What does the reserve lighting device do? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

What does the reserve lighting device do?

I was just curious what this device actually does? Having issues with headlight. Won't come on when bike is running. Not sure if its related but also the kill switch on the kick stand and the turn signal cancellation is not working either. I have also noticed when the bike is on and idling stead that the front signal lights get brighter and dimmer. They do this also when I have engine at 3000 RPM. Multiple issues possible. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Troubleshooting done so far:
I have checked the wire from the area where the starter button is located to the lamp and get no voltage to the headlight. I know the headlight works because I can hook it up to the spare hot wire in the headlight casing and the light comes on. So at the moment its hooked to a switch I manually use to turn the light on and off but then I don't have option of Hi/Low beam. Just 1 or the other. New MF battery was installed about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Old battery was acid and pretty much toast. There was a lot of acid leakage in and around the battery box. So I went to Autozone and bought Linx Battery cleaner spray. Its suppose to clean off and neutralize the acid that is spilled. Do you think it would be okay to just spray that stuff in the box and surrounding components and then hose off with water to clean it up? Being lazy and not wanting to take all those components off the battery case.

Last edited by Chavisimo; 10-14-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I think that your r/r (regulator rectifier) is bad. It is not keeping a proper level. Your level probably went too high and burn your head light. Your reading should be more level at a give rpm. Also that light is a warning that your head light is out. imo

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Love My Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavisimo View Post
I was just curious what this device actually does?
The reserve lighting system works when one filiment of your headlight is burned out, and switches over your headlight to the filiment that is not burned out. The indicator lamps let you know when this is happening. See the attached file and enlarge it so it's more readable.

Attachment 2361

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks niterider. It just might be the R/R. There is a lot of battery acid that leaked from the old battery. If your scenario is true, what else would I need to look at for the headlight? I have 2 light bulbs and both only work when wired to the spare hot wire in the headlight casing.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:03 AM
Love My Baby

Quote:
There was a lot of acid leakage in and around the battery box. So I went to Autozone and bought Linx Battery cleaner spray. Its suppose to clean off and neutralize the acid that is spilled. Do you think it would be okay to just spray that stuff in the box and surrounding components and then hose off with water to clean it up? Being lazy and not wanting to take all those components off the battery case.
I would NOT suggest hosing off electrical components with water. You'll corrode everything. Battery acid really screws up the components, too. You don't have much choice but to clean all contacts individually, maybe even having to use sandpaper too. Then apply some dielectric grease before reconnecting. Your junction box may be toasted, too. Hope not.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

rubyrick. I am not able to access that attachment. I get an error saying its an invalid attachment. Let me see if I can explain this better. The spare hot wire is spliced into the highbeam hotwire. So when I have the bike running and the switch to low beam, I get the headlight indicator. When I switch to hi beam, headlight indicator turns off but the also the highbeam indicator is not lit (I assume because of the headlight rigging up)
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Junctgion box and R/R. Is there anything else I will need to check?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

The reserve lighting unit will automatically turn on the other element in the headlight if one should burn out. Just a safety feature to not leave you without light half way around a dark curve some night. If I recall correctly, it only works once per bulb. If you shut the bike off or move the lo/hi beam selector, the reserve unit does not kick in again.

I looked back and believe you have a 2003 model vn750. (Fillout a signature, and give us a little info about your bike, and what mods, repairs or service you have done. It will help figure out what hasn`t yet been done). You do not have signal light cancellation. That was only on the early bikes for 3 or 4 years, `85 to `87 or `88.

Are you saying the safety switch on the sidestand doesn`t shut the engine off if the stand is down when the tranny is put in gear? I`m not sure what would cause that, unless the little arm that sticks out is broken off or bent ,so as not to touch the sidestand when it is down. It is easier for me to see a faulty switch there not allowing the bike to start. In any case, whatever is wrong with it, spray some WD-40 or the like into it and work the switch lever around to clear and clean any mud and small rocks out.

Check your battery voltage at the posts while the bike is running and see what readings you get when the lights brighten and dim as you describe. It sounds like possible r/r problems, or loose connections or corrosion. Clean all connections with electronic cleaner spray and emery cloth or sandpaper, and seal them with dielectric grease.

Do a search for "reserve lighting unit". There are near 50 threads with a couple of promising looking ones for you near the end of the list. Here is one from the Verses:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1105

I hope something here helps you Find the problem.

Edit: Boy am I ever a slow typer, 6 posts made here since I started. Might be a lot of redundant advice in my post. LOL

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 10-14-2009 at 01:20 AM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

signature updated. I hope this helps. I got the bike a little over a month ago. It had 13,000 miles and that's when I did all the maintenance stuff. Since then, i've been trying to get that darn headlight to work like it should.

Question: Would any year R/R and Junction box work on my 2003 VN750?

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C

Last edited by Chavisimo; 10-14-2009 at 01:28 AM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
signature updated. I hope this helps. I got the bike a little over a month ago. It had 13,000 miles and that's when I did all the maintenance stuff. Since then, i've been trying to get that darn headlight to work like it should.

Question: Would any year R/R and Junction box work on my 2003 VN750?
j box and rr are the same I'm pretty sure ...

battery acid clean up can also be done with bakinsoda and h20... however like stated befor still need to do over each contact make sure clean and dry then some dielecric...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement