Will I ever not have to work on my bike? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Will I ever not have to work on my bike?

I am almost done with a complete rebuild on my motor. I just have to get the pesky carb in. I just want to know if I will ever get to stop working on my bike and just ride it? It seems like so many people are continually working on their bikes. Is this just part of owning a motor bike? Or is is just these bikes. I owned a 1975 Yamaha DT 400 enduro before this bike and I only ever did routine maintenance on it and and it started on the first kick almost every time. Sometime I regret selling that thing. I just hope I can finally enjoy my bike without turning a wrench for a while. Someone please offer me some hope. I will admit I couldn't have done it without all of you. Thanks to each of you.

Chainsaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Once you get her going, it may take a few tweaks here and there, but then she should be good to go. Of course, that means doing a pre-ride check as a habit and giving the bike a once-over regularly (checking all wiring connections, making sure there's no corrosion starting up anywhere, checking hoses, etc., etc., etc.). A lot of folks end up on this site because they've purchased a bike that has "issues"- so the threads here aren't necessarily representative of how this little gem of a motorcycle actually performs.

C
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 AM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Ditto what she said! These bikes are the Checker Marathon of motorcycles! Mine sat for 10 years and after doing the carbs and brakes, I was on the road and put over 3,200 miles on it with only an oil change and tires. The other work I did was because I wanted to not because I had to. So have faith, get the bike running and it will give you great service.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Newb with a Bullet!

That's good to hear because I'm starting to feel the same way about my ride! I keep hoping, however! And I'm learning a lot along the way and have found I enjoy "wrenching" as much as "riding". Although too much of prior and not enough of the latter is an undesirable ratio!

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Hang in there, Fellow Vulcaneer.......!!!

It's usually darkest right b4 the dawn, as they say.

If your bike is one that has been thru at least 2-3 different owners, and has sat for a while, unloved and/or unused, it can easily develop problems...and subsequent owners end up paying the price for this neglect.

After you take the advice already given above, to save yourself even more headaches, later...be sure to:

a) Inspect the rear driveshaft splines, for proper lubrication. If they are dry, or underlubed, they can obviously wear off....leaving you on foot, and heaven only knows where......! Many threads here explain/discuss how to fix this (if you haven't already).

b) Relocated your bike's regulator/rectifier ("r/r" in most threads). This "upgrade" will help extend its service life.

c) If you haven't already, install a maintenance-free, AGM battery on your bike. Besides better starting performance, a sealed battery doesn't have to have fluids checked (read: seat removed) or added at least twice a month.

d) Especially if your bike is an older one, or one that has sat out in the elements, clean your bikes main electrical connectors (e.g., at the regulator/rectifier) with a good electronic contact cleaner that's also labelled as safe for plastics! Then pack said connectors (and keep them packed) with dielectric grease.

e) For much better peace of mind, especially while on longer rides, install "Ride On" tire sealant in your bike's tires (unless they are near their replacement). This sealant does an amazing job of keeping a tire sealed and from going flat, due to things like a nail or drywall screw puncture. As a backup, keep a tire repair kit on board your bike (and know how to use this kit, b4 you need it!).

f) Install a voltmeter (preferably one that's designed for motorcycle duty) to monitor your bike's charging system. This can later save you from being on foot--without warning....

g) Do a thread search for the "phantom gas syndrome"...and know what causes this.....and how to handle it.

h) Especially if you store your bike exposed to the elements at all, be sure to get a good cover for it--and use the cover, religiously. Your baby is a great machine--but she will rust, if not covered and polished properly. Of course, a rusty bike is an ugly bike. REAAA-LY ugly.

Much of the above is good practice in general, and not just on our bike. Your initial investment with this above "check list" will save you a lot of hassle and frustration later on, and keep you riding instead of unexpectedly wrenching. Again--many threads exist on this forum for most of the above--so you can be educated on the subject, if you're not already.

After you get the "kinks" out of your VN750, you will find that it is a fun machine, with quite a lot of info, support and camraderie from this forum as a huuuuuuuuuuge bonus! It is the last bike of its kind--and thus is truly unique (not a Harley wanna-be) in the motorcycling world. Ride your VN750 with pride.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 08-02-2009 at 07:27 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM

Chainsaw, welcome to this wonderful group.

I bought mine in 2006, she was 3 years old. An acquaintance bought her new in 2003 and rode for a year then moved on to 2 Harleys. For 2 years prior to me she sat in a garage without use. Beside a minor problem in the rear hub stemming from a bad gasket or use of the wrong gear lube there have been no problems at all. Now I have never owned a vehicle, car or bike that I haven't tinkered with. As you can see in the signature I have added and changed the things that I like but otherwise this is a great machine. If you're doing the rebuild correctly and follow good mechanical practice with this bike, opening your toolbox is going to be your option.

This is a good high performance machine, ride safely and enjoy.

Gemguy

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 AM

You don't want to labeled a poser do you?

;-)

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Straight roads are evil

Motorcycles need more maintenance than cars, it's a fact of life. If you keep the bike maintained, it'll run long and hard. I've got about 42K in just three years on the bike (original owner).

Would post more but it's time to go ride a few hundred more miles of twisty roads. Gear up, let's ride!

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
I am almost done with a complete rebuild on my motor. I just have to get the pesky carb in. I just want to know if I will ever get to stop working on my bike and just ride it? It seems like so many people are continually working on their bikes. Is this just part of owning a motor bike? Or is is just these bikes. I owned a 1975 Yamaha DT 400 enduro before this bike and I only ever did routine maintenance on it and and it started on the first kick almost every time. Sometime I regret selling that thing. I just hope I can finally enjoy my bike without turning a wrench for a while. Someone please offer me some hope. I will admit I couldn't have done it without all of you. Thanks to each of you.
I felt the same way a few months after buying my bike too, but like has been mentioned, years of neglect and/or questionable repair skills by PO's takes a toll. My first few months of ownership I worked on it alot more than I ride it, and now this spring and summer I've ridden it a whole lot more than wrenched on it.

You can get to the point where you'll only do normal maintenance or the occasional fix, and once these bikes are sorted out, they're pretty nice to be out riding around on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 AM

I've had mine for about 2 years and can tell the PO did a good job maintaining it. Its a 93 with 16k on the clock and needed nothing but usual maintenance. I ride to work most days which is 70 miles round trip and usually put about 200 on her on the weekends. When properly maintained, rebuilt or not, these things run their asses off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement