the right saddle bag size - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

the right saddle bag size

I am going to get saddle bags for my bike and am not sure what would be a good size. this is my first bike and don't know what would be the best size. right now I am looking at a set of bags from Rockinleather they are

Large saddlebags with 6" pouch. 15" x 12" x 5"
Large Saddle Bags with Pouch - 1563 (this is the name of the bags on the site)

any help would be great

thanks
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 PM

I am also new.

I am thinking about getting the LeatherLyke bags, because they lock, are removable, and are waterproof. I also like that they come with the relocation kit for the turn signals. I have been in contact with Gus from LeatherLyke. Those bags are 20" long by 12.5" Tall and 9" Deep.

They look good and can fit my Laptop (Gus cut a cardboard template for me and tested that - Nice guy).

Hope that helps.

Travis
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:05 PM

I would say the size really depends on what you need them for. Think about the type of riding you'll be doing. Are you commuting to work? Do you need to fit a laptop? Will you just be going to the store for chapstick and deodorant? Do you plan on sleeping in them? You might want to get water proof no matter what in fact, it'll prolly be tough to find ones that aren't at least water resistant. Do you need ones that lock? Mine don't lock but fit an overnight bag (bathroom stuff, a change of clothes, sandals, and a water bottle fill both) and that seems to be fine for me. Also, don't forget there's always the backpack option if you're not 2 up and if this is your first bike, you shouldn't be 2 up for at least a year...

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 08-19-2009 at 02:11 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Lurker

Hey SSII,

I have LeatherLyke bags on my Sportster and I still like them a lot. They are very sturdy and they hold plenty of stuff (like the 10+ lbs of tools I used to take with me every time I rode it!). They look good on that bike. I do have a few very minor criticisms about them though.

1. They are not 100% water proof. In a very strong and prolonged downpour some water did eventually seep through the lock (mounted on top of the bags) and get a few things inside a little damp. Not a huge deal, but if you're planning on carrying priceless books or photos you may want to put them in a plastic bag inside of the bags. In my case it was just a wet sweatshirt that was on top of all of my other junk.

2. They're a bit pricey for me now. When I bought them about 8 - 9 years ago they were $350, now they're closer to $500. Good bags, but out of my price range.

3. (Very minor complaint) The quick detach system is pretty clever, but it uses cotter pins to hold the LeatherLyke bags on (very securely). I used to keep things inside the bags that I really wanted to keep dry inside of plastic shopping bags. Those plastic bags used to catch on those cotter pins and tear all the time. Not a big deal , but it used to annoy me.

I don't mean to bash LeatherLyke, they make a great product, so let me say some positive things.

1. The bags are very sturdy. Years ago the people at LeatherLyke told me that the bags would out live the bike and I still believe them. If the bike ever tipped over or slid a short distance in an accident I'm sure the contents of the bags would survive and the bike itself would have a good deal of protection.

2. Having locking saddlebags is super convenient. Dealing with bungee nets and tank bags is a real chore when you ride a lot and are constantly storing odds and ends like cameras, hats, sweatshirts and your girl-friend's purse.

3. If you look around the LeatherLyke site you can find matching tour boxes that you can mount to your luggage rack.

4. The hinges are totally hidden in a clever way. Those studs you see on the bag are actually the rivets that hold the piano hinges on.

Something to be aware of is that they will probably cover up the helmet locks on the VN750. Oh, and with a little creativity you can make your own set of hard lockable saddlebags for less money. Just do a search around the forum.

Post pics if you pick up a set!

-Sloppy.

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328

Last edited by Sloppyburpfest; 08-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
It's not how big they are, it is how you use them.

or

Size does matter...the larger ones will likely require you to relocate the rear turn signals....but I would get the biggest ones you can, as :

"It is always better to have too much , then not enough." ...You may want to take a trip someday and need the extra room....so why buy small ones now?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Take a look at this:http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=10&s=prod.php The GA bags are the thickest at 7 1/2 inches, the LN are 6 1/2 inches and the FY are only 5 1/2 Inches. The LN and FY models have extra lights mounted on them. The GA model have no extra lights.

And here they are being mounted. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ht=mutazu+bags

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 AM

once you get saddlebags, you are gonna want LARGER bags.
check out hte saddleman jumbo bags. probably the biggest bags you will be able to get o nthe vn750 other than leatherlykes. they are bigennough for 2 gallons of milk each with room to spare. I like mine, but if you have the money, GET THE LEATHERLYKES!!
just my $.02

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 AM

If you are looking for a good "day bag" for daily commutes or short trips, I picked up a T-Bags Vegas. I mount it over the pillon seat as a backrest, or can swing it around over the rack. At 10" deep, its the perfect size for a backrest. I use it for picking up mail on the way to work, holds a half dozen ears of sweetcorn, and enough luggage for an overnight trip. Also has straps to use as a backpack if you want to take it with you. Kinda pricey, but I really like it.

Dudley

2003 VN 750 "T'Pol"
30k miles
New stator
R/R relocated
Memphis Shades windshield
Custom mirrors
Iridium plugs
Highway pegs
VN750.com radiator cover
Engine guard
Luggage Rack
Jardine slash-cut exhaust
Turn signals relocated
Ram GPS mount
12 volt power outlet
Airhawk II seat cushion
Floor boards
Tank bib
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:18 PM

I saw some LeatherLyke is person today on a 2005 VN750 at Whiteside Motors today. They are nice, but I still am not sold on them. They are not mounted as solidly as I thought.

Options:
Kawi Saddlebag Supports [K53021-094] (relocates signals back)
Then almost any bags could work, including the Matazu bags if I really want locking bags.

Pay the big bucks for the Leatherlyke bags (includes relocating the signals to license plate area).

Still unsure about what I should do.

Travis
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Lurker

In my experience, the LeatherLykes are mounted as solidly as they need to be. Two 1/2" bolts through the upper part of the back side of the bags and they have a hard plastic (nylon?) pad that rests on the rear suspension. Trust me, my Sportster vibrates 1000% more than the VN750 and I have loaded its LeatherLyke bags up with groceries (inducing a gallon of milk and a six pack) and 10+ lbs of tools and they held up superbly.

What put me off using them on my VN750 was the price and that they weren't the look I was going for. The Mutazu bags do not feel as robust and as substantial as the LeatherLykes do and I doubt they'd survive a tip-over as well as the LeatherLykes would. The quick detach feature that the LeatherLykes have will also make getting to your splines and rear tire a lot easier.

If you keep looking around the forums people have also mounted various sizes of Givi bags. They're also out of my budget and not the look for my tastes either. But, they do have a quick detach feature, they are robust, they're mounted as securely as you make your own brackets, and you have a wide selection of bags to chose from one you get the base plates mounted. I think all Givi bags fit on the same plates, so if you have money to burn you can get a small set of bags for commuting and a larger set for touring and quickly swap between them.

The Kawasaki Saddlebag Supports relocate the turn signals back and the helmet locks too. Have a look at the installation instructions for the Kawasaki Saddlebag Supports and you'll see that they use even smaller diameter bolts to hold the bags on.

-Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328
Sponsored Links
Advertisement