Might Buy A Vulcan 750 (NEWBIE) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Might Buy A Vulcan 750 (NEWBIE)

Hello all,
I am new to motorcycles and everything, and am going to spend 3,000$ on a bike. I have 2 choices, a 2002 Honda Shadow 600 with 2800 miles, or a 2002 Vulcan 750 with 19,000 miles. I like the vulcan more for sure, but it does have 19k miles and a minor (and I do mean minor) amount of rust on some bolts and speedometer and tachometer bezels. The guy tells me the 750 is a very advanced engine, but it does have a ticking noise (which he says he will fix).

What are your suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:55 PM
dsr

I recently purchased a Vulcan 06. It was a great bike. I sold it and traded it in on a st1300. My vulcan made a ticking noise from the time I picked it up. My wife wanted more of a full fairing bike. The guys at the motorcycle shop said they can sell a new one for 5500.00. I bet you could probably get him down a little from 3000.00. Overall I really enjoyed the vulcan. It is probably the most fun you can have for the money with your pants on. Have fun. The factory vulcan windshield was very easy to install. The motor protector was not quite as easy because you had to take off the foot pegs.

Last edited by dsr; 03-03-2006 at 01:58 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:28 PM

I got a 1990 from a dealership. All I can say, whichever bike you get, try to get a third party opinion on the bike. I didn't and I'm paying for it in both time and money. I was also new to bikes and buying used vehicles in general, so I wished I could have gotten a 3rd party opinion on the bike. I still probably would have gotten it, but I would have been better armed to deal if I had known about relatively easy to spot problems had I known then what I know now. But other than the problems I'm having which will be fixed in a couple of weeks I do like the bike a lot. I agree with dsr, it is quite a bit of fun.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:05 PM

If the bike has had it's regular maintenance and no issues along the way it should be a good purchase. If he had maintenance reciepts for work done that can offer you piece of mind. If he has done his own maintenance, ask him what he has done and how often.

My wife and I bought 750's...one's a 91 and the other's a 94. I have to say that doing the drive shaft maintenance is easy due to the ability to take down the stock exhaust/rear end of the bike. Working on the carbs can be difficult if you have to remove them as there is little room to get them in and out.

I like the 750 as it has alot of nice features. Check it out good and make sure whatever the ticking sound is that it's fixed before you deal.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 05:37 AM

It looks like you have two different bikes here...
One that got ridden, and one that didn't.

It may be that the shadow had an owner that was a wkend rider, or, it might have been sitting. No way to really know.

Considering they are the same age, the Vulcan might be the better by even with the mileage because its not good for a bike to sit. You tend to have more problems with bikes if they weren't addressed for long sits between rides.
Bikes that have a few miles on them generally, tend to be more reliable.

19,000 miles for a 4 year old bike is not bad. That about 5,000 miles per year.
Geez...I put that on my bike in 4 short months!

No matter which bike, try to get maint/service records for them.

I would shoot for the Vulcan first and try to get him down on the price. Because of the mileage, you have some negotiating room.

To give you a frame of reference, I purchased a 2002 Vulan 750 last August (NY/NJ area). It had 5000 miles on the odometer. The guy was a wkend rider and could no longer ride do to some back problems. The bike had a windshield, driving lights, new maint free battery. I paid $3500. I have no regrets...bike has been great.

This too, is my first motorcycle.... be safe and enjoy!

Dom
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:03 AM

Hello JIM, I bought a 01 a year ago with 3400 miles, like new for $3000. only equip. was saddle bags, and saddlebag supports. If you do decide to get the vn750, get it in writing what the gentleman will fix. For $3000.I would look for a lower mileage bike, or negotiate a lower price. I read a couple of reviews after reading your post, both of them stated the Honda 600 was good up to 65 mph, after that they had some vibes, and seemed to be working some. Comparing the two bikes is like comparing apples to oranges, the specs on the honda shows a four speed tranny, chain drive, spoke wheels, nothing wrong with that if that is what you like. I have been riding for 44 years and have owned about 50 (fifty) bikes from 50cc to 1300 voyager. I will say after that many years, and that many bikes the vn750 gives asmany smiles per mile as any bike I have owned. With that said buy the bike you like, there are a lot of bikes out there and they all have to be ridden. Good luck whatever you do.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the vulcan due to the extra features added. I feel pretty good about it, this was my first venture into buying and riding a motorcycle, so after dropping it once (thankfully no harm done) I finally learned how to ride it. I was gonna go out of town on it today, but the wind just killed me, so I came back home, I guess that is why they still make cars.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:43 PM

the wind got ya huh... my dad rides till theres ice on the ground, and if there isnt he rides in the teens (i know, but he loves to ride and save gas to boot) and has over 20 grand on his 2004 low rider (maybe close to 30). but on to the point we've owned tons of bikes between us and the vulcan is one of my favorites. no valve adjustments, center stand, tach, everythings on this bike and its got enough power to run with or beat most bikes up to 1500cc. you made a good choice
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 AM
750fatboy

Send a message via Yahoo to falteas
my '97 vulcan has over 127,000 mil. on it, it still runs great, smooth ride, i got it for $2000, but has no warrenty on it, i lucked out. your's should have at least a 90 day warrenty, that dose help. alot of dealer's wont do bad by you for they need good rep these days, but you can tell by a bad sales rep.
you should of seen if you could of got it down to $2,500. the minor rust, should be taken care of soon, it could spread. make sure the cables are good.

good luck with it, its a great choice.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:44 AM
"ya can't live forever"

You finally learned how to ride it ? Even though I believe you made a terriffic
choice in buying the Vulcan , ya need to be cautious.The bike has a lot of power and ya need to be ready to ride it safely. Have you taken an MSF course? If not I would highly recommend it. ........not criticizing just wanna
keep all the riders we can, healthy !! Good Luck with the bike !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement