "BBBBbbbbbbbbuuuurrrrrrRRRUuuuummmmmm". The bike will love you for it and perform better in the spring.
From https://www.vn750.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-480.html
Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by jm1515
Nitro...I used to 'winterize', but now I ride...on the centerstand at least once per week. It's my therapy! I go thru the gears and run it till it gots hot.
From https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2685
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by madcityzig
'When doing the oil change before storage why can't you just leave it empty and then when spring comes around just fill it up add a new filter and be ready to go?'

Quote: Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin
With the engine sitting for extended periods, with no oil, it leaves the possibility for condensation in the engine, which leads to rust in the engine, which leads to, well, you get the idea.

Leaving oil in the bike, you can start it up once in awhile, getting the oil all over the internals of the engine, there by removing the chances of rust forming.

Also, with no oil in it for awhile, once you finally do put oil in it and fire it up, you'll have close tolerance parts, moving at high speeds, with no lubrication to protect those parts until the oil is circulated. That's just as bad as having the rust in there.
And that is something to remember throughout winter. I'll start my street and dirtbike up atleast every couple or so weeks if they aren't being used. Just so there's little chance of it seizing up from a 'dry' start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

if the roads are clear and dry, dress in layers and go for a ride. thats what i do. and sinse you live in N.C...that wouldnt be a problem..lol

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I don't know how bad your winters are there, but here in St. Louis we always seem to have seveal nice days durring each winter month that I can go for a ride in. They tell me this will be a more mild winter than last year, so my thinking is never to "put up" the bike but always have it ready to go if the weather permits.

I really do not suggest just letting it run for a few minutes in the garage, but to actualy ride it at least 5-10 miles if you can. Just starting it and letting it run in the garage until it gets "hot" is not really good for it.

Keep the tank FULL and use a generous dose of Seafoam. (I keep a 5 galloon gas can pre-seafoamed to top it off after a ride)

I found that I did not even need to keep my battery on a charger except for one year when I went more than 4 weeks without riding the bike...and it only needed a few minutes to charge up.

If you have a garage, keep the bike covered with a cotton sheet, and if you have tiny animals about , a coffee can of moth balls under the sheet seems to fend them off. (I had a mouse try and build a home under my seat recently)

If you just hate cold weather and do not want to ride durring the winter, follow the advice on the gas tank and cover. Charge the battery occassionally once a month..it is better to bring in into the house somewhere unless you have a heated garage. Many also suggest draining the carbs and filling them with straight seafoam.

Wiinters generaly do not last 6 months, so I think many folks get a bit carried away with winter storage for their bikes. Mine sat for 35 days but still started right up and all I did was cover it with the sheet to keep the dust off.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 03:56 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I really shoulda put in my post you quoted that by running it for awhile, I meant riding it.
Even here in PA, there are some days during the winter months that a short ride can be done somewhat safely (keeping an eye out for those piles of cinders and salt on the road!!)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Hoser

I think that starting without riding is harder on the battery than just letting it sit. I have to admit, though, of mid winter garage burnouts. (still have rubber on the ceiling)

Layer up and ride it. Throw yer wife in the hot tub before you jump in after your ride.

1986 VN750A(2) 12224 miles.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for all the advice... I am keeping the 750 in a buddy's garage right now, but I can't keep it there all winter so I am planning on taking my bike to my parents house in E. Tennessee (~3.5 hours away) for the winter...

If I am lucky, the most I will be able to get over there and ride it is every month or so... until today, I was planning/hoping to leave it for ~4 months.... my dad can't ride anymore, so that's why I started this thread...

Is there any 'safe' way to leave it for ~4 months or should I make it a priority to give her some love every month?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by km60155 View Post
Thanks for all the advice... I am keeping the 750 in a buddy's garage right now, but I can't keep it there all winter so I am planning on taking my bike to my parents house in E. Tennessee (~3.5 hours away) for the winter...

If I am lucky, the most I will be able to get over there and ride it is every month or so... until today, I was planning/hoping to leave it for ~4 months.... my dad can't ride anymore, so that's why I started this thread...

Is there any 'safe' way to leave it for ~4 months or should I make it a priority to give her some love every month?
add some seafoam to the gas and run mix solution into the carbs and top the tank off with fuel , double check your antifreeze to make sure it will hold up to the tempetures it will face and u should be good togo ... I personaly would add a dolup of seafoam to the crank oil also ...

i also noticed a little nest in my aircleaner when i first got her i was a ssuming a little mouse got tired of the cold and made a lil home ...

the good news is i dont store mine in the winter the bad news is i get soaked and cold all winter long ...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

I live in Syracuse NY, ground zero for winter weather. I've read several diffierent opinions on what to do with my bike in winter. Last year I left the bike sitting except for 2-3 short rides around the block on days in the upper 40's (just couldn't help myself). In between, however, I made sure the gas tank was full and Seafoamed and pulled the battery into the house. Would trickle charge it every couple of weeks and the night before a potential riding day to make sure it stayed fresh. Kept it covered to keep dust off it and only rode on dry roads to keep the salt off it. Not sure how much internal condensation damage I may have done but if you're really worried about it, I'd pull the battery out, cover it, put mothballs in a can and let it sit. If it's in a dry, weather-tight garage or shed, it should come through okay.

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

My main concern is really the lack of oil issue on the internal components, this seems like it could be more problematic than condensation issues....although I do not really want either problem!... thanks for all advice guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement