Clymer's and Cliff's Notes - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

Clymer's and Cliff's Notes

Just saw this on eBay this AM. It's new to me anyway, a comprehensive (model year wise) Clymer's manual published in 2006.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BOOK-Clymer-...d=p3286.c0.m14

I have the old Clymer's manual and the Kawi one so I doubt there is anything in this book I don't already have. And what's more I doubt there is anything in this book I can't find on this site.

For instance last night when I was putting in my Iridiums I looked in both books to find the torque spec. Couldn't even find the spark plug section in the Kawi manual. Found it in the Clymer's and was skimming but could NOT find a torque spec mentioned anywhere. By this time I had wasted 15 minutes so I walked in the house, searched this site and had the answer (12 ft/lbs) in 30 seconds...

So my question is this- is Clymer's long for this earth? And how about Cliff's notes? Heck I would go to wikipedia if I was a kid now and didn't get around to reading Wuthering Heights.

I mean you can find answers in a book, but you can't search it nearly as easily. And you can't ask it questions like you can on a forum. The books are nice to have, don't get me wrong. I have the book on every vehicle I own, always. But I use them less and less. And I bet other people, especially younger people, don't even think about a book. They just go straight to the internet I bet.

What do you think?

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I think for doing a quick search, many are more adept at finding stuff online faster than flipping through a book.

However , I find I like to have something written I can refer to while in the middle of a job I am not familar with, which makes a book handy. Yes , you can find the same stuff online, print it and have basicly the same thing, but many times the photos do not come out as clear as the actual book.
(any many of the photos in Clymers are not that good to begin with...lol)

When I did my forks, I printed out the section from my CD copy of the Kaw manual. It took more time than just book marking an actual copy, but worked fine.
The the other nice thing about actual books is you can just sit down and flip through them alot easier than you can online...which would have evened out your race to find the spec you wanted because if you had done this first, you would have known already where to look in the book to find it. (I think all torque specs are listed at the end of the book not by chapter)

But many things will always be quicker to find online mostly because we lack extensive librarys in our homes, and likely could not afford it anyway. But there are always advantages to having the actual book, and advantages to just using online info too.

I doubt books will become obsolete, but with the amount of information available online, their spot as the only source for information has simply changed.

Your owners manual is a small 3X5 book that tucks easily in your toolbox. To carry the same info digitaly would likely mean finding a spot to tuck your laptop.
Writing things down where you can quickly find them will always be faster than waiting for your PC to boot up....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
The Reanimater

I know 12 ft/lbs is not much,

Page 98 (your's could be page 97 or 99) of my Clymer Manual says:

5. Tighten the spark plugs an additional 1/2 turn after the gasket has made contact with the head.
If you are reinstalling old, regapped plugs and are reusing the old gasket, only tighten an additional 1/4 turn.

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded