Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Towing the VN750 with the Cycle-Tow

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  99vulcan750 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried one of these Cycle-Tow hitches and what do you think about the driveshaft spinning with the engine off?
http://www.cycle-tow.com

The device is a cool idea, saving weight and girth of a standard trailer, but I was curious to hear opinions of other vn750 owners or owners of othe bikes that have the similar driveshaft setup.

Their website only mentions, "On Japanese bikes with driveshafts, shaft removal is a big deal and not worth the time and expense. Some Japanese shaft bikes have separate oil reservoirs, and should be towable. You should ask your independent mechanic for an opinion on this."

Also, I'm in Illinois and I'm finding it hard to find information on laws for towing a vehicle in the state. (i.e. lights, plates, chains, etc.) I know what is required for a "trailer" but this is more of a "towbar". Anyone knowledgable on this also?

Thanks,
-Dave:beerchug:

#2 ·
I've never used one but that's because after lots and lots of research on ways to get my bike from point A to point B without riding it, I dismissed this one for 3 reason's:

1) The shaft drive issue you mentioned made it seem more cumbersome that its worth
2) The rear tire gets lots of wear, way more than the front, and I'm not riding her
3) For a couple hundred dollars more I could get a proper trailor.

JMHO...

#3 ·
I know this has come up on here, I believe the general conclusion was that it was a bad idea for the shaft drives. It still heats up and breaks down the oil in the final drive. Not to mention the tire wear from the weight of the bike placed on the rear tire.
Some thought it would be OK for short runs in an emergency but rarely.

#4 ·
Looks so counter-intuitive. Don't think I would want the wear on the tires or the hubs, etc. Plus, swerving around with the bike in back like that looks too easy to harm the bike.

I would consider a motorcycle carrier that gets both wheels off the ground, like THIS ONE for about $300 shipped.

#5 · (Edited)
I would consider a motorcycle carrier that gets both wheels off the ground, like THIS ONE for about $300 shipped.
Thanks for the link...i've been looking to find out more about this type of carrier too, but I've only seen scooters or mopeds on them.:smiley_th
I noticed an exclusion on their website, "Total hauling weight is calculated by adding the total weight of the motorcycle + 99 lbs (SMC-600R weight)" That puts the vn at the Max side of the capacity.

Thanks for the advice all! It doesn't look too safe for longer trips, the more I think about it.

#6 ·
Mama Kaw says no to towing with the wheels on the ground. As for the hitch mounted carrier be very careful. I was looking at one for my motorhome with a E450 chassis and was advised by Blue Ox that the weight at the length behind the axle would be to much. Hanging the bike in addition to the carriers weight off the rear end is a lot more strain than carrying weight over the axle. Make sure your crate can carry 500-600 lbs at the rear--check the owners manual and see what the max recommended tonque weight is for your vehicle. If it if not 600 lbs you are probably out of luck.

#7 ·
...Hanging the bike in addition to the carriers weight off the rear end is a lot more strain than carrying weight over the axle. Make sure your crate can carry 500-600 lbs at the rear--check the owners manual and see what the max recommended tonque weight is for your vehicle. If it if not 600 lbs you are probably out of luck.
Very good point.

#10 ·
I've got a 2004 Tundra. My after market hitch is rated for a tongue weight of 600 lbs, so I'd be pushing it with that much weight. Not sure how the handling would be affected with that much weight past the bumper, but don't think it would be good.

#11 ·
I'd get a 5x8 trailer.. only cost's $700-$800 and it can be used for anything, not just bikes..would pay off more int eh long run...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.