Missin' my bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Louder IS better!

Missin' my bike

Well my bike is now in the shop waitin for her new stator and r/r. its gonna cost me $620.00 parts and labor but i have no room or time to do it myself so i just had to bite the bullet and get it done, but it should be done by thursday at the latest! Can't wait to get back on the road!

2005 VN750
16,000 Miles

HAVE:
V-Force Windshield
V&H Cruzer Pipes
Luggage Rack
Lo-Jack
Intact Toolbox
Avon Venom Tires
Tour Master Cruiser II Slant Bags
K&N Air Filter
Custom Grill

NEED(want)
Engine Guard
16" Ape Hangers
Forward Controls
New Grips
New Mirrors
Driver Backrest
Passenger Backrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:07 PM

I know the feeling. My problem is the money, but I hope to get my stator in today(gasket pending). But even with the problem, I was able to go short trips on it and get used to it (been 30+ years since I was in the wind) so any time in the saddle is worth it.

Keep us posted bro

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
I feel the pain! My stator died in April and I was hoping to have the time to do it myself. It was about 2 weeks ago that I put her in the shop.. Hope to have her back next weekend while there is still some riding time left!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:37 PM

Did it just die or did you notice it wasn't charging when the stator went bad?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
A little of both. I stopped for gas and it wouldn't start up again. Got a jump, got it home, then a few days later she fired right up but only got me down the block. I did some manual testing before the depression got me! I have to have her back!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Feel It!

I sure know the feelin!

Twice it happened to me--sitting along side a country road--before I finally got a stator that was put together right, and voltage meter and a good Yuasa service-free battery and wired the RR up right.

When you get it back from the shop, take the time to stick that RR unit up front where the wind can get to it!!! However you can wire it and rig it up, do it!

I spliced in larger gauge wires so they don't heat up and overload the stator.
Another thing I did was to put an oil cooler on my bike. Since the oil is what keeps the stator cooled, extra hot oil on an extra hot day sitting in traffic just sets you up for another burnt stator.

And if you leave that RR unit under the battery, you'll burn it up, along with the stator.

The oil cooler?
Somebody might want to know, so I'll make it brief...
A small Jagg cooler mounted on the "engine guard" (or whatever that silly pipe thing is that I bought for a hundred dollars a few years ago).
Of course I had to have an adapter to hook the cooler hoses up to, so I ordered one that fits a Harley. Then I had a machine shop guy make a little thin plate out of stainless steel to adapt from the Kawi oil filter mount to the Harley-type oil cooler adapter. (A bit over $200 for the plate.) Been running it for a year now and seems to be just fine.

Anyway, get that RR out of the heat. Get it up front. (I had mine on the side for awhile, but it still stayed pretty hot there.)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 PM

I really appreciate the input on moving the R/R.. I'll take that into serious consideration! Up front sounds like a good idea, but I don't have the engine guard and was considering buying one of the fabricated peg bracket options from the members here, so that might limit my mounting options! To be honest, I just put $1600 worth of work into a bike I paid $1500 for. The next thing that breaks will be motivation to junk it and go buy a brand new 2000- I've been looking for an excuse the wife will buy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement