55 Days... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
55 Days...

I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't happened to me, but 55 days is the projected prison sentence for my dear, sweet, Vanessa!!

She went into the shop in July after much debate and sadness over my inability to schedule time to fix her myself. I dropped her off to the shop that had been recommended to me locally and upon first impression I was quite encouraged- clean shop, seemingly good people, mechanics that answered my questions off the top of their heads.. I was ok with leaving my sled with them for the short 10-15 hours I was expecting to loose her for the stator replacement.

Well I had dropped her off on a Thursday and the following Saturday they asked me to come in and look at the Rotor. After much discussion and contemplation, I decided the Rotor was fine and did not need replaces, opting for new V&H cruisers to be mounted instead. We made some calls from the shop to find the pipes and jet kit in stock, I placed the order, and after convincing myself this thing was worth the $1700 I'm being charged for the whole process, I decided it was worth it and would only be a few days til she comes home.

They had problems pulling the motor. They wasted days to question the Rotor, the "lost" an o ring for the carb that set us back another week, and then.. when I started calling, the guy said "We're having trouble getting her back together"

Well.. I lost my cool. Day 50 had arrived and I was unable to get any definitive answers from my guy, who happened to be the shop owner. So I rousted the beast inside me that I put to sleep in my early 20's. I took the title, some cash, my unhappy attitude, and all 250# of my 6'5" frame up to the shop this past Thursday. I walked in and explained to the owner very calmly that I'd lost my patience and was prepared to be done with being nice. They were either going to set a deadline by which they would have the work done (and stick to it) or they would give me $3,000 cash and I would sign the title over to them. The guy ran me through the hoops of how hard this model is to work on and that there are "good" jobs and "bad" jobs- this one just went sour. He tried to tell me countless times that "it's not like we don't know what we're doing"...save it chief!

Anyway.. by the time I walked out, he knocked a considerable chunk off the labor costs and told me Tuesday (tomorrow, day 55) would be the day. I'm hoping he's accurate because I'll have to either be locked up in a prison or a looney bin otherwise- I'm soooo done with not having my bike!

Makes me want to do what I know is so irresponsible and just go finance a brand new VN2000 or something but I'd like to avoid ruining my family. I just want my bike back- is that really a lot to ask?

Never again! The next time this thing needs a repair, she's going up for sale. I just don't have the heart to loose an entire summer to such things-remember this started in April!!

Hope to be in the wind soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Ooh sounds like a shop here in Tallahassee ....actually all MC shops in tally are just like that .Sorry buddy hope everything works out tomorrow keep us informed . Maybe we all can call this guy and start harassing him to get it done today lol imo
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I feel for you, and hope you get your ride back in great shape. At least the weather should be ideal when you get her.

Really never had a situation where I "had trouble getting her back together". Yes, I've had problems, but they were due to my lack of experience with that machine, rather than the machine itself. I mean it goes back together pretty much the same way it came apart, for crying out loud! It shouldn't be that difficult for a competent shop. Think your approach to the shop was appropriate. To have her that long and give you the run around just isn't right. You shouldn't have to pay for their lack of experience.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles man. My bike was down for a week or so a couple weeks ago and it was making me antsy. I can only imagine 55 days. I thought you brought these things to the shop to get it done fast and right.

Hope they make this right by you and it comes out running like new. Good luck bro.

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <To Be Named Later>
Purchased Used on 05/09/2009
11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
New Shinko 230 Tour Masters
110/90/19 Front 150/90/15 Back
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <Parts Bike>
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

WOW!! 55 days? Hope they knocked a good bit off the labor charges!!
When I had mine at the shop for the stator, they only had it for 3 days, IIRC.
Woulda been sooner, but it was during the riding season and they were kinda busy. Ended up only being $308 + parts that I supplied.

I'd be sure to let them know that if any future issues arise from any work they did, you'll be back and expect compansations of some kind to make up for time lost riding/enjoying your bike.

Good luck on them having it done when they said it would be

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm with blicky - let's all call and say, "Hey! Get our buddy back on the road!" Or, better yet, there's a few of us here who would be willing to accept compensation as consultants since they think this is such a "hard" bike to work on.

Next time she needs a fix, don't even think of selling her. In 55 days, you, too, could be a Vulcan Zen Master.

C
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 PM

I agree with Corbin, next time your lady throws you for a loop, ask on the boards. I did my stator (85 VN700) in 4 and a half hours, from draining fluids to back on the road. 55 days? Someone needs tar and feathers or a good running over with the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope they pull till they hear a pop and get your scoot badk to you!!

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I knew crap about stator replacement and did mine in about 16 hours, ask the shop if they need a mechanic, I can do way better than they are doing. wish we could have hooked up, I would have helped you for nothing, even with me trying to find time it would have been way cheaper and a lot quicker than that. good luck!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Search Goddess

Well..
I can totally sympathize.. How long has mine been "in the shop"? I'm losing count, but I think it went in the end of July, or first part of August.
First I had to wait a week since their Tech was on vacation,
Then it was another week and a half because when he came back he was "Backed up",
Then found out my stator wires had "jumped the guide" inside the cover and were chewed up (Not bad since they did order a Rick's stator).. and that was even overnighted. Goal then was to have my bike back to me by August 21st which would still be cutting it close for me to reattach the sidecar and do the alignment in time for the Gathering.
Now it is going through the 4th or 5th engine pull because they still haven't corrected the oil leak (Bike was originally taken in to fix the oil leak and a coolant leak, Their diagnosis.. new seals and gaskets, total in parts $64).
The dealer is sweating it because now he knows I have attended the VN750 Gathering Aug 26th-30th (without my bike) and tomorrow will be heading up for the VROC World Reunion, Sept 16-20 (again without my bike), and that every VROC-AR member knows why I am bike-less, along with the 30,000 VROC members on VROC.org.
Now, the real kicker.. This is a trusted dealer, more so than the other Kawasaki dealer in Little Rock. I'm about ready to get my bike back and JB Weld the stator cover in place! (this is the last remaining area that the are trying to fix an oil leak supposedly)
My cost so far? $775. Not bad for an engine pull and a new stator (they have been eating the costs for all of the subsequent engine pulls, and gaskets), but my concern is they are going to wear something else out doing all of the engine pulls!
I'll be doing an article for Accelerate Magazine and am very tempted to mention it in the article but I think Kawasaki might edit it out.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Dianna, I took mine to the Kawasaki dealership in Jacksonville/Cabot to get both fork seals replaced because one of them were leaking. I always so change both because what one is doing now, the other will be doing shortly. They were very professional with me and had my bike done in less then a week. This is with them saying they are backlogged with work and it would take a minimum of 2 weeks. I even ordered a lightbulb and cotter pin from them and they installed it on the bike without charge. I know its not a big deal but it was nice of them to do. The person I dealt with is J.R. Griggs. Although, you're probably not wanting another shop to take your bike anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement