Outside bike cover - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Outside bike cover

Just wondering what you guys use for an outside rain cover. Was looking at a Dowco Gurdian large or medium. Which one would fit better? Anyother suggestions?
Thanks, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:56 PM

Bike Cover

I just ordered a Nelson Rigg XL for mine. Between my full size saddle bags, extended sissy bar and full size windshield I thought that I'd rather have it too large than too small.

I hope I didn't order the wrong size. It should be here Tuesday.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjenwaldner
Just wondering what you guys use for an outside rain cover. Was looking at a Dowco Gurdian large or medium. Which one would fit better? Anyother suggestions?
Thanks, Brian
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:17 PM

I have had 2 Dowco covers in the past and neither of them held up well. They also let rain through. I had to replace them after only a year. This time I bought a Nelson Rigg and it seems to be made better and more durable.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 08:48 AM

I have a Dowco Guardian (large) and am happy with it.
The bottom part of the cover isn't heat sensitive so you dont have to worry about it melting on potentially hot parts of the bike.

Though true it is not waterPROOF, it is water resistant.
I have my bike under a carport and find it does a fine job of keeping the morning due, blown rain, ect... from contacting the bike.

I have a 2nd cheap nylon cover I keep in my saddlebag to cover the bike when I am out and about. Since I try not to ride in the rain, this cover isn't to keep it dry so much as keeping the bird crap, tree sap, and dust off the bike while I have it parked outside.

Dom
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 09:54 AM

In my carport, I use a simple ripstop plastic tarp that I loosely drape over the bike, so that the mirrors support it in front, and I tie it to the rear so it doesn't sag down onto the seat. Don't laugh..it works!

It is waterproof, and it does not breathe, but loosely draped, it lets air circulate and it does the job of keeping off the rain, dust, and sun.

Last year, I used a fitted, breathable, vented cover that used elastic to fit snugly around the pipes, and I had an unacceptable amount of minor pitting on the chrome and other parts. Apparently the snug fit elevated the humidity enough to accelerate the pitting, in spite of the fact the cover could breathe a bit and was vented near the mirrors.

So far, the cheapie plastic drape works fine...no pitting.

Of course, a drape would not work well if the bike were completely outdoors where the wind could whip it around.

Just an alternative, for those of you with partially-garaged bikes.

--Roy
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replys. I will definatley use the info.
Brian
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
i use a Nelson Rigg XL and it has seen better days, just needs a good washing and a new coat of scotch gaurd. it came with the bike from the previous owner, and for being in texas weather, and from previous uses of tarps in texas i would say it gets an A+. plus fits nicely with a windsheild too.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 PM

Nelson Rigg XL

I just received my Nelson Rigg XL today and tried it on my bike. It seems to fit well. I'm glad I went with the XL instead of the large.

Michael
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Bike Cover Comparision

What are your experiences with the following motorcycle covers.

Covermax Deluxe Motorcycle Cover.
Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Cover.
Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Plus Cover.
Nelson Rigg Defender 400/500/600 series.
Nelson Rigg Defender 2000.

The covermax is available locally whereas the Dowco & Nelson-Rigg Defender needs to be mail ordered. Also if you have owned one in past please let us know what accessories you had (windscreen size, saddle bags, etc) and what size cover you used. And of course if you would recommend the cover to others.

TIA
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 12:31 PM

i would like a recommendation for a cover to place over my bike while its stored in amy shed over the winter. it gets fairly humid and moist in my shed. doesnt let rain in but i have gone out to have my bike covered in condensation before. i would like to have some sort of good breathable cover that won't trap the mositure inside. thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement