What would you check before a 1700 mile ride? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Intelligent Redneck

What would you check before a 1700 mile ride?

I'm leaving Saturday morning riding my 2001 VN750 with 21,500 miles on it as of now. It is my daily commuter that I have put 7000 miles on since February and consider it very reliable with no known problems.

Just changed the oil with synthetic 10W40 valvoline motorcycle oil & a Wix oil filter.

Front tire is new with about 500 miles, rear tire was new when I bought the bike this spring (7000 miles ago) but has plenty of tread left.

Coolant and rear differential are both at the proper levels too. No overheating issues in 90 degree stop and go traffic.

I've gone over the bike looking for loose bolts and replaced one that was missing that held the rear fender in place.

Anything else you would check?

I also picked up a tank bag with a map pouch for the trip... I still need to add a power outlet for charging my cell phone and modify the highway bars to be comfortable for my long legs before I go too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
check the chaging system... other then that is sounds like your ready to go ... make sure to grsb s hsnd full of tools just in case and include elec tape duct tape and zip ties....you should be good i wouldnt stess it u should be good to go you will know when t6hings start to act up esp with that much time under your belt this season... where u headin to?

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Intelligent Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebeeare View Post
check the chaging system... other then that is sounds like your ready to go ... make sure to grsb s hsnd full of tools just in case and include elec tape duct tape and zip ties....you should be good i wouldnt stess it u should be good to go you will know when t6hings start to act up esp with that much time under your belt this season... where u headin to?
I am heading to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for my daughters surgery. It is just going to be cheaper to ride my bike out than to fly and rent a car. Plus I know the roads and won't mind the scenery.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Drive less, ride more...

You might find some info inside the following AMA weblink that may be of help b4 you leave for your trip:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadrid...resc/index.asp

I'm assuming that you've had the driveshaft splines checked at some point--given the number of threads on this website about this subject. If they are dry, and you leave home on a trip of that length, you could be on foot b4 you get back.

On a trip of that length, on a used Vulcan 750. with 21k+ miles, I wouldn't think of leaving without some way of monitoring the health of the charging system (i.e., a mounted, water-resistant, shock-resistant voltmeter).

How do you brakes look? Front pads look ok for a while longer? The rear should be holding up ok, most likely....

How long ago were your clutch, throttle and brake cables lubed/serviced?

The stats show that the most likely thing in your electrical system to fail is the BATTERY. Have you had the battery tested--if it is more than 2 years old?

You've been made aware of the "phantom gas syndrome" I gather, so you should know what to do if that happens, too.

In case you weren't already aware, you have power leads in your headlamp bucket that can be used as a power tap to power/charge your cell phone...

On the way back, I'm hoping you can take some pix to show of the Beartooth Hwy, and some of the Black Hills around Sturgis (e.g., Mt Rushmore). If not, you'll miss some of the finest riding in the lower 48...

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM

dont forget the vice grips. i actually used them as a shifter once to get me home. small compressor and plugs may come in handy. spare key
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Intelligent Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
You've been made aware of the "phantom gas syndrome" I gather, so you should know what to do if that happens, too.
I think I have experienced this once... acted like the bike ran out of gas when it was still half full? I haven't seen this discussed on here yet though. When it happened to me, I just happened to be rolling down hill towards a gas station. So, I stopped and filled up (took less than a gallon). It started back up with the choke on and never did it again.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Intelligent Redneck

Quote:
I'm assuming that you've had the driveshaft splines checked at some point
That is actually one more thing I need to double check before I go.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Intelligent Redneck

I have a complete 1/4 & 3/8 socket set (SAE & Metric), metric wrench set, metric allen wrench set, screwdrivers, and tire plug kit in my saddle bags at all times.

I should add in tape, pliers, vise grips, a new tire plug kit & a can of air to reinflate for this trip.

Last edited by kennyw; 07-15-2009 at 04:22 PM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Intelligent Redneck

Quote:
On the way back, I'm hoping you can take some pix to show of the Beartooth Hwy, and some of the Black Hills around Sturgis (e.g., Mt Rushmore). If not, you'll miss some of the finest riding in the lower 48...
On the way back I plan a more scenic route than I have time for on the way there.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:30 PM
The Reanimater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyw View Post
I'm leaving Saturday morning riding my 2001 VN750 with 21,500 miles on it as of now. It is my daily commuter that I have put 7000 miles on since February and consider it very reliable with no known problems.

Just changed the oil with synthetic 10W40 valvoline motorcycle oil & a Wix oil filter.

Front tire is new with about 500 miles, rear tire was new when I bought the bike this spring (7000 miles ago) but has plenty of tread left.

Coolant and rear differential are both at the proper levels too. No overheating issues in 90 degree stop and go traffic.

I've gone over the bike looking for loose bolts and replaced one that was missing that held the rear fender in place.

Anything else you would check?

I also picked up a tank bag with a map pouch for the trip... I still need to add a power outlet for charging my cell phone and modify the highway bars to be comfortable for my long legs before I go too.

You might what to make sure there is a places along your route that rents out a Truck just in case you run into any Bike Problems.
I don't know how fast you have to get there but if you don't have time to wait around to fix any problems........

Also you might want to carry a couple of cans of Fix-a-Flat, Just in case your in between Towns.

A foot or two of Gas line that can also be used as a Vacuum line.

Carry plenty of Drinking Water, That way you can also use it on your bike if needed.

Plenty of Quick Snacks like Jerky, Nuts, Engery Bars, Banans Chips.........Etc.

I would also carry a few of those Silver looking Blankets so if I got stuck out some place I could use them to keep warm or make a Shelter to sit under out of the sun til help arrived.

Good Luck

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest

Last edited by jthill524; 07-15-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement