2600 miles! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

2600 miles!

Hi! Newbie here. I just did a 2600 mile trip on my 93 Vulcan 750: Boston to Nova Scotia and back!

There were a couple of minor snags during the trip. Once after an extended ride in rain, the cylinders misfired but eventually the bike fired on all cylinders. I didn't do anything special. Just rode her at low speed for a couple of miles. The second issue was the speedometer cable coming undone near the wheel after a long ride on some rough roads between Canso and Sheet Harbour in NS. That was a simple enough fix.

The stock seat was a killer after about 90 miles or so. Other than that, the 17 year old Vulcan performed superbly in our trip!! Plenty of power available even at top speeds. And very solid too!

A little background:

I bought the bike used in 2003. Back then it felt heavy and awkward. The engine also often stalled at idle. Plus I couldn't always get it to start...kept flooding the engine. So after putting about a 100 miles, I put the bike in storage and didn't take it out until 2 months ago. This time the bike was much easier to handle since I have put on about 30 Lbs.

Trip preparation:

I took it to a mechanic referred to my buddy. The mechanic cleaned out the fuel tank, took care of the carbs and showed me the proper way to start the bike (the Clymer manual is awesome and shows you how to properly start the bike as well). I rode her for about 150 miles and still had the engine stalling and hot start issues. So the mechanic relocated the rectifier/regulator, as recommended in the awesome VN750 forums, and said that there was nothing else wrong with the bike. And he was right.

See, I was riding the bike like I drove my car. With my Nissan Maxima, I would go to top gear as soon as I was on level ground and even though I might be doing only 30 miles an hour. My mechanic told me that the bike is a high RPM machine and I can't use it like I do my car. He said I should be maintaining between 4000 and 5000 RPMs once I get out of 1st gear and that I could ride at 40 miles an hour in only 2nd or 3rd gear. Once I started doing like he said, not only did the bike handle and respond really crisply but the engine stopped dying at idle as well.

As for the hot start issue, my mechanic told me that since its an old bike, I can't expect to just press the starter button and have the engine run. He asked me to open the throttle a little bit and then press the starter button. Sure enough. She starts fine every time even in very hot conditions!

Additional equipment:

I got Tourmaster Cruiser II Saddlebags. I didn't have to relocate the direction indicators. The saddlebags did their job.

The Kuryakyn GranCruise tank bag was okay. The main zippers failed after the first two days of use. I used the rain cover on it after to prevent stuff from falling through.

Memphis Shades Hell Cat Windshield: Great value for the money! I am exceptionally pleased with this windshield. So easy to setup, it also caught all the bugs and kept the wind blast out. When visibility was low as during a drizzle, I just sat up a bit straighter -- I am 5'7" -- so that my nose was slightly above the windshield allowing me to see clearly but still not enough to get hit by wind blast. Cleaned it off bugs with two swipes at a couple of gas stations. Sleek and stylish!

Seafoam or B-12:

My mechanic advised that I use Berryman's B-12 instead of Seafoam as the B-12 completely dissolves crud as well as works better with the fuel sold in the New England area. I have not tried running the fuel additive yet. Will post here after trying the B-12 out...

Last edited by getgopi1; 08-03-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Newb with a Bullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgopi1 View Post
the proper way to start the bike (the Clymer manual is awesome and shows you how to properly start the bike as well).
What is this special/correct/secret way to start the bike? I don't recall hearing of this before!

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Welcome getgopi1, seems like you've got the bull by the horns... Glad your mechanic was able to get things going for you, just hang in here with these good folks and you will be fine...
BTW-2600 mi., now thats a darn good trip on the VN750 especially with the stock seat...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 08-03-2009 at 02:39 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Old Dog (?):

Thank you!! Yes, I am lucky to have found a mechanic who knows his stuff

krebsne:

I am pretty sure that when I first bought the bike, it hadn't been used in a long while. I would just press the starter button and expect the engine to start. I would also run down the battery attempting to start the bike. Plus I remember fiddling with the idle adjustment too often. And whatever I was doing before would eventually flood the engine. Then I would remove the spark plugs from their sockets and pump the fuel out by hitting the starter.

My mechanic said that I should open up the throttle as soon as the engine seemed to turn over. Then rev the engine for a bit. Essentially he asked that I not be timid with the startup process.

The Clymer manual showed a much simpler way to start a flooded engine: Simply keep the Run switch in the off position and attempt to "start" the bike. If I remember right, the manual had a total of six pages dedicated to starting the engine under various conditions: cold starting, flooded engine, etc.

These days the engine starts off fine right away. And I don't even have to rev or anything. I guess it all comes down to riding the bike...and keeping on riding!

Last edited by getgopi1; 08-03-2009 at 02:43 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 PM

Sounds like a nice trip man. I'll say it before everyone else: got pics? Maybe of your VN750 and some of the trip?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

I have attached one picture my friend took using his cellphone during a ferry crossing near Deer Island...shortly after we left Lubec, Maine behind

The rest of the photos are on his camera. I will post a few once he makes them available. We only got back two days ago.

On a side note...mileage:

Before the trip I used up close to about 3 tanks of gas and got about 30 miles to the gallon. At the end of the trip, I was getting about 48 miles to the gallon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MeBike.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	2170  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Goes to show you that a bike needs to be ridden! What a cool trip. I use the chemtool B12 when I have carbs apart to clean them. It does a nice job on that, but as far as adding to the gas, I have always used Seafoam. It does a good job of cleaning and keeping things clean, along with being a first rate fuel stabilizer to keep your ride ready for you while you leave it sitting for a while. It's just my opinion, but have no fear of using seafoam. Case in point, I've never had the carbs off my 750 in 3+ years and have religiously used seafoam about 3 oz, about every three or four tank fulls of gas.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Ba dum dum, ching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krebsne View Post
What is this special/correct/secret way to start the bike? I don't recall hearing of this before!
Dance around the bike in a counterclockwise direction while chanting OH-Waa TaGoo Siam. Then sit on the pasenger seat with both feet perched on the engine guard and hit the starter while screaming the lyrics to any ELO song.

At least that's what I do and it seems to work.

R

Yes, it's my mid-life crisis.

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_G View Post
Dance around the bike in a counterclockwise direction while chanting OH-Waa TaGoo Siam. Then sit on the pasenger seat with both feet perched on the engine guard and hit the starter while screaming the lyrics to any ELO song.

R
Yeah, and your iridium plugs and AGM battery don't hurt either!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Newb with a Bullet!

Man that's the way I sharpen pencils! Who knew it was so versatile!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_G View Post

R

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement