Hard Starting? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is your bike hard starting?
YES, CA (evaporative emmisions) model 8 6.84%
NO, CA model 3 2.56%
YES, General US model 34 29.06%
NO, General US model 72 61.54%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Hard Starting?

I'm curious as to how many people who have CA bikes have hard starting problems? I read in the manual that if you overfill the gas tank, it could cause hard starting problems. The manual didn't state exactly how to fix the problem should you have overfilled your tank. I'm afraid to say that I've probably overfilled my tank both times I refilled it, not knowing any better.

So, if you overfill the tank, does the hard starting just go away? Or do you have to do anything?

Also, I created a little poll. Please note, I'm only considering "hard starting" to be for people who have a working starter, and what not, just a really hard to start bike (i.e. lot of cranking) especially when warm. If you know for a fact that your problem is related to something else, could you share that too?

Last edited by InsuredDisaster; 01-26-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Guess I should ask the obvious..
Do you have a Maintance Free AGM battery like the Westco?

If not, that's likely half your problem.

now...are you asking about hard starting when the engine is hot, cold, or both?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Hot, no battery. Ordering one today though. Do you guys recommend the charger too, or will the 2 amp unit I've had for a while do?

Ben

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I got the Battery Tender myself...but never use it. I usualy get a good ride in once a week (so far) and MF batteries just do not loose a charge like wet cells...the few times I hookied it up to the charger it took less than 3 minutes to go on "standby"..
If you feel you need a charger I would get the Battery Tender , or one of the others that has battery moniter circuitry. This alters the voltage to match the condition of the battery...the old style trickle chargers do not.

You also may want to turn your airscrews out some, and install the iridium spark plugs. All my hot starting problems disappeared after installing the MF battery................

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:53 AM

Even with the wet cell batteries the wifes and my 750 did not have a hard start problem. I did however recently switch both batteries to MF batteries after reading alot of helpful information here. I voted no on a non CA model.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your tips. I'll probably try the newer sealed battery first, and be more careful about the tank level. If that works, then I'll be a happy camper.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Dan

I have a stock battery and keep the 1.25 amp BatteryTender on it. With full choke, no throttle, the engine starts instantly. With a hot engine I crack the throttle very slightly and it starts right up. I have never had a starting problem. I don't know why overfilling the fuel tank should effect starting(?)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Manual stated it would. I just figured that might be part of the problem. I used to have a decidedly low tech, and non environmentally friendly two stroke moped There was a single fuel line out, and a vent in the cap. All this new fangled emissions stuff is confusing.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 PM

Dan,

When starting your hot bike, do you use the choke with a bit of throttle, or close the choke an give a quick blip of throttle?
I'm starting to get a bit of a handle on the hot start that I experienced last season. I believe the m/f battery is helping.
Rick
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Dan

Hi Rick,
When I start the bike hot, I use no choke at all. I just crack the throttle a little tiny bit and hold it there while I hit the starter button. Maybe the ambient temperature has something to do with it. I live in Seattle where it is not very cold.
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement