Please help with electrical problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Please help with electrical problem

Anything electrical on a bike or auto is my worse enemy. I am lost. The following components do not work: Headlights, Taillights, Caution Lights, Brake Lights, Oil and Neutral Guages, Temp Guage, Tach, Instrument Lights. The turn signals, both front and back work and the indicators on the dash work. EQPlayer suggested fuse which I checked. None of the fuses indicated broken. I even replaced the head fuse with the spare to see if I missed something. I traced wires as best I could with the seat removed. I did not remove the tank. I can't help but beleive that I am missing one thing that controls all these items. I'm sure someone out there has run into this. Please help, I don't want to take my bike to the dealer. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Love My Baby

Just a bit more detail please. When you say those components don't work, can I assume you mean that they don't work when the engine is running, and not just with the turn of the ignition key? This would mean that the ignition and starter is working, but not the other components.

Also, try turning the handlebars all the way to each side and see if any of the components work with the handlebars turned to one direction. This could indicate a short of some type. Let me know...

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:58 PM

Have you checked the electrical and ground connections, including those on the battery?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Nothing lights up when the enging is cranked or not cranked. The engine cranks with no problem. When I turn on the key, the neutral and oil light are off but the engine will crank. No change when I turn the handlebars.

750Doug, I checked the connections as best I could. I removed the headlamp but I did not rermove the tank. I'm not sure where all the connections are.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcole0915 View Post
Nothing lights up when the enging is cranked or not cranked. The engine cranks with no problem. When I turn on the key, the neutral and oil light are off but the engine will crank. No change when I turn the handlebars.

750Doug, I checked the connections as best I could. I removed the headlamp but I did not rermove the tank. I'm not sure where all the connections are.
try shaking the ignition key around in the on position and see if your oil and indicator lights flash or try to come on ,some one else on here had aproblem on here with an ignition switch corroded up inside

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to try that ignition thing. I've been having a few problems with my ignition switch. When I turned the switch on, the oil and neutral lights would come on, but when I pushrd the start button, nothing happened. It was as if the kill switch was off. Now, the bike will start, but the lights won't come on. I wrote in and asked about that and someone suggested I had water in my switch. I dismissed that because I have always parked my bike indoors. Could high Mississippi humidity cause corrosion in the switch? My bike is 4 years old and has about 27K.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:57 PM

Take the seat off and make sure all the electrical harness connectors are tightly connected, as well as the ones in the headlight bucket.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here is a link with instructions from the Vulcan Verses about to how to remove the ignition switch and clean the contacts. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...witch+cleaning

Some pics from the gallery of what the switch contacts look like, ie. ignition switch pics 1, 2, 3 and 4. https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=505

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-20-2009 at 04:19 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Love My Baby

lbcole0915, I think you have a high likelihood that it's an ignition switch problem, from your last post stating you had some problems with it before. There are several contacts on that switch and any of them could become corroded from humidity. Don't know if you live close to the gulf coast portion of Mississippi, but here in Ft. Lauderdale the salt and humidity really take a toll on metal contacts.

I know it looks like it's going to be too much work, but I know you can do it if you follow the links that OlHossCanada gave you. Don't know how old your bike is, but hopefully you won't have to re-solder anything, though I bet you will need to clean all the contacts real good and maybe stretch the springs a little. Buy some contact cleaner and di-electric grease before removing the ignition switch. Good luck...

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

Last edited by rubyrick; 06-20-2009 at 06:09 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Rubyrick, 750Doug, denny6006, Gemguy, and OlHossCanada. I want to thank you guys. You nailed it. When I got into my ignition switch I found a wire had become unsoldered. I soldered it back, put everything back together and everything came back on. Just an FYI, there is no way to get to the connector for the ignition switch without removing the tank. There is a little frame far under the tank that all the connectors fit into. Maybe thats just in the later model bikes, mine's a 2005. Again thanks guys. I couldn't stand the thoughrt of taking it to a dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement