Ya! Finally... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
1992 VN 750

Ya! Finally...

New (well, used set from California...) came in the mail! Got them at 10 am and by 1 pm the bike was back together and ready to go. Took about 15 seconds of cranking...some seriously odd sounding revs...then BAM...the bike simply came to life. It runs absolutely perfect now! Seafoam...what more can be said about this stuff???? Phenomenal change in the bike's character from the old carbs to these. Comes to life as soon as the starter is engaged...idles and accelerates superbly. I can't wait to get the V and H Kruzers on it next. They are sitting in the garage and ready to be installed.

From those that have them on their bikes...are they seriously loud? Do they pass US noise laws? Or am I going to have to have the bike inspected, drive home and put them on and then put the stock pipes back on next year for the inspection? The limit here is around 90 or 95 decibels measured 45 degrees off midway on the bike at idle and then again at 50% RPM limit.

I have no issue with waiting to put the pipes on later, but that girl in there wants me to do it right now...and who I am to keep her waiting??? After all...she is a fabulous ride and deserves whatever she wants!!

It has been a long 5 months...but the result was definitely worth the wait!

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs
MOSFET R/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM

In the liberalized State of Washington, there are attempts now with legislation, ANY alterations in stock exhaust on MOTORCYCLES (not other vehicles at this time), will fail inspection. This, if passed will be state wide. I say pull the pipes but save your stock air boxes, goat, and tips.

READ THIS

Noise Emissions Testing = I CAN FART 80db

" EPA sets the maximum noise emissions levels9-6 by measurement under a strict scientifically derived testing procedure (SAE j331a)9-7 to recreate the vehicles' maximum noise levels while under heavy acceleration. This test represents what can be expected in actual real world use. Currently the maximum noise emissions are 80dba for street motorcycles. This current noise emissions limit (or cap) offers the minimum level of protection to the public."

Here's another good one from Washington (this failed BTW): If you have a dirt bike riding on your private property and your neighbors can hear it, the bill was written so they had the right to file a complaint under EPA noise pollution. A cop would come to your house and inspect the exhaust. If you modified it, you got a ticket. This did not include weed eaters, lawn mowers, chain saws, private planes, cars. car stereos, just dirt bikes.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6

Last edited by dirtrack650; 06-13-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add link
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
1992 VN 750

Finished the German inspection...

Stock pipes were 92 decibels measured 45 degrees off the end at 1/2 meter. So...of course the V and H pipes are on now! A bit louder...more of a snarl and snap as it winds up and then it seems to quiet down after it revs. But I love the snarl and growl and snap and am looking forward to the next group ride with the Hardley crowd from work. They love HD so much they will do anything, and pay anything to sound better so maybe this will push some of them to spend $800 for V and H when it only cost me $360! Gotta love an affordable bike!

All seems good so far on the eastern front...check back in when I need more advice!

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs