Getting a title - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Getting a title

I posted awhile back about a bike that my current vn's PO had that she offered me at a very good price but I didn't have the extra cash at the time to get them both. Its a 92 vn750 that is supposed to run its in very decent shape, pretty much the same as the one I already bought from her except it has around 27k miles where as mine only had 11k when I bought it. Well i almost missed out on the deal because one of her neighbors knows a guy the buys bikes with the v-twins in them for making custom choppers and he was willing to giver her a lot more that what she wanted from me for it. Well the issue that kept him from getting it and what made me postpone getting it myself is the lack of an open title.
The bike belonged to her husband who she as of April is now divorced from. The ruling of the court was anything in their possessions was what they got from the split. She had both bikes so technically she owns his bike now. He left it with her being he must have no longer wanted it. He had pulled the oil drain plug one day when she wasn't there and let the oil run down their driveway, so I'm assuming that is him not really caring about the bike anymore. Either way the guy that was gonna pay her more got with his business lawyer who said it would be 300 dollars for him to get the title for the bike, but he wanted her to pay it so not only was she gonna have to go thru the headache of dealing with someone elses lawyer but she was gonna have to pay him. The whole reason she wasn't able to get the title in the first place is the DMV told her that her divorce papers weren't worded to their liking. She told me that her papers list the bikes but they don't say word for word we award the bike to you. Her divorce lawyer told her it would be another 700 if he had to go back to court to get her divorce papers reworded. Either way I paid her this past week for the bike I haven't gone to get the bike yet because I was hoping I could figure out a way to get a title before I bothered bringing it home.

I tell you guys this not only to say I now own 2 vn750s but also I was hoping maybe someone has had to deal with getting a title under similar circumstances, or knows of someone that has and could give me some advise on how I could go about titling the bike. I haven't tried it yet but I figured I might be able to get her to write me up a solid bill of sale and try going to the DMV with her to see what they can do for me. I know that I have heard the mechanics have been able to get titles for vehicles that where left with them because the people that dropped them off couldn't pay, thought maybe if I could find a loop hole like that it would help me save a perfectly good bike from being no more than a parts bike. It would be nice to have a second bike to ride for when one is in mid repair, and so I could maybe get my brother talked into getting his license and riding with me.

Either way any advise or thoughts would be a big help thanks guys.

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <To Be Named Later>
Purchased Used on 05/09/2009
11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
New Shinko 230 Tour Masters
110/90/19 Front 150/90/15 Back
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <Parts Bike>

Last edited by Authority84; 07-09-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 PM
The Reanimater

If worse comes to worse find a cheap frame with the pink on it.
Move everything from the one bike to the new frame.

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You should be able to apply for title by taking the Vin # with you and going to your DMV and simply saying you bought the bike but the title was lost.

They will of course do a check and see if the name on the SALES SLIP you have from the woman matches the name on their copy of the current title. But you don't have to provide anything other than the Vin and a sales reciept.

Now that is how most states that I am familar with work, but I have no idea if Florida? works it the same way. You will have to pay for the "lost title" but it should only be a few bucks.

Get the bike before someone changes their mind............

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You should be able to apply for title by taking the Vin # with you and going to your DMV and simply saying you bought the bike but the title was lost.

They will of course do a check and see if the name on the SALES SLIP you have from the woman matches the name on their copy of the current title. But you don't have to provide anything other than the Vin and a sales reciept.

Now that is how most states that I am familar with work, but I have no idea if Florida? works it the same way. You will have to pay for the "lost title" but it should only be a few bucks.

Get the bike before someone changes their mind............

KM

Thats the way it was for me when I got my buddy's KZ750 a few years back. It cost me $200 bucks for the title search here in PA.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
The Reanimater

Or if your devious..........See if the girl was a couple of things with her Ex's signature on them. Get the proper papers from the DMV.
Take a sheet of glass and sit it in your lap over a lamp.
Slow and steady.

Have her fill in everything else.

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
Splines Lubed
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 PM

a friend of mine works for dmv here in utah apply for a lost title then have her sign it over to you
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Go the lost title with a bill of sale from her route and see if that works. The only flaw in the plan of using a clean titled frame is that the engine number is part of the title, so you would still have a mismatch if an authority were to take an interest. Or, if it hasn't been registered in a while, see how long it takes vehicles to drop out of the DMV system in your state. I think CA is like 5 - 7 years and then the vehicle "no longer exists" as far as the computer knows. Then you start the application for title process.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
The Reanimater

What he needs to find out is if the title is just in her ex's name or if it's in both their names.
If it's in Both, then he needs to find out if it says "AND" "OR" on it.
If it's "OR" then she can sign the title over without needing her ex's signature.
If it's "AND" then both their signatures are needed.

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
Splines Lubed
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Well, I'm a FL attorney who recently went through something like this. What follows is NOT legal advice, per se, but is just my general observations.

You can look up the FL statues on line and see what they say. http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/

Basically, if the title is in her name and not encumbered by the claim of another party (like a bank financing the bike, or an "AND" owner) she can sign the title over to you. You then take the title and a bill of sale to the DMV and title the bike in your name.

If she has no paper copy of the title, she can go with you to the tax office and get a speedy replacement title that day. She could then sign it over to you and you could then go to teh DMV and register the bike in your name.

If the title is in someone else's name, or there is an encumberance, you need a court order appointing the title to her, then she can sign it over to you. A divorce decree seems like a good reason for a court to order the title appointed to her.

Another option is to just ask the guy if he has the title, and if he'd be willing to sign it over to you. As long as she's selling you her rights to the bike (via bill of sale), that might be a viable way to resolve this if all parties are in agreement with what's going on.

You can probably do all this yourselves without hiring counsel. Most stuff on this level can (and probably should) be resolved without getting us lawyer folk involved. Just double check the paperwork.

That's all I gots ta say.

You can PM me on this if you want.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Intelligent Redneck

Since this stuff varies so much from state to state, take the FL lawyers advise... with the lady, her divorce papers, and a bill of sale, you should be able to walk into a court without an attorney and take care of it yourself. There will likely still be a few court fees, filing fees, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement