Pretty impressed with the power - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Pretty impressed with the power

of the VN750. Grant it, I have ridden much more powerful motorcycles, but I was surprised with this stock bike. What is very noticeable is the smooth power delivery. Anyone have a power curve chart? Would like to see this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM

Give it a shave, K&N's, HD pipes, drill the carb and tweak the jets and then you will have some power my son.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Newb with a Bullet!

I always tell people when my VN is running I can put my stomache to car lengths behind me at any time!

I've test ridden several bikes lately and nothing in it's class has the acceleration of the VN750. Even stock. Check the Viragos, the Shadows, the Savages, whatever.

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Straight roads are evil

For a cruiser, it's got a lot of power. Other classes of bikes have much more, of course. Rode a friend's CBR 600 sportsbike last week, WOW! Just looked at the throttle and it rocketed to 120+ (um, I mean, the speed limit) in seconds.

What we've got is a lot of low end torque. We can power out of a tight turn faster than the sportsbikes, whose power is all on the top end. Plus, we can be comfortable for 12 hour rides, can't do that on a sprotsbile.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack650 View Post
Give it a shave, K&N's, HD pipes, drill the carb and tweak the jets and then you will have some power my son.

DT

I read one post that said Sportster pipes bolt right on. Is this true??? I love the sound of a Sportster. I just installed K&N's. Do you mean drill the slides out?? What jets would I need?? What kind of hp after these mods??

Last edited by Slip; 08-02-2009 at 01:19 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQPlayer View Post
. We can power out of a tight turn faster than the sportsbikes, whose power is all on the top end. .......

Uh, I don't think so. A "sport bike" would leave you stranded in a turn. Because if they know how to ride the thing they would have entered the turn in their powerband and blasted out of there before you even got the throttle open.

The advantage of low end torque just means the bike does NOT have to wound out to make usable power, you can pull small trees out of the ground without spinning your tires..... You can climb up a steep grade at a lower rpm...but V-twins do not rev as quickly as say a inline four, so getting on the gas coming out of turn the sport bike will still have an advantage.

The key point to why the Vulcan does well against other cruisers is it's light weight, that it has duel carbs, and better gearing. Many other crusiers are geared low , so they have even a harder time reving quickly under a load, but do run lower rpms for a given speed...which some like better.

They may not be as fast, but can still have high torque figures. Being able to beat out another bike by one second in the 1/4 mile really is meaningless unless that is all you want out of your bike. The Vulcan starts to burn fuel alot faster once you get over 65mph than some of the bigger and slower bikes. It all is a comprimise as to what you want out of the bike.

But there is no way the Vulcan is faster out of turn than a simularly displaced sport bike. I mean, that is what they are designed to do for heavens sake...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-02-2009 at 01:49 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Newb with a Bullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip View Post
I read one post that said Sportster pipes bolt right on. Is this true??? I love the sound of a Sportster. I just installed K&N's. Do you mean drill the slides out?? What jets would I need?? What kind of hp after these mods??
Some sporster tips will bolt on, or do so with minimal adaptation (joiner piece, sealing putty or tape, etc). But not the entire pipes themselves. I have a set sitting in my garage I got for $20 waiting for a chance to try! -)

You installed K&N airfilters? The ones that go in the stock earpods? I don't think you have to re-jet for those. They are basically just a more expensive (and some say not even better) version of the stock filtration system. Doesn't pass any more air as it is the restrictive airbox that actually limits that, not the filters.

Not sure what you're asking about drilling. Some people drill the baffles in their stock mufflers for a louder, more V-twin sound. Mine it turns out came completely reamed, so I've never had any mufflers. But you can find lots of threads about it.

So if you just changed to the K&N airbox filter and have messed with the stock exhaust some you should not need to rejet. Rejetting only really comes into play when you earshave- take off the stock earpods and airbox and mount your filters directly on to the carbs. Then you need bigger jets.

But for exhaust mods, no. It does not affect the jetting.

Don't know about the HP. Never had mine on a dyno or anything, I can just tell you that after earshaving she's a mean little s*cker!!!

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 PM

i know of 1 bike in our class that can out run us.
Honda Magna 750.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
to KM, Slip was asking about Harley Davidson Sportster Pipes on his bike, not sprotsbike muflfers and pipes
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM

I'm away from my VN at this time but will post picts next week.

Sportster XL mufflers slide on the goat to extend the pipes to the rear wheel - very nice to lower the exhaust note away from our helmets making the ride more comfortable. I have mine level with the road, no upswing like our stock tips to keep the heat away from my saddle bags (a problem with stock tips heating up the bags).

My goat is drilled completely but the sportster mufflers lower the sound level nicely while adding a deeper sound. My brother said, while riding next to me on a quiet, stock Triumph, "The sound is mellow, not harsh like my glass packs were. Deceleration is a deep rumble w/o popping".

For those of you that have only a slightly drilled goat or H pipe, Dyna or Sportster mufflers are a good economical choice to the high priced after market pipes.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse