Just Keep It Stock - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
At Least I Can Spell!

Just Keep It Stock

I'm gonna get my a$$ handed to me for this, but I have to say it.

This forum is full of threads with people struggling after making a modification to their machine. (I'm not talking about appearance items here) Turn this out, turn that in, remove this, add that, rejet, marble, coaster, fabricate this, rig that up, weld this, plug this in, unplug that... (ugh)

...then.... it won't run or runs like sh!t and everyone is so surprised.

I say some things are better left alone. Just keep it stock and use it as it was designed to be. This bike is just fine the way it is.

Okay - flame on.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------

Last edited by msh1156; 11-09-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM

I agree with your statement to a point. Although stock may suit you (and myself up to a point), some people like to change things up. Like to be unique. The bike represents the rider. Although stock works for you, others may not like stock. Personally, the VN750 is a really nice bike. I've got mine pretty much stock (except I relocated the R/R because this made sense for the benefit of the bike).

Then there is the fact that some people buy a bike that isn't 100% perfect. Might have a rusted up exhaust/muffler. In this case, why not slap a V&H Cruiser on it and rejet.

Not flaming. Just saying that each individual has an idea of the ride they want and that is how they make their bike, their bike. So there is no right or wrong here. Its individualism.

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 PM

I modded the crap of the 750 but so far haven't touched the mean streak. I plan on keeping the mean streak all stock until I need to do something to it but the way it is now, it doesn't need anything. Plus she's purdy, IMHO.

The VN750 was my first bike and like most things, I jumped in with both feet. I wanted to learn all I could about it and so got to wrenching just about as soon as I got it. Some people need to wrench, tinker, and play, some people don't. Some people put new exhaust on, change the air intake, then realize they have to rejet. Although unplanned this doesn't bother them, it intrigues them. Its just more tinkerin' and learning they get to do. The opposite is also true, "MAN, I should've just left it the -beeeep- alone!!!" No flame of course just to each there own. I'm starting the paint job on my practice tank soon and if all goes well, I'll be doing the 750 tins - we'll see!

Have you had some experiences recently that made you feel this way? Can we help with something?

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 11-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM

I picked up my vn on a dare... It was a salvage bike that was not running, damaged and I never intended to restore to stock - not worth it, that's why it was totaled. So I've modded just to get her back on the road.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I think sometimes folks bite off a bit more than they can chew...and run into problems. Other times the bike has a list of issues to start with, and they get ignored. Changing things to make them better is always a good thing.

To be honest here , I made alot of cosmetic mods to my bike, and this lead to alot of nice products that others ended up enjoying too...My lightbar, driver and passenger floorboards,rear turnsignal relocation bracket, the highway pegs bar, the invisable lowers, the grab bars, and the Dash.

All of these were bolt ons I added to my bike, that was completely stock. I never relocated the R/R , messed with the ACCT's , nor earshaved, degoated or even changed the bars. The bike ran like a freaking top the 5 years I owned it, and from what I understand is still going strong.

(I do however have a completely disassembled VN750 sitting in my garage that someday I will put back together.)

Stock bikes retain their resale value better, but come on, owners like to tinker, and many like to modify any bike they own. Try and keep in mind now that every Vulcan on the road right now is at least 3 years old...and most are older. They are not high priced motorbikes, so they do make a good choice for begining wrenches to practice on. Other than the carbs being a pain in the ass to remove/reinstall, the bike is very easy to work on...and there are proven things one can modify without causing damage that will in fact make the bike better if done correctly.

In a forum like this, you will always see folks who are haveing problems with their bikes,as rarely do folks post- " My bike is running beautifully , just thought you all should know" ... so it seems everyone has problems with their bike.... and as most Vulcans here have some mod done to them, it would be a bit remiss say that is the route of the problems.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 PM

Hey we're guys....that's just what guys do, right? Drink beer and screw with stuff! We can't leave anything alone! We'll either fix it or break it trying. When we were kids we would ALL yank that 3 1/5 hp Briggs engine out of that go-kart and stuff in a 10 hp if given the chance.... and then try to sqeeze more power out of that 10 hp! Ooh ooh aah aah! It can always be faster, bigger or better!

No offense to you ladies out there....it's a guy thing.

By the way, my bike is running beautifully! Just thought you all should know....he he

Name: "Bike"
*Battery connected at both ends!
*Real air in the tires
*New Registration sticker
*Seat wiped off
*Low AND Hi beam headlight!
*New #1157 tail light bulb
*Brake pedal still on the right
*Custom valve stem caps made from black plastic!
*Custom built ignition key from Kawasaki
Does anybody really care?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Love My Baby

Bought my baby brand spanking new, and have only made modest mods like LED brake lights and some cosmetic stuff. But if I bought her used and in need, I could easily see myself tinkering with my "project bike" and seeing what happens if I do this, that or the other thing. For me, it just depends on the need, I guess.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Hey you have done stuff too. Maybe not as intense as some of these other projects. But you figured out how to grease your splines, get both tires off at once. (still dont know how you pulled that off) I couldn't do it. I had to make two trips. At least on the 750 I had a center stand. My 900 I am going to have to get a jack.
To me growing up owning a bike meant half rider/ half mech. Plus everybody likes to bich once and awhile. Thats why god gave us forums

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan750 View Post
Hey we're guys....that's just what guys do, right? Drink beer and screw with stuff!
You read my mind. If you ever come to Washington State, your invited to my place for some beer, shoot the empties, and build my bobber project (Spectre 750).

;-)

Now go get your hands dirty, leave the toilet seat up, and don't wipe your feet.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM
The Professor

If you don't make it yours it's not yours, it's the same as the other one. At least for now we can choose!! Maybe not for long.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS