How do you slow or stop rust in hidden areas like the exhaust heatshield clamps? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Question How do you slow or stop rust in hidden areas like the exhaust heatshield clamps?

Ok, I finally got my bike moved to a space where I can get around it somewhat easier, and I removed the right side exhaust heat shield yesterday to clean out some dirt and grass packed in there by my accident a year ago. I discovered that the back of the shield has quite a bit of rust pitting, and the clamps on either end have a lot of rust too, and it is not easily scraped out or brushed off.

I found a link to a product called Metal Rescue rust remover, http://www.metalrescue.com/?gclid=CO...CFR0Sagodv3aIC that I want to try. If it works, and cleans the bulk of the rust off the clamps, I want to apply something to resist the rust returning.

The only thing that comes to mind, that might work in the high temperature environment of the exhast pipe clamp, is some silver or aluminum colored high temerature paint. I have a can of black. Is light colored high temp paint available? I think that I have seen it in the past, but I`m not 100% sure right now about that or not.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for something better, that I might try?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-28-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Ok, I finally got my bike moved to a space where I can get around it somewhat easier, and I removed the right side exhaust heat shield yesterday to clean out some dirt and grass packed in there by my accident a year ago. I discovered that the back of the shield has quite a bit of rust pitting, and the clamps on either end have a lot of rust too, and it is not easily scraped out or brushed off.

I found a link to a product called Metal Rescue rust remover, http://www.metalrescue.com/?gclid=CO...CFR0Sagodv3aIC that I want to try. If it works, and cleans the bulk of the rust off the clamps, I want to apply something to resist the rust returning.

The only thing that comes to mind, that might work in the high temperature environment of the exhast pipe clamp, is some silver or aluminum colored high temerature paint. I have a can of black. Is light colored high temp paint available? I think that I have seen it in the past, but I`m not 100% sure right now about that or not.

You made your first mistake,looking behind stuff for trouble ,That is where it always hides,but joking aside OLHoss,you need to look for silver header paint it is usually in stock at most automotoves if you want a light color ,if you want a high temp black ,which I am bad to use it in areas like you are describing if it is in the shadows and covers well and kinda disappears or is not noticeable without a particularly close inspection .BBQ and stove black from the local hardware does a good job in high heat areas and is usually cheaper than header paint although you don't have the variety of colors to pick from. And buy yourself a wire brush wheel for your bench grinder if you have one ,rust will come off and you will be left with bare metal and then you can paint it or whatever ,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 06-28-2009 at 01:50 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Thanks denny. I have a wire wheel for my bench grinder and 2" and a 3" diameter brushes for my 3/8 drill chuck. The problem with the clamps is that half of it is riveted to the shield. You can`t get to the rust with a brush, a dremel tool, a Q-tip (or even dental floss, I don`t think). LOL. I`m hoping the liquid solution will soak the closed in areas and dissolve the rust that cannot be mechanically removed.

Now that you mention silver header paint, I`m sure that is what I was thinking of. The can of black spray paint I have is meant for a BBQ, and will probably work too, if I`m careful to wipe off any overspray from the front of the chrome, before it dries.

Just a short aside here, I hope you were able to avoid any rainstorms during any riding done today. You must have been cooled off by the time you got home yesterday.<S>

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks denny. I have a wire wheel for my bench grinder and 2" and a 3" diameter brushes for my 3/8 drill chuck. The problem with the clamps is that half of it is riveted to the shield. You can`t get to the rust with a brush, a dremel tool, a Q-tip (or even dental floss, I don`t think). LOL. I`m hoping the liquid solution will soak the closed in areas and dissolve the rust that cannot be mechanically removed.

Now that you mention silver header paint, I`m sure that is what I was thinking of. The can of black spray paint I have is meant for a BBQ, and will probably work too, if I`m careful to wipe off any overspray from the front of the chrome, before it dries.

Just a short aside here, I hope you were able to avoid any rainstorms during any riding done today. You must have been cooled off by the time you got home yesterday.<S>
off topic here but I noticed in another post that you had the same paint job as pam 1970 is your paint laid out like that or does it have the single teardrop like mine ,I like that look and I haven't got to ride any more since the Soaking,I have about 4 hours of cleaning to do, looks like and have been busy with church all weekend .

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Yes denny my paint is identical to Pams bike seen here: https://www.vn750.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1245602674

I really like it, and am not sure why folks want to remove the Kawaski decal from the tank. My windshield protected the tank in my fall down a year ago, and I just noticed last week that there is only one tiny mark on it, that I`m sure will polish right out.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Hoss --

When I removed the exhaust to degoat I found Mr. Spock's heat shield in the same condition. In fact the clamps and bolt on the shield were so rusted I had to cut them off with a hack saw. Mr. Spock had other higher priority fixes so I haven't done anything about the heat shield rust.

I've used a product called "Naval Jelly" on other areas of Mr. Spock with good success. You brush it on, let it soak, and hose/wipe it off. This removes the rust and helps to prevent new rust from forming. It's also a good treatment prior to painting. This is the same stuff that Fergy used on his rusted gas tank--works pretty good!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 PM

OHC your local automotive paint store should sell metal prep that is phosphoric acid based. Follow the instructions on the can and it will remove rust and form a protective coating. Just make sure you wash it off well and allow it to fully dry before using header paint.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes denny my paint is identical to Pams bike seen here: https://www.vn750.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1245602674

I really like it, and am not sure why folks want to remove the Kawaski decal from the tank. My windshield protected the tank in my fall down a year ago, and I just noticed last week that there is only one tiny mark on it, that I`m sure will polish right out.
I love that graphic's design on those tanks totally different than my '92 and the later models are even different than mine,I am one of those people who remove every thing not functional ,I like for people to say, hey what is that bike? The funniest one yet is when the mechanic at the Kawasaki shop asked me what it was when I went in for some parts.I even went farther than tank emblems, the handle bar clamp emblem was sawed out by yours truly and the two clamps were worked down with files and then polished good enough that you can't tell it used to be one piece,the emblem under the horns is removed and my horn is where the air box used to be under the tank,the only way ,if you do not know bikes ,to tell it is a Kaw is look at the frame tags that were masked before painting,I like things to eliminate as much excess as I can from a bike and if it is hideable I want to hide it,I'm kind of a less is more type person on my personal bikes although I do love one decked out with all the bells and whistles too.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement