A lot of heat under the seat - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

A lot of heat under the seat

I purchased my 2003 VN750 2 weeks ago so I am still going through the nice checklist from this forum. Just got both the fork seals replaced and took for a ride today. I was on the interstate doing about 70. I noticed after a good 15-20 minutes that the seat started to heat up pretty good. I pulled over and checked and moved my hands around the seat to check for some heat source. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. So I took off on the Interstate again. After 5 minutes, the bike was acting like it was out of gas. It was doing the go/stop/go/stop movement. So I took the first exist and was going to hit the first gas station on the way. Well, while on the exit ramp the bike started to speed up without me giving it more throttle. I had to actually decrease the throttle to keep a steady speed. Then before I made it to the access road, throttle control was normal again. When I refueled, I only got 2 gallons of gas in there so I know I wasn't low on gas.

I'm going to put some seafoam in the gas tank for the next 3 refuels and see if there is just some junk in the tank. From what I can see, the gas tank looks nice and clean and rust free. As far as I can see with a flashlight aimed inside the tank. I rode the bike home and then back to work without any throttle problems. Anything else I can check?

Also, is the heat under the seat normal for the VN750? This is really the first day I had to give it a good ride since I bought it. I didn't want to ride with leaking fork seals.

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, I absolutely love this forum. Its helped me get a good understanding of my bike's workings. You guys (and gals) ROCK!

Addon information:
The guy I bought it from did not ride the bike this year. So it might have been just bad gas but not 100% sure.

Last edited by Chavisimo; 09-11-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Yeah, if the same gas has been in there for a year or more, it's not likely to still be good. If there's a next time, drain the old stuff and start with fresh. Fresh gas and SeaFoam are in order. Have you checked the air filters?

The goat's belly, if it's still there, puts out a lot of heat, and there's heat coming off the engine too. The gb is directly underneath the seat. As far as what is "normal" heat, that's kinda subjective. If the temperature gauge doesn't show the engine's running hot, and the seat temperature is bearable, I would chalk it up to Arkansas heat.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 PM

100% with flitecontrol i also notice that on the interstate that the vibration make my butt feel kinda weird lol I know , its kinda like a hot sensation but the seat is normal kinda warm
Does this make since ?? Also youi said you put 2 gallons in did you switch to reserve or just leave it on On ? Becouse if ti was low and sloshing around it would surge like that also Just a thought

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. The engine temp was normal on the temp gauge on the bike. The heat is bearable but was just making sure this is normal. Only 82 degree F out there today so its not tooo hot outside. I forgot to add that the bike did not start right away after refueling. Every time I've tried to start the bike its always started easily. I even tried goosing the throttle a couple of times but not too much where carbs would get flooded and still no go. I pushed the start button and waited 4 seconds and then hit the throttle and the bike started. I turned it off and it started right up with no problems. Maybe bike gremlin at work. I'll take your suggestion and drain all the gas and start with fresh gas and seafoam. The bike is all stock. No aftermarket parts except the saddlebags and windshield and a pouch hanging off the the rear of the passenger seat.

Answer to Blinky's question:
I did not switch to reserve. It was in the ON setting.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
A warm seat is normal due to the catalytic converter/premuffler or "goats belly" located below. The excessive heat is the reason some owners relocated the R/R from under the battery box (directly above the premuffler) to an outside location.

The hesitation you described might be related (i.e., vapor lock), but it sounds like another issue. Also, the reserve is a full gallon, so maybe you were just close to the point of needing the reserve (given that the 2 gallon fillup). Try switching to reserve next time it happens.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Why is it called a "goat's belly"? Just curious.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Ever dissected a goat? Maybe goat's stomach would be more correct.

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Old Truck Junkie

HD is a hog, Vulcan is a goat. lol

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Okay. Looks like I found out the reason for some of the issues i've been having. The bike died at the stop light. Would not turn on. I was able to push it and and pop the clutch to get it home. As soon as I hit the driveway, it died again. I pulled off the seat to have a look at the battery and it was a HUGE MESS. The battery broke where the screw fastens the cable. So I pulled the battery and pulled the battery box and cleaned it up nice. I was checking the internet out for some MF batteries and stumbled on this one that seems cheaply priced. Anyone have any opinions about it?

Link to battery: http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Yes, a good battery. Lance has posted the place where he found the lowest price on them. Might be your link, I'm not sure.

Old Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement