Oil for motorcycles - Interesting read - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Oil for motorcycles - Interesting read

For the record, I'm not affiliated with any of this. I'z just reading to find a good oil to protect my engine. Just thought I'd share. It's an interesting read. I have been considering running Royal Purple oil in my VN750. It didn't fair so well in some of these tests.

Supposedly the tests were run by an independent "unbiased" lab.

I was amazed how much some oils foam! Foam is bad, bad. Also they tested the oils at 250 degrees for 60 minutes. It's amazing how much "lighter" components of oils will evaporate. Maybe that's where my missing oil goes..... out the pipe!

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Ok, so Amsoil "performed" the best. Why do I need the best "performing" oil if I'm not racing?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM

I read another" unbiased " report where Amsoil did poorly. . If you change your engine oil every 3,000 miles or so, you can run pretty much any "decent" oil. I've never had an engine failure...

57 years experience,Zero accidents. Starting with 1947 Indian Chief. Now VN750 , V65 Magna, Burgman scooter.

Last edited by waggy1236; 07-29-2009 at 09:59 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Old Fart

Garage
yeah, sorry, but it is an "unbiased" test paid for and posted by Amsoil. Am not saying Amsoil is not a good oil, but it is obvious that the it is biased towards Amsoil, true independant tests I have seen rank Amsoil several spots down, and rank Mobil One the best thing going.

With the hopes of this not turning into another oil thread...gasp!

I would again point out that most oils that are reccommeded for motorcycles do the job needed very well. If you buy regular "dino" oil that has a SG or higher rating and use the proper weight, the only real thing that matters is how often you change the oil in response to the type of use/abuse the motor gets.

I change my oil (and filter!) every 3000 miles and use the highly reccomended (and cheap) Shell Rottella T (the regular oil not the synthetic)

I rarely get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, and all my trips tend to be over 10 miles. This makes my schedual a abit conservative, I likely could go another 1000+ miles before doing a change.

As long as you avoid any oil with the "energy conserving" icon on it, you can pretty much use whatever brand you want to (rated SG/SJ) and get decent protection. If your bike is subjected to alot of heat , either from location or riding habits, you might want to look into synthetic oils.

Many "specialty" motorcycle oils are over-rated, and the cost for them is inflated.

Everyone seems to have a favorite and I hope not to see list here, but they are all good. Spend less time worrying and more time riding and don't believe everyything you read................

And you do not have to be racing to need "a good performing oil" . If you are hard on the motor it likely could use the help....

Some good reading here too:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 07-29-2009 at 07:37 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It's interesting to note that this study did not include anything but motorcycle specific oils (unless I missed something somewhere). In another test of oils, including MC and automotive oils, both dino and synthetic, most of the MC specific oils did not outperform the automotive oils. IIRC, Mobil 1 synthetic (automotive) was near the top in most of the categories tested.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:30 PM

I basically change my oil every 1500 miles so I don't waste money on expensive oil.

1996 Vulcan 750
1980 XJ650 Maxim
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 AM

I have a friend who used to live in Minnesota and he always said that Amsoil is the best. He used it on his Volusia and after a bit it started to burn the oil. I tried the mobil I on my 750 and it caused me all kinds of issues. I think it loosened up all of the gunk in the bike and sent it elsewhere. After returning to regular dino oil it took about 2,000 miles to settle the engine down so that it sounds like it should instead of clinking and rattling. Just use decent quality and frequent changes and you should be OK.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 AM

Instead of paying for independent testing to influence my purchase decision, a company that makes a synthetic oil would be more likely to earn my business if they were simply cheaper than their competitors.

The Dyson vacuums are similarly perplexing to me right now, as I need a new vacuum. If Dyson were truly as good performing and low maintenance as they claim to be, why wouldn't they simply drop the price by $150 and take 50+% of the vacuum market rather than make 30% more per sale and hold 15% of the total market?

Advertising is not your friend.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM

ive been using castol GTX car oil 10w40 ever since i owned the bike. it works great.
i also use car filters which also works great. quit paying more for lesser quality oil and filters.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achang1 View Post
ive been using castol GTX car oil 10w40 ever since i owned the bike. it works great.
i also use car filters which also works great. quit paying more for lesser quality oil and filters.
what car filter are you useing?.. from Walmart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement