Topcase for Vulcan 750... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Topcase for Vulcan 750...

I have found that a topcase is one of the most useful accessories one can have on a bike--even handier than good saddlebags--on a daily basis.

I have a Givi E45N topcase and would like to use it on my Vulcan as well as on my Concours. Does anyone have any experience with mounting this item on the Vulcan?

I'm open to suggestions about using other topcases and mounting systems if you can point me in that direction. I don't have a luggage rack or any other hardware on the rear of the bike. I also don't object to blocking access to the locking compartment on the back of the backrest, as long as I can open it with the topcase dismounted.

Many thanks...ride safely....

Roy

2005 Concours
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2004 Vulcan 750 sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:36 AM

Wow, for hard luggage, it seems pretty decent priced I guess. I always thought you'd have to spend 300 or more to start out. That said, I have no idea how to mount it. You might be able to fabricate some sort of custom brackets connecting it to the seat mout and back rest, but wouldn't that put a lot of weight over or behind the rear wheel, messing up handling?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Topcases always mount aft of the passenger seat and the 20 lbs or so does not affect handling...windage perhaps, but not normal handling. I guess I've seen some cases jury-rigged to the passenger seat, but that's not an option if you want the seat for a duffel bag or your lady's behind.

I'm no fabricator and I need something I can BUY to mount the case.

2005 Concours
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2004 Vulcan 750 sold

Last edited by VulcanVoyager; 02-28-2006 at 09:46 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:04 AM

http://www.happy-trail.com/productin...16&startpage=4

I've heard people say that you can put more weight on the vulcan luggage rack, instead of the 5 lbs. But I bet that with this, and some bolts, maybe a few peices of steel stock, you could bolt this adapter to the rack, and it would sit far enough back.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

That system is for a KLR 650...how would it work on a Vulcan 750?

2005 Concours
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2004 Vulcan 750 sold
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:23 AM

Not sure, which is why I think you may need to drill some holes in some steel and clamp that to the luggage rack. Then you could attach the case to that. Its just a thought.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Ahhhhh...I think I see now, InsuredDisaster...you were suggesting I use that system along with the Kawasaki luggage rack...guess that might work.

Unfortunate that the Kawasaki rack is so small, though....looks like it's much narrower and shorter than the Givi mounting plate.

The 5 lb load limit doesn't concern me too much unless the Vulcan's luggage rack mounting system is REALLY flimsy (I've not seen it). There is a 5 lb limit on the standard luggage rack on my Concours as well, and that is a sturdy, fiber-reinforced plastic rack mounted directly over the metal fender/frame support. My Givi topcase has resided there, and the case and contents weigh significantly more than 5 lbs.

Any more ideas out there?

2005 Concours
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2004 Vulcan 750 sold

Last edited by VulcanVoyager; 02-28-2006 at 10:36 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You likely will have to install the luggage rack. They are quite sturdy. If you are not good at fabricating stuff, it might be more difficult, but yes, the idea is to bolt the Givi base to the luggage rack..somehow. You might need to buy a larger "plate" to go inbetween the base and the rack as the rack is kinda small.
You might be able to retro fit the one from the 650 somehow, as it appears to have its own "side rails".

The one problem I see with most top cases fitted to the Vulcan is that it covers up alot of the tail light. From way behind this may not be a problem , but it does make it harder for cars right behind you to pick out your lights.
So what ever you come up with I think it would be a good idea to mount the case as high as you can.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:27 PM

Maybe add a LED tail light to the hard case. Quick connect connectors or something so that you can remove the case and light. If you used an LED light, I bet you wouldn't add that much of a draw. It might also add visibility to you bike, and thats not a bad thing. So, is the 5lb Vulcan rack limit a handling thing or a structural thing?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I don't know, but I suspect it's a "handling thing."

I just picked up my rack yesterday, and I'll tell you, it is one well-made hunk of metal. The mounting flanges are 3/16 inch thick. This is the first Kawasaki aftermarket accessory I've bought, and I'm happy to say that the chrome-job is excellent. The top-sides of the welds are perfectly smooth and are as nice as anything I've seen on any custom bike. The undersides of the welds not so perfect, but still look good and are structurally quite sound. Way to go, Kaw! Worth the money.

Now to go out to the bike and see if the mounting points are as strong as the rack and the 6 bolts that hold it in place. If they are even close, I'm sure the rack can handle my topcase and the lighter items I plan to carry in it.

--Roy

2005 Concours
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2004 Vulcan 750 sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement