Whats this indication light ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Whats this indication light ?

Hi all

I got my 1989 vn750 on monday and yesterday took it for its MOT after it had passed its test i took it for a ride but as it was raining hard, not too far.
On the way back i noticed a light come on briefly, on the instrument cluster the one that came on was the bottom right hand side one. What i dont know is what it means as the writing on that one is in japanese on a red cover ( which is strange as all the others are in english ) I wasnt too sure if it was something to do with the heavy rain. Today after taking it out for another run in the dry i noticed it came on consistently when i got to 4,5k rpm in the upper gears.
With this bike being new to me and not knowing its history i am concerned by this.

I have looked around the forum to try and see what that lamp is and when looking at dutter's post about his volt meter i see that it is white on his bike and has headlight written on it.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 PM

The bottom right light on my 89 is white and says headlight.The only red one is bottom center and it's the low oil pressure light.

Brian Manchester
'89 "GRIMM"

CUSTOM-Seat,quick detach backrest,2.5"slam brackets,Pipes,Fender struts,head light mount,9"rise dragbars,Grips,Mirrors, turnsignals,LED brake light/Lic.plate frame,Chopper headlight. Shaved,Jetted,coastered,polished forks,saddle&Tool bags,horns moved,180/70/15 rear tire!!! Yes a 180!!!!And other stuff.....
Springfield 1911-A1 Compact .45acp

03 F250 superduty 4x4 V-10 crew cab long box 33's,CAI,SS duals with magnaflow

04 durango AWD
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmc View Post
Hi all

I got my 1989 vn750 on monday and yesterday took it for its MOT after it had passed its test i took it for a ride but as it was raining hard, not too far.
On the way back i noticed a light come on briefly, on the instrument cluster the one that came on was the bottom right hand side one. What i dont know is what it means as the writing on that one is in japanese on a red cover ( which is strange as all the others are in english ) I wasnt too sure if it was something to do with the heavy rain. Today after taking it out for another run in the dry i noticed it came on consistently when i got to 4,5k rpm in the upper gears.
With this bike being new to me and not knowing its history i am concerned by this.

I have looked around the forum to try and see what that lamp is and when looking at dutter's post about his volt meter i see that it is white on his bike and has headlight written on it.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Red w/Japanese writing??

Can you take and post a picture of your warning light cluster?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Love My Baby

Where are you located, Shaunmc? That might be useful info. But it sounds like the PO may have made some changes to the cluster. If it is your oil pressure indicator, please don't ride your bike until you fix what, if anything, is wrong - you could seriously damage your engine.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Pics hope this helps

Instrument panel

And Bike

Hope this helps
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:06 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Hmm, you don't have the headlight indicator. It will light up if low or high beam burns out, at which time the working filiment will take over.

Interesting paint job! Don't think I've seen gold wheels yet. Looks good with the purple color.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Start the bike and see if you have both high and low beam. If not, I'd assume that light is the headlight indicator light. Maybe that's what it says in Japanese?

Was the PO a LSU fan (purple and gold)?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Red is usually the most serious indicator. I would verify oil level,, and quality before prolonged use at high speed. I hope it is just electrical, but I would take it seriously, untill proven otherwise. Strange that it comes only at higher rpm.

57 years experience,Zero accidents. Starting with 1947 Indian Chief. Now VN750 , V65 Magna, Burgman scooter.

Last edited by waggy1236; 06-12-2009 at 11:13 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys BUT i think i might have made some progress with with problem. After searching the www for quite some time i have found a few vz750 bikes on various countries auction sites with the same panel as mine. like this one in new Zealand

Then i started searching for vz750 owners manuals but have had no joy there but i did find this russian post that talks about a safe speed lamp indicator.

Quote:
This is pure «Japanese», and so the speedometer marked up to 180 km / h, and the «priborke» there is a lamp indicator exceeding a safe speed (80 km / h). The maximum speed on the speedometer to just over 175 km / h, then worked limiter . Но такие ритмы движения не для VX750. But such is not the rhythms of motion for VX750. Из-за прямой посадки водителя уже на скорости 145 км/ч за рулем не совсем комфортно. Because of the direct drivers of landing at the speed of 145 km / h at the wheel is not quite comfortable. О том, что этот аппарат не предназначен для скоростных променадов, говорят и тормоза. The fact that this unit is not designed for high-speed promenade, they say, and brakes. Если работа передних двухдисковых не вызывает нареканий, то с задним барабанным дела обстоят совсем по-другому – слабоват! If Dual front, satisfactory, the rear drum things are quite different - слабоват! Зато мотор употребляет бензин любого качества: как хороший АИ 95, так и низкосортный 92-ой. But the engine is using gasoline of any quality: how good the AI 95, and low-grade 92nd. И при этом радует отменной экономичностью – 6,2 литра на «сотню». And while pleased with excellent economy - at 6.2 liters «hundred».
Есть мнение, что долгое жизнепрепровождение с машиной оказывает влияние на владельца. It is felt that a long zhiznepreprovozhdenie machine has an impact on the owner. Соглашусь с этим утверждением, потому как за эти годы совместной жизни стал настоящим фанатом «американской серии» Kawasaki. Agree with this statement, because during these years of marriage has become a real fan of «American Series» Kawasaki. Пока мотоцикл меня полностью удовлетворяет своими возможностями, но не исключаю возможности, что скоро поменяю его на что-то более современное. So far, the bike I was completely satisfied by their abilities, but do not exclude the possibility that soon changed it to something more modern. Например, на VN1500. For example, the VN1500. Ведь все это плоды одной яблони! In fact, all fruits of one apple!
Sorry that this is getting a little long winded but i was worried my bike might be terminal.

Do you think that this is what the light is ?

Thanks in advance
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

This is the link to the russian page that i can now post as i have 5 posts

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...N%26start%3D50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement