I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't happened to me, but 55 days is the projected prison sentence for my dear, sweet, Vanessa!!
She went into the shop in July after much debate and sadness over my inability to schedule time to fix her myself. I dropped her off to the shop that had been recommended to me locally and upon first impression I was quite encouraged- clean shop, seemingly good people, mechanics that answered my questions off the top of their heads.. I was ok with leaving my sled with them for the short 10-15 hours I was expecting to loose her for the stator replacement.
Well I had dropped her off on a Thursday and the following Saturday they asked me to come in and look at the Rotor. After much discussion and contemplation, I decided the Rotor was fine and did not need replaces, opting for new V&H cruisers to be mounted instead. We made some calls from the shop to find the pipes and jet kit in stock, I placed the order, and after convincing myself this thing was worth the $1700 I'm being charged for the whole process, I decided it was worth it and would only be a few days til she comes home.
They had problems pulling the motor. They wasted days to question the Rotor, the "lost" an o ring for the carb that set us back another week, and then.. when I started calling, the guy said "We're having trouble getting her back together"
Well.. I lost my cool. Day 50 had arrived and I was unable to get any definitive answers from my guy, who happened to be the shop owner. So I rousted the beast inside me that I put to sleep in my early 20's. I took the title, some cash, my unhappy attitude, and all 250# of my 6'5" frame up to the shop this past Thursday. I walked in and explained to the owner very calmly that I'd lost my patience and was prepared to be done with being nice. They were either going to set a deadline by which they would have the work done (and stick to it) or they would give me $3,000 cash and I would sign the title over to them. The guy ran me through the hoops of how hard this model is to work on and that there are "good" jobs and "bad" jobs- this one just went sour. He tried to tell me countless times that "it's not like we don't know what we're doing"...save it chief!
Anyway.. by the time I walked out, he knocked a considerable chunk off the labor costs and told me Tuesday (tomorrow, day 55) would be the day. I'm hoping he's accurate because I'll have to either be locked up in a prison or a looney bin otherwise- I'm soooo done with not having my bike!
Makes me want to do what I know is so irresponsible and just go finance a brand new VN2000 or something but I'd like to avoid ruining my family. I just want my bike back- is that really a lot to ask?
Never again! The next time this thing needs a repair, she's going up for sale. I just don't have the heart to loose an entire summer to such things-remember this started in April!!
Hope to be in the wind soon!