How Hot Pt. 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

How Hot Pt. 2

As I mentioned in the "Show Me Your..." thread, I did a bit of an overhaul on my '86's cooling system. I thought it was running like a dream until I worked up the nerve to take her up to highway speed. She didn't like it. Started climbing way too close to the red zone for my liking.

On surface streets she stays right at mid point on the gauge and once I got off the freeway it cooled right back down to around that area.

Thoughts?

Also, my tranny doesn't seem to like to shift into gear when the bike is at a stand still. I don't remember having that problem before.

Thoughts on that as well?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
shifting im thinking your shift pawl might be sticky its right behing the sight glass when u are at a stand still.. im assuming u mean from neutral to first? (how are these shift sequences first to second and second to first) one thing to look at is the clutch adjustments another thing to check is free play (in and out) on your shift shaft? lis then 1/8) inch)

my bike when operating at her best she barly ever warmed up and the fan would kick on when i would shut her down... is she full of fluid ? ther is a lit i like to see her about 1/4 but im ok up to 3/4 if i get caugt in some heavy traffic on a hot day)

there's not much to our cooling systems if its not leakin and has water it should be functioning... there is an impeller that could go out but highly unlikely... is there water in the oil? i noticed that motorcycle oil is tuffer to see water in but the sight window will get pretty foamy.... try a radiator flush with a hose and a couple 5 gal bucketts then get a cooler thermistate i believe its the same thermestate as a metro or something take yours with you maybe run without a thermestate to see if it runs cooler....

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 AM
The Professor

If I rember corectly you have installed the following:

NEW RADIATOR
NEW IMPELLER
MECHAINICAL SEAL AND SHAFT O-RING
NEW COOLANT PIPE O-RINGS
NEW THERMOSTAT

If you are not loosing coolant and temp gauge and sending unit are correct, it could be the high AZ temps. Try using a 70/30 coolant mix, 70% water and 30% coolant. Water will dissipate heat faster than coolant, this mix will run cooler and still provide corrosion/lubrication protection.

It would also be a good Idea given the age of your bike to replace the temperature sending unit. Over time they can and will give false readings but try the coolant first.

As far as the shifting problem, pull the shifter in and out of the case. you should have little play, if you have a lot of play then we cn go from there. Little plat then as seebeeare suggested it could be the shift pawl retaining spring which is fairly simple to correct.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I did notice a bit of clutch drag as well but that seems to have gone away. I didn't have it before. It appeared after a trailer ride to emissions and back, along with the shifting problem.

I'll look into your suggestions and let you know.

I will tell you, waiting in line for emissions, the bike should have been heating up but the gauge stayed at zero until I finally decided to shut it off and wait. It popped back up to about 3/5 when I turned it back on so maybe the sensor is going.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
sensor, wire and or low fluid = faulse readings low water would give a bad reading till u added water so im leaning on sensor or wire...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Also, and this may be stupid so I'm sorry if it is, but you know the KAW bikes won't shift into 2nd or above while you are sitting still and in neutral or 1st, right? Positive neutral finder. You probably knew that...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Alright, back. For some reason my overheating problem seems to have mysteriously disappeared but now I have a new problem. My bike starts "surging" when I get up to speed and try to keep a constant speed. Whether it be surface streets or on the highway, once I stop accelerating it starts bucking. It's like some little elf is flicking my throttle. The fuel line to the rear cylinder was too short and kinked, thanks to the PO installing inline fuel filters, so I'm going to replace that tonight but I was wondering if any of you other folks had any other ideas.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoweroflard View Post
Alright, back. For some reason my overheating problem seems to have mysteriously disappeared but now I have a new problem. My bike starts "surging" when I get up to speed and try to keep a constant speed. Whether it be surface streets or on the highway, once I stop accelerating it starts bucking. It's like some little elf is flicking my throttle. The fuel line to the rear cylinder was too short and kinked, thanks to the PO installing inline fuel filters, so I'm going to replace that tonight but I was wondering if any of you other folks had any other ideas.
I would start with the kinked fuel line, then replace the filters as they could be getting clogged.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

It appears to have been the fuel line. Thanks again everyone.

My bike isn't overheating but it's running a bit hot(usually hits and stays around the middle of the gauge by the little temp. symbol), I'm going to get the cap/system pressure tested this weekend.

EDIT:
I flushed the coolant system a few times. It was pretty nasty but it cleared up. I also did my best to eliminate any bubbles by rocking the bike around. I hadn't done that previously, we'll see tomorrow if this solves anything.

Last edited by thepoweroflard; 08-20-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement