Searching VN750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Searching VN750

when i do a 'Search' on VN750 for a word, i get lots of results that are nothing more than the word showing up in the users Profile Signature.
for example if you search on 'coaster', your results set is everybody that has done a coaster and has it in their Signature.

can we get the search function changed to NOT include the Signature?

96 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
No, what we need is for folks not to list every freaking thing they did or plan on doing to their bike in their sig line.

It has been mentioned before and a few did clean up their sigs, but not enough folks have to make it work.

Most other forums have a rule on how much crap you can stick in your sig...really wish there was one here , mostly for the reason you brought up.

I do know of one member ( robardin ) that cleaverly made his "list" a JPG then posted that, as the software here can not read text in jpg or bitmap files...so the info is still there but it does not get caught up in the search engines intake as it were............

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-09-2009 at 06:33 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Lebanon, NJ

Ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I do know of one member ( robardin ) that cleaverly made his "list" a JPG then posted that, as the software here can not read text in jpg or bitmap files...so the info is still there but it does not get caught up in the search engines intake as it were............

KM
I'll give that whirl...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Lebanon, NJ

Done...

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 AM

Another plus is that with an image, you can more efficiently stack your mods in columns instead of one long column on the left. You have 500 pixels in width to work with and only 100 pixels in height, although it looks like Hiker's image gets by that limit somehow.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:51 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I don't think a search searches for any text in a sig, just the text in the post's themselves. At Least not with the search I just tried.

For quite awhile (the first 4+ years this site has been operational), we weren't able to 'Tag' post's with specific tag words. but now we can. Not sure how many here are aware of that.

So many times people say "Use the search function. That's what it's there for"
Well, once you start getting more and more post's, throughout the entire site, and those posts start getting a little off topic, you're bound to get many results in a search that seem completely irrelevant to what one is looking for.

I usually use the Google search feature, which let's you search just the site you're viewing. Seems to work pretty good, IMO.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i think the search does included the signature..
do a search on 'coaster'...
an example thread it returns is the recent one on "Opinion on Tires"... the word coaster only appears in a bunch of the signatures, not in any of the actual 'text' of the thread.

i think the 'image' in the signature is a good idea...

96 Vulcan 750
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

hyperbuzzin...
in fact.. do a search on "when life starts to" with the quotes.. and it will return only the threads with your signature in it.

96 Vulcan 750
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yes the search will key in on any text that contains the key word, and that includes text in sig lines. (I just did "coastered" and the time you see that exact word in the thread is in someones sig line)

Another option is to save the list as a JPG but don't put it as a sig line , add it to your photos in the gallery, and just leave a link to your photos in your sig line.

I only list my two photo sites, would not be hard to have a "photo" of a list of all my mods.

Hyper wins the prize for having a sig that takes up more room than his replies....lol.

The practice of the giant list in the sig line I think means more to the person who posted it than the others that have to see it every freaking time that person posts....but that is just how I feel as I just don't care what someone else has done to their bike, all that matters is what I have done to mine....lol

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrum View Post
hyperbuzzin...
in fact.. do a search on "when life starts to" with the quotes.. and it will return only the threads with your signature in it.
Actually, that was what I tried when I searched, and even tried just posts by me, as well as a couple other members kinda unique sig line words and all I get is.....

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : to"

I looked to see if there was a setting in the UserCP for this, but didn't see anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Hyper wins the prize for having a sig that takes up more room than his replies....lol.
WOO HOO!! I WIN!!

Quote:
The practice of the giant list in the sig line I think means more to the person who posted it than the others that have to see it every freaking time that person posts....
There may be something DMAG or Dianna can do so a sig only shows on a members first post to a thread, and not in any subsequent ones in that thread

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

Last edited by hyperbuzzin; 08-10-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement