1/4 mile times, Stock vs de-emissioned - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
McGyver

1/4 mile times, Stock vs de-emissioned

Has any body seen any improvement in there 1/4 mile times after a degoat and earshave with bigger jets and all.
If so, how much improvement did you see.
Just curious.

--------------
1986 VN750
22.000 miles
Relocated R/R
Emgo air filters
Rebuilt Carbs
New wires and caps
Polished Rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Someone on the other board ran a earshaved bike , not on a 1/4 mile run but on a dyno and it looked like there was a 4 to 5 horsepower gain.
This would work out to about 0.6 seconds quicker in the !/4 mile...with a higher top speed.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
McGyver

Doesnt sound bad.
We have a motorcycle dyno at work.
I haven't dyno-ed my bike yet,but i will.
I'll post some before and after numbers when i get that far.
Im also going to try to mod my pickups or case so i can move them up vertically a tad, therefore increase my ignition timing.
That way I may be able to run something other than 87 octane fuel.
Thanx.

--------------
1986 VN750
22.000 miles
Relocated R/R
Emgo air filters
Rebuilt Carbs
New wires and caps
Polished Rims

Last edited by Hammer034; 09-29-2009 at 05:11 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Why would you want to run "something other than 87 octane fuel" ???

Higher octane gas does not provide more power...it is simply for high compression motors that suffer from preignition. It actualy burns slower and is harder to ignite.

But we would all be intrested in seeing some dyno runs of the same bike before and after various mods.

KM

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 PM

I am de-goated, just not earshaved, and have been on a 1/4 track against a Dyna. Edged him out with a 13.1 at 101.3. He laughed at my bike before, so I pushed her as hard as I was comfortable with. He was shaking his head afterward and then a few months later put a big bore kit, with upgraded carbs, and a hot cam in his bike.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Why would you want to run "something other than 87 octane fuel" ???

Higher octane gas does not provide more power...it is simply for high compression motors that suffer from preignition. It actualy burns slower and is harder to ignite.

But we would all be intrested in seeing some dyno runs of the same bike before and after various mods.

KM
These motors are high comp motors(10.3:1) that need at least 91 octane. they will run on 87 octane because the factory timing is set for emmissions.
True, higher octane fuel does burn slower, But with slower burning fuel you can advance the ign. timing to start burnig the fuel sooner for a more complete burn. The engine will run more efficient ie. more power, which I think thats what Hammer is loking for (hey, aren't we all).

Hammer, keep us posted on the ign. mod and the dyno run. I'm sure you are aware that you'll prob need to run a lil fatter on the jetting when adv. the ign.
Since the comb. process will be starting sooner you'll need more fuel too burn.

Gimpyrdr,way to represent. are ya gonne try to run him again after his mods?

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Metal radiator drain plug
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12903

Debaffling my stock pipes
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12756
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUMPYSKAW View Post
These motors are high comp motors(10.3:1) that need at least 91 octane. they will run on 87 octane because the factory timing is set for emmissions.
True, higher octane fuel does burn slower, But with slower burning fuel you can advance the ign. timing to start burnig the fuel sooner for a more complete burn. The engine will run more efficient ie. more power, which I think thats what Hammer is loking for ?
Well first off, this is not 1973 and 10.3:1 is not really considered a "High Compression" motor any more, bikes with 13.2:1 are.
The factory timing is already done to ensure "efficientcy"... as if what you are saying is true, the EPA would have all engines tuned like you said if it burned more efficiantly and provided more power.

What you are talking about is changing the timing so the bike runs more "efficient" at a specific rpm, namely a higher one. This might be a good idea with a bike with a 11000 rpm redline but seems almost idiotic to do to a V twin unless you plan on racing it.

And although the bike will run great at 6000 rpms, it will run like crap at idle or low engine speeds. It will also use more fuel, not less, and if you are using 93 octane, you will be emptying your wallet alot more often.

Perhaps you can install some hotter cams too...and bigger valves. Hell, why not shoehorn a Kaw 1500 motor in there instead, bet you could get some power out of that..............lol.

KM

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:08 PM

I guess you're right, there is no need to find more power in a stock engine because they come from the factory with all the power thay can make. no need for improvement. Guess thats why there isn't any market for "aftermarket performace parts".HE HE HE
P.S I was thinking earlier today " I wonder if they make bigger cams for my VN700", guess that would be a waste of money becuase my bike already makes all the power it can.LOL. thanks for theidea about the 1500 thing.
Please take all of this in a friendly way I'm not trying to start an argument. I've already figured out that my priorities are wayyy different than yours.

About the efficiency, I mas talking about combustion efficiency not fuel efficiency, saddly more power in most cases does mean more fuel. sorry for the confusion.

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12903

Debaffling my stock pipes
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12756

Last edited by STUMPYSKAW; 09-29-2009 at 11:25 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUMPYSKAW View Post
I guess you're right, there is no need to find more power in a stock engine because they come from the factory with all the power thay can make. no need for improvement. Guess thats why there isn't any market for "aftermarket performace parts".HE HE HE
P.S I was thinking earlier today " I wonder if they make bigger cams for my VN700....... sorry for the confusion.
I think you are confused too, as I never said a stock bike can not be improved upon to gain a bit more power. If you read my first post here you would have seen I actualy said an earshaved bike can gain 4 to 5 horsepower.

My point , as you seemingly missed it, was that , yeah, an earshave with proper jetting will increase power as I mentioned, but adding to that screwing with the timiing an using high octane gas will add so little it really is not worth the trouble, as you will just create a bike that burns more fuel, (and expensive fuel to boot...) and runs rough at low speeds.

And I am sure you know what your doing, but I lost count of how many bikes came into the shop that ran poorly all because of their backyard mechanic owners attempts at "making her faster".......

Secondly, we are talking about the Vulcan 700/750 , so good luck finding those "bigger cams". Granted , if we were talking about a Honda VTX , there are several companies offering performace kits with hotter cams, bigger bore pistons with high compression domes, larger valves, stronger springs, etc , etc..Even an older model like the CB750 has high performance items still available.

But I was talking about the Vulcan only here, and there ain't much out there other than aftermarket pipes and standard over bore pistons.

(also keep in mind that 95% of the members here are always going to be potentialy ahead of you in the power race as they have that extra 50 cc of displacement more than you)

Next I need to point out to all those that are confused that the "goats belly" is not a catalytic converter, or some EPA mandated power killer. In fact, Kawasaki refers to this part as "a power chamber" which , disregarding the hype, is in fact true. It is specificly designed to ensure power throughout the rpm range, and is one of the better concieved exhausts ever offered on a motorcycle.
I should also point out the glut of aftermarket pipes for V twin cruisers are made more for looks and sound ... rather than gaining significant power.

And please don't get the idea I was trying to poop on your parade here, there is alot to be said for the "because it is there" reason to try and squeeze what you can out of what you got. Hell , I just read awhile back about a guy trying to put a turbocharger on his Honda Rebel...

What I was trying to point out was that the vulcan is, for its size, a pretty quick little bike, and can smoke many of the other twin cruisers on the market today, including bikes with almost twice the displacement....but that it does have it's limits and if you are looking for big gains in power, you really have the wrong platform to start with. You can shave your poodle , feed it steriods and take it to the dog track, but it still will be a greyhound that will win.

Another often avoided trick to shaving off some time from your 1/4 mile runs is to .............diet. If the average american is 20 pounds overweight, that's at least 0.04 seconds you can gain by eating and exercising.

Speed and power can always be increased to some extent, but keeping a bike dependable, reliable , and enjoyable to ride are things worth keeping in mind. You can spend alot of time , effort and cash making your bike "faster" but still someday some kid on a 600cc sportbike is going to blow your perverbial doors off and laugh at you....so speed is all relative you know............

KM

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM

Hey KM. I hope we haven't hijacked this thread with our bench (keyboard) racing. It's been fun.
P.S I wish I was only 20LBS over weight.

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700